First used Leaf on the market

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

Here's another thread to idle away your time on while you're waiting for that "pending" to change to a date. What do you think will be the reason for the first used Leaf on the market and when do you think it will happen?

My first guess is that it will be a repo. Someone will lose a job and not be able to make payments.

My next guess is typical buyer's remorse. Someone will find it just doesn't have the range they need, for example, maybe due to a job change or move farther away, or the second baby turns out to be triplets, etc.

Third choice is the car ends up in the hands of the non-user spouse, such as in a divorce settlement or unexpected demise of the guy (okay let's be sexist, it will be the guy who really wanted it) who actually bought it and wife/widow wants nothing to do with it.

Fourth: dealer demo or other unit from the test drive series maybe?

How soon - within two months of delivery, but when will that be? Keep watching the dashboard.

Then will it sell at a premium, assuming it isn't salvaged or damaged? There are plenty of people on this forum who might jump on it rather than wait months, but my guess is they'd have to get at least have the tax credit knocked off the price.

I look to see one on ebay within the next couple weeks as someone will want to try to make money. I will say that it will definitely not be me! I hope to be one of the original owners of one of the first 100 deliveries to reach at least 100k miles... I think that would be cool!

It will probably not be for a long time, probably not until many of them are shipped to areas of the country with absolutly miserable weather (Think: MN, ND, MA, NY, NJ, CT etc). The owner may have unexpected range issues with the usage of the resistive heater, and many winter traffic jams we have out here, resulting in unexpected multihour commutes in rain/snow/sleet, oh yeah, we know how to have fun... The Leaf will be fine for most of the commutes, except, the first time someone is caught in one of these situations, and has to limp home, or worse be towed, I predict a possible sale/tradein of a Leaf.

BTW, it won't be me, I'm in line for a Volt now, we'll see how that plays out.
Leaf reservation still in as well.

FYI "Road & Track February 2011" issue has a comparision article between the Leaf and the Volt. pages 58- 66

http://www.roadandtrack.com/connect/issue-table-of-contents/road-track-february-2011

I thought one of the conditions on at least the CA refund, and maybe the Fed tax credit too, was that you had to own the car for at least 3 years, or you would have to repay (part/all?) of the credit.

If so - it would really discourage someone from getting rid of their Leaf unless they could sell it for a substantial premium.

It's an interesting question about what happens to repayment obligations if the car is reposed or similar. It seems like someone wanting to make a quick $12500 could buy the car and never make a loan payment. Surely there is a bunch of legal gobble-de-gook that offers protections against this.

Good question!

I would guess the seller is not taking the $7500 rebate, and will try to get the dealer to "sell" the Leaf to the buyer directly, since that's the only way to get the fed credit, it won't qualify if its sold as a used car. Someone would have to be insane to pay $45K and NOT get the $7500 credit

LakeLeaf said:
I thought one of the conditions on at least the CA refund, and maybe the Fed tax credit too, was that you had to own the car for at least 3 years, or you would have to repay (part/all?) of the credit.
.......................snip
Yes, you'd have to cough up the credit ... but I wouldn't presume that the seller would even bother to apply for either. Remember, neither state or fed monies just show up de facto - you gotta apply. But yea, I was going to post the same question as the OP, and chose not to ... thinking it's just to depressing and cheezy to think some may do this.
Oh yea, almost forgot ... there ARE already 4 or 5 VOLTS that I've seen on ebay. Here's a link to completed listings, if it works without signing in:
http://motors.completed.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?MotorsShowItems&_trksid=p4506.c0.m283&_rdc=1&rt=nc&_fln=1&_nkw=Chevy+Volt&_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&LH_Complete=1&guest=1
Surprisingly few bidders, considering that someone paid well over $100K for one of the 1st to off the ass'y line.

U023 said:
Someone in Redwood City is trying to sell his ordered car at a premium.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/2131892696.html

I'm hoping it's NOT the one already delivered to Redwood City. That will really sicken me. But, it aint illegal

As I understand it:

Fed Tax Credit: Only the original purchaser of the new car, bought without the intention of selling it (leasing it is apparently OK), qualifies for the Fed Tax Credit.

The CA $5000 Rebate apparently requires ownership/Registration/use IN CA for 3 years to keep the full rebate.

hill said:
I'm hoping it's NOT the one already delivered to Redwood City. That will really sicken me. But, it aint illegal
The craigslist ad says "Estimated delivery is February 2011" so it isn't one that is already delivered.

TT

ttweed said:
hill said:
The craigslist ad says "Estimated delivery is February 2011" so it isn't one that is already delivered.

TT
I agree it's likely not gudy. That being said, one would be a total goof to actually tell their expected Month, if they wanted to pull this kind of stunt. You'd advertise Feb rather than Jan so as to deflect suspicion.
;)
Too many months working in the Public Defenders office . . . you tend to see things throug jade colored lenses. But yea, if you got your car in july, you'd say september. You CAN'T say you're expecting it in February and reasonably expect it to be hear because you may very well be faced with a delay. Delays ARE the predominant thing here ... so imo the seller would likely wait until they have possession prior to advertising.

I say we all mess w/ this person, and we all write up phony craigs lists adds (my wife's idea) saying we'll all sell for $10 over what we pay out the door. My wife .. she's so evil sometimes
:D

Several Volts have been up on eBay, one guy had about 5 or 6 listings, with each listing the price over MSRP kept dropping -- The auction ran out on 1/2/11, and he was going to just swap spots with someone else in line at his dealership to give himself more time to sell his used car (at least thats what he said in the eBay description). FYI, this guy wanted you to pay him the amount over invoice (that the eBay listing sold for), then you and he would meet up at the dealer, and you would pay the dealer the MSRP, so you would at least get the $7500 federal rebate that way...

everyone is trying to make a buck it seems

U023 said:
Someone in Redwood City is trying to sell his ordered car at a premium.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/2131892696.html

I haven't checked into all of the details, but apparently there is a new law in California in 2011 that allows you to lease your car.

Seems like you might be able to lease the car brand new via a car rental agency, which in turn rents it full time to one renter. At the end of three years, the renter could buy the car for the residual. Maybe some way to make a buck through that route.

You buy the LEAF, lease it to the "other person", and eventually (after 3 years), sell it.

Would that allow you to keep the CA $5000 Rebate, if the car continued to be registered in CA?

Back