FOR SALE: Red 2011 Nissan Leaf SL, A+ condition; SF Bay Area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up one identical to yours with 5900 miles for $17,500 + $450 shipping from southern cal to Oklahoma. It's unfortunate the values have dropped at such a rapid rate, but good for people like me who want an ev without sticker shock. I have looked at 13 s trims. The steel wheels and the lack of all the great options seemed to be my biggest turnoff. Also, I always buy cars. After the lease I was to purchase & my residual would not have been far from what the pre owned were going for. Despite the few extra goodies in the 13. It just made sense for me to pass and find a nice 11... As clean as yours looks. I don't think it's unreasonable.

cwerdna said:
Yep. One problem for me w/red is that it stands out and attracts unwanted police attention. I can't really put my finger on the other reasons why I don't like it.

As for black, the primary reason for my dislike is because it's hard to keep clean/dirt stands out. Looks great when clean though but needs extra work it keep it from looking bad. A much lower importance reason why I don't like black is that they get hotter in the sun than lighter ones.

I believe the statistics used to be that red cars got the most tickets, HOWEVER, I was surprised to read recently that color has changed to silver! As far as dirt goes, I've heard that excuse before and I don't buy it. ;) When your car is dirty, it's dirty (wash it!). Yes, dirt will be more obvious on a very light or very dark car, but how well the color camouflages dirt shouldn't be the barometer for frequency of washing. JMHO.

cwerdna said:
Yep. One problem for me w/red is that it stands out and attracts unwanted police attention. I can't really put my finger on the other reasons why I don't like it.

I've had 3 red cars for a total of 27 years, and the police thing is a myth. It's all about how you drive. I've had NO tickets since I've been driving as a teenager...Of course, some of that is luck, but in all the years of owning red cars I was only pulled over once (and let go).

It's all about how you drive...You can definitely have fun while driving as long as you're not grossly exceeding the speed limit (which would bring that attention)...

supra410 said:
I just picked up one identical to yours with 5900 miles for $17,500 + $450 shipping from southern cal to Oklahoma. ...Despite the few extra goodies in the 13. It just made sense for me to pass and find a nice 11...
Smart move. as I said yesterday, "I also think that at current prices, used LEAFs may be better values than new, if you don't desperately need any of the various improvements."

IMO, the used car market is currently valuing used BEVs much as if they suffered the same rate of physical deterioration, and had the same high long-term ownership costs, of ICEVs.

Once people figure out that BEVS don't require the expensive repairs ICEVs do as they age, and once the real costs of battery replacement become clear, those like you who took advantage of the current low used BEV prices, will probably benefit from extremely low total costs of ownership over time.

Congratulations on your "new" LEAF purchase.

I hope you will enjoy many years of reliable and enjoyable "Leafing" as I have for almost two years already, and expect to for many years in the future.

supra410 said:
I just picked up one identical to yours with 5900 miles for $17,500 + $450 shipping from southern cal to Oklahoma. It's unfortunate the values have dropped at such a rapid rate, but good for people like me who want an ev without sticker shock. I have looked at 13 s trims. The steel wheels and the lack of all the great options seemed to be my biggest turnoff. Also, I always buy cars. After the lease I was to purchase & my residual would not have been far from what the pre owned were going for. Despite the few extra goodies in the 13. It just made sense for me to pass and find a nice 11... As clean as yours looks. I don't think it's unreasonable.

not sure i can agree that the price drop was so extreme. it would have been around $35,000 minus 7500 minus at least a partial $5000 CA rebate which makes the price as little as $22,500.

guessing you giving back about $1666 ( a third more or less) so now we talking $24,000 minus 2 year depreciation? might be a bit more than the norm on devaluation but i think not significantly so

i think you got a good price but not unusual when the model is replaced by a better model with the huge price cuts. i also think that replacement batteries for your 2011 will be around here "shortly" for a very reasonable price on exchange

either way, glad you got your car sold. hope you enjoy your S!

