First EVGo quick charge experience (failure)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like they took it to the evGo quick charge station and tried things most of the day.

According to Carwings they averaged 4.15 kw/h driving it there an back which is better than I usually do so kudos to them for that.

They are apparently ordering a new onboard charger, going to try swapping that out next week. They let me have the car back while we wait for the part.

The Nissan Versa loaner I had was HORRIBLE! No power engine that always felt like it was a bout 20 feet behind the car trying to catch up. Spartan and cheap feeling interior. Only had 320 miles on it, but felt years old. Sure was sweet getting back in the Leaf.

Cheezmo said:
The Nissan Versa loaner I had was HORRIBLE! No power engine that always felt like it was a bout 20 feet behind the car trying to catch up. Spartan and cheap feeling interior. Only had 320 miles on it, but felt years old. Sure was sweet getting back in the Leaf.

You might want to tell the NYT that they got it wrong and that the Leaf does not equal a Versa. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheezmo said:
The Nissan Versa loaner I had was HORRIBLE!
So, I wonder why Nissan kept trying to get me to test drive a Versa at the Philly Drive Electric event? They asked me 3 times; each time I declined saying: "I came here to drive a LEAF". I wonder what their intent of having Versas (3) at a Drive Electric event was? Hopefully, I'll never have to drive a Versa...

Probably so that after comparing them you would feel even better about the Leaf!

tps said:
So, I wonder why Nissan kept trying to get me to test drive a Versa at the Philly Drive Electric event? They asked me 3 times; each time I declined saying: "I came here to drive a LEAF". I wonder what their intent of having Versas (3) at a Drive Electric event was? Hopefully, I'll never have to drive a Versa...

Just an update. Still waiting for the part.

No quick charging for me.

Kind of bummed, was planning a trip for Saturday where it would be helpful. May have to take the ICE instead.

So it is in for service, spying with CarWings, it gave communication errors for a bit, now shows the battery has 0 charge (I dropped it off with 58%). So, things are disconnected, I guess. Will be fun to monitor them driving to the QC station and testing. Maybe I'll run down and meet them there...

Not encouraged. There as been enough charge taken off for them to drive to the QC station and back, a couple of "charge stopped messages" in the middle, but no sign that they got it to charge.

Waiting for the "we are going to order another part" call...

And there was much rejoicing...

IMG_0308.jpg

They called just before closing and said it was fixed, but wouldn't be ready for pickup until the morning. I can see now it is charging L2 so I'll pick it up first thing in the morning. Can't believe how much I've missed it, it is just a freaking car for goodness sakes, but it was nice I could check in on it with CarWings, my baby monitor.

Got it back.

Here is what was replaced...

296A0-3NA5A Charger Asmy
999MP-L25500P Nissan Long Lif

Notes mentioned that after replacement QC did not operate. They then checked all connectors and pins on 12 volt communication link between OBC DC/DC converter charge port and LBC and found Pin 24 in Connector B9 bent. Repaired connector retested system all OK.

So, it was a bent pin in a connector, but they replaced the whole charger assembly before checking for that.

Doh!

Cheezmo said:
. Can't believe how much I've missed it, it is just a freaking car for goodness sakes, but it was nice I could check in on it with CarWings, my baby monitor.

I hear ya.. The wife took it last weekend and was out with it for the whole day, and I was checking her driving efficiency on and off. Meanwhile I had to go for a quick errand and had to take the Honda van. Didn't like it one bit. First time I had to drive an ICE in nearly two months. It was only a short 10 mile round trip on my ICE, but after that I like my Leaf even more.

Cheezmo said:
So, it was a bent pin in a connector, but they replaced the whole charger assembly before checking for that.

Doh!
Doh is right! Especially considering the that the onboard charging assembly is primarily responsible for L1/L2 charging - does it have any electronics in it which are also active during QC charging?

I guess they now have a spare charger on hand. Expensive "repair" for them, though!

Worked today so didn't get a chance. They returned it this morning with a full charge. Will report my results probably Thursday. I may drive a tour of the 3 stations.

Did my first DC quick charge at the Addison evGo station at Walgreens today.

Started with around 50% charge. Charged to 100%, said it added about 11kwh and it took a little over 1/2 hour. (I was on the phone talking to solar panel installers so had something to do). It definitely got very slow near the end, adding .002kwh/second as I watched the display (assuming it was updating every second).

The battery temperature gauge in the car never budged from 6 bars. I though the battery was supposed to heat up and that is why the charging would slow down near the end. Hmm.

Back