FOX News: Solar Power pointless because insufficient sun!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingineer

Story from the Slate:
Thanks to Fox News and its expert commentators, millions of Americans now understand the real, hidden reason why Germany's solar-energy industry is so much further along than ours. Turns out it has nothing to do with the fact that Germany's government has long supported the industry far more generously, with policies like feed-in tariffs that stimulate investment in green technologies. No, the real reason is much simpler, explained a trio of journalists on Fox & Friends: It's always sunny in Germany!
Fox Business reporter Shibani Joshi said:
The problem is it's a cloudy day and it's raining, you're not gonna have it." Sure, California might get sun now and then, Joshi conceded, "but here on the East Coast, it's just not going to work.
Read Hilarious Article

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJN0B2RIIMI[/youtube]

-Phil

If you peel the skin off one of these people you can see they are androids underneath. Likely made by AV which also makes military drones.

---BREAKING NEWS---

Manufacturers admit that Solar Panels DO NOT work at night - all electricity generation claims by solar panel owners are over inflated and should not be trusted. Installing solar panels will leave your house without power at night. Don't be fooled by false claims.

With a 6.7 kW array, we generate about 15 mWh per year and consume about 10 mWh per year. I'm sure glad I didn't see that story before I made the decision to go solar and have the electric utility cut me a check every year for the excess that I generate. It is infuriating lopsided articles like this appear and unfortunate that most of the public gets its "facts" from these sound bites. The part about Germany is incredible. The reason they're so successful is because of subsidies. The underlying problem is that 1) the piece was put together to discredit Obama and 2) they never bring into the discussion the other environmental reasons for going solar or renewable in general and 3) the world could come to an end as we know it and they would still be championing the cheapest energy source even though it was killing us and 4) even without subsidies solar can have a reasonable payback of 10 years in the Sunbelt (where the greatest migration is occurring) and 20 years elsewhere. The problem is that people don't realize a 5% or 10% return on their money as a good thing when CDs are paying around 1%.

Actually mixed in with the stupidity about sunshine were some valid points, in particular the losing battle of trying to subsidize a domestic industry to compete against the dumping.

And before we sing the praises too loudly for the ever-popular Germany, look closer at the numbers, their 20% figure is for all renewables not just solar, compared to 10% in the U.S. So they've still got 80% coming from non-renewables. Is that a success, or are they just failing a little less badly than we are?

All that aside, is Germany just subsidizing individual PV installation more? And are they installing stuff made from their own industry, or just as many shipping containers full of cheap stuff from China as they can get their hands on?

LTLFTcomposite said:
All that aside, is Germany just subsidizing individual PV installation more? And are they installing stuff made from their own industry, or just as many shipping containers full of cheap stuff from China as they can get their hands on?
Chinese companies have manufacturing facilities in EU.

And before we sing the praises too loudly for the ever-popular Germany, look closer at the numbers, their 20% figure is for all renewables not just solar, compared to 10% in the U.S. So they've still got 80% coming from non-renewables. Is that a success, or are they just failing a little less badly than we are?

I'd gladly take 20% over 10%. Infact I'd gladly take 20% ZEV (or even just Plugins) over .001% that we have now.

BTW, what is the % of renewables that gets built every year (compared to all new power generation) ?

here is a take down of that complete with solar map.
http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2013/02/from-you-cant-make-this-stuff-up-files.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/02/07/fox-cedes-solar-industry-to-germany/192568" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(note: highly responsible and liberal. not recommended to citadel residents.)

But while Germany gets relatively little sunlight, it does have a more coherent national solar policy than the U.S., as Bloomberg Businessweek reported in October 2012:

Unlike the U.S., Germany has a national solar policy, a quick, inexpensive permitting process, and a national mandate that utilities sign up rooftop installations under what's known as a feed-in tariff--essentially a long-term contract whereby the utilities agree not just to allow the solar on their grids but also to buy the excess power from consumers.

The U.S. is lagging behind Germany in solar power generation, but it doesn't have anything to do with our solar potential. In fact, the Southwest has "among the best photovoltaic resources in the world," according to a report by GTM Research. And even the East Coast states have greater solar potential than Germany, as illustrated by this map from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory:

"Here in the US we prefer to concentrate all our focus on fracking. Its potentially lethal consequences give us that big thrill we love. That's what makes us so darned exceptional."

accept for the hard core Fox fans that have solar on their homes! I have one of those friends that just went for a 9.7 kW system and is showing the results on paper to his other foxites and it's turning heads. Personally, I see this crap on Fox like Rove on the night of the election, the race is about to be lost, they know it, and they are reflexively touting the party line even though it's obvious where things are headed. I can dream anyway!

TonyWilliams said:
The reality is that the group who watch this trash will lap up whatever is said.

Even considering the source is Fox News, this is exceptionally offensive and ludicrous. Offensive because it's such a blatant in-your-face falsehood, and ludicrous because it contradicts common, readily available knowledge.

We can only hope MSNBC picks up this story to shred Fox (once again) and the clueless eye candy masquerading as a journalist, Shibani Joshi, who delivered the scoop that Germany is a sun-drenched paradise.

Orwell would have certainly recognized Fox News and wagged his finger, saying "I told you so."

GaslessInSeattle said:
Personally, I see this crap on Fox like Rove on the night of the election, the race is about to be lost, they know it, and they are reflexively touting the party line even though it's obvious where things are headed.
Apparently not. As is well reported now, Romney's people really thought they were going to win - and he didn't even have a concession speech written. After Rove's antics, Romney decided to wait for more time to see if anything comes up. That is the reason he took a long time conceding.

The same thing, interestingly, repeated in Israel. Netanyahu's team did their own "unskewing" of the polls and were surprised when they lost seats.

It is now come a stage where the spin doctors have started to believe their own spin.

Joe-Btfsplk.jpg

All you young guys feel like you don't have anything to lose, bask in the glory. Wait till you get a little older and look to the day when you have to rely on what you've set aside you may see things differently.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/02/07/fox-cedes-solar-industry-to-germany/192568" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

check out that map, which shows Germany has the sunlight of Alaska.

LTLFTcomposite said:
All you young guys feel like you don't have anything to lose, bask in the glory. Wait till you get a little older and look to the day when you have to rely on what you've set aside you may see things differently.
huh?

what thread is this?

Back