eclecticflower said:
...As far as dirt goes, I've heard that excuse before and I don't buy it. ;) When your car is dirty, it's dirty (wash it!). Yes, dirt will be more obvious on a very light or very dark car, but how well the color camouflages dirt shouldn't be the barometer for frequency of washing. JMHO.
Depends on where you live and what sort of roads you drive on:

"Dirt Road LEAF"

A picture of one of those dirt roads: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9337&hilit=posing&start=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I had to wash my car every time I leave home it would get old quickly... I'm already washing it much more often than I did my other cars.

dgpcolorado said:
If I had to wash my car every time I leave home it would get old quickly... I'm already washing it much more often than I did my other cars.
At least during the colder winter months, my LEAF is almost perpetually dirty, worse than DGP's photo. This is pretty normal for many cars around here, many of which are not garaged.

It's a bummer when you try hosing off the car in the morning and the water turns to ice before you can towel it off the car.

I still like the inquisitive looks I get from other motorists when I drive around the balmy lowlands with snow and ice still on the car.

abasile said:
...It's a bummer when you try hosing off the car in the morning and the water turns to ice before you can towel it off the car...
Yes, been there, done that!

I gave up washing my car at home—in Winter the yard hydrant is buried under snow and hauling the hose in and out of the garage is a nuisance, but if I don't drain it and store it inside it freezes. And water is very expensive here. So I use a self-serve carwash instead; the convenience is worth the cost. The main thing I am concerned with is washing the magnesium chloride off the car. If it's just dirt I don't care so much.

dgpcolorado said:
abasile said:
...It's a bummer when you try hosing off the car in the morning and the water turns to ice before you can towel it off the car...
Yes, been there, done that!

I gave up washing my car at home—in Winter the yard hydrant is buried under snow and hauling the hose in and out of the garage is a nuisance, but if I don't drain it and store it inside it freezes. And water is very expensive here. So I use a self-serve carwash instead; the convenience is worth the cost. The main thing I am concerned with is washing the magnesium chloride off the car. If it's just dirt I don't care so much.

I just finished washing my LEAF.

I wash mine every 6 months, whether it needs it or not...

This time it really needed it. The snow patches and Mud puddles that have been on all my off-pavement driving since November all melted and dried up by a few weeks ago, and all the dust traps around the a rear hatch had filled up already.

Anyone else who lives off-pavement developed the habit of keeping a a Leaf blower handy in the Summer, to dust off their LEAF?

edatoakrun said:
I just finished washing my LEAF.

I wash mine every 6 months, whether it needs it or not...

This time it really needed it. The snow patches and Mud puddles that have been on all my off-pavement driving since November all melted and dried up by a few weeks ago, and all the dust traps around the a rear hatch had filled up already.

Anyone else who lives off-pavement developed the habit of keeping a a Leaf blower handy in the Summer, to dust off their LEAF?
No, good idea though. However, I frequently use the rear window wiper "dry" to swipe the dust off the window so I can see through it better. That's life on a dirt road (when it isn't muddy).

dgpcolorado said:
The main thing I am concerned with is washing the magnesium chloride off the car. If it's just dirt I don't care so much.
I agree that dirt by itself isn't much of an issue! Here the roads are "cindered" during the winter, i.e., sprinkled with volcanic cinder bits. Caltrans and San Bernardino County don't use salt, whether NaCl or MgCl2. So rust and other types of salt-related vehicle degradation are less of a concern.

abasile said:
dgpcolorado said:
The main thing I am concerned with is washing the magnesium chloride off the car. If it's just dirt I don't care so much.
I agree that dirt by itself isn't much of an issue! Here the roads are "cindered" during the winter, i.e., sprinkled with volcanic cinder bits. Caltrans and San Bernardino County don't use salt, whether NaCl or MgCl2. So rust and other types of salt-related vehicle degradation are less of a concern.
Anyone know why some states use salt (whether Mg or Na), while states such as California use sand (oor cinders, in Abasile's case)? I've never understood the rationale behind using a substance on the roads that is highly corrosive to steel, when wet. I find it hard to believe that salt is any cheaper or more widely available than sand.

GRA said:
Anyone know why some states use salt (whether Mg or Na), while states such as California use sand (oor cinders, in Abasile's case)? I've never understood the rationale behind using a substance on the roads that is highly corrosive to steel, when wet. I find it hard to believe that salt is any cheaper or more widely available than sand.
That's a good question. Although I can't seem to find documentation stating this, I've heard that it's considered desirable for environmental reasons to avoid the use of salt on roads passing through Forest Service lands.

GRA said:

My understanding is that old-fashioned, corrosive sodium chloride (rock salt) still has the best performance per dollar. Per http://water.greenventure.ca/road-salts-alternatives" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, sand only has a "minimum melting effect" whereas rock salt works down to minus 10 Celsius. That same website says sand is $3 per kg whereas rock salt is $5/kg.

There are more effective alternatives, but they are also much more expensive. Potassium acetate works done to minus 60 Celsius but is also 8 times the price of rock salt. However there is pressure to move away from rock salt for environmental reasons.

(I can't edit my post above for some reason so I'm adding this)

Basically, California's environmental laws, the relatively warm winter temps and relatively infrequent snowfall even in the snow country, and the fact we are broke allows us to use sand as opposed to the more aggressive de-icing chemicals that other states use.

GRA said:
Here sand is used on most roads (my tiny county, with its meager budget, uses coal fly ash because it is free; it makes for brutal dust clouds when bicycling after it dries out). But sand, usually decomposed granite in Colorado, is mixed with a bit of salt to keep it from freezing in large chunks when wet. It also is best stored under cover, which adds to the expense.

In recent years the DOT has started using magnesium chloride on some of the state and federal highways it manages because it is easy to spray a thin layer—a little goes a long way—and it prevents snow and ice from building up on roads. Mag chloride is also rather "sticky" (very hygroscopic) and a solution of it has a syrupy consistency, so it stays put for awhile. But that means that cars get coated in the brown goo. Mag chloride won't work well in very cold temperatures or for very heavy snowfalls, so they tend to use sand on high mountain passes.

The downside of sand is chipped/cracked windshields and sandblasted paint on the front of cars. This is less of an issue with the cinders used in California—which I remember well—because they are less dense than granite, and certainly not a problem with my county's fly ash. The other problem with sand is that unless it is swept up afterward, a great expense, it gets ground down to dust and adds to the particulates in the Denver metro area "brown cloud". It is also hard on roads until it is dispersed to the roadsides, sort of like studded tires on all vehicles for awhile. That is an advantage of mag chloride: no dust and reduced damage to asphalt roads. The salt spray can be hard on roadside trees and other vegetation though.

But the main use of mag chloride here in my county is to stabilize higher traffic dirt roads. The hygroscopic nature helps it hold fines together and it greatly reduces dust, scattering of fines, and makes dirt road surfaces last longer before needing to be regraded.

Plain old sodium chloride is not used in Colorado except in small amounts to keep sand from freezing in chunks when wet, as I mentioned above.

The problem with these salts is that the chloride ion catalyzes rust. And a catalyst doesn't get consumed in a reaction so a little goes a long way. Salts can also cause electrical shorting (the use of mag chloride on freeways near electrical substations has been a problem because the spray raised by traffic shorts out the insulators). But magging dirt roads adds considerably to the quality of life for those who drive them or live near them, so it is a trade-off. Just as those who live near the coasts get to deal with salt spray from the ocean in exchange for the pleasures of living there. And magging highways greatly reduces snow and ice traffic accidents—sliding off a road into a ravine or a cliff can ruin one's whole day... as my carpool partner will attest.

When it comes to keeping roads open in Winter, sand and salt beat cars sliding off roads and into one-another as the snowpacked roads get glazed by traffic. Shutting the entire state road system down in the Winter isn't a practical solution and just plowing isn't enough.

Back