Burned up power distribution module (EVgo charging)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaronLithium

Posting here for historical reference, location is question is currently offline:
https://www.plugshare.com/location/266774
I was able to successfully charge at that station 4 months or so ago. I plugged into the station with the Leaf turned off, and got an isolation fault error. Restarted the charge again, same fault. Called EVgo, reset the cabinet, plugged in again, same fault. Then I was told to try a different station in the area, and then I got the red screen in the car with an EV power error and no ability to drive the Leaf.

The dealer I took the Leaf to said when they got the car apart they smelled burning from the "power distribution module" and ended up replacing it under warranty. This same dealer also had to replace a second one in that same week.

According to the dealer, this has been an issue with chargers at Wawa gas stations, which (to my knowledge) are all EVgo chargers.

Not sure what else to do other than avoid EVgo chargers going forward... Which is tough since they are fairly prevalent on the east coast. Any ways to track down what was in that charging station that could have caused a problem? I think EVgo isn't going to be forthcoming with information given their role in this issue...

BaronLithium said:
Posting here for historical reference, location is question is currently offline:
https://www.plugshare.com/location/266774
I was able to successfully charge at that station 4 months or so ago. I plugged into the station with the Leaf turned off, and got an isolation fault error. Restarted the charge again, same fault. Called EVgo, reset the cabinet, plugged in again, same fault. Then I was told to try a different station in the area, and then I got the red screen in the car with an EV power error and no ability to drive the Leaf.

The dealer I took the Leaf to said when they got the car apart they smelled burning from the "power distribution module" and ended up replacing it under warranty. This same dealer also had to replace a second one in that same week.

According to the dealer, this has been an issue with chargers at Wawa gas stations, which (to my knowledge) are all EVgo chargers.

Not sure what else to do other than avoid EVgo chargers going forward... Which is tough since they are fairly prevalent on the east coast. Any ways to track down what was in that charging station that could have caused a problem? I think EVgo isn't going to be forthcoming with information given their role in this issue...

Not to defend EVgo, but since there are a lot of steps before the Leaf even connects the battery to the station (voltage test, isolation test, etc.) and by what you posted and what I read on the plugshare link, it really sounds like someone did some maintenance on the QC and wired up something wrong or in a very unsafe way. To burn through the PDM protections on a 12V signal means some insane power was being pushed through, maybe a 240v ac connection for example. If the dealership is replacing dozens Leaf components after they all try to charge at that station, it's a sign that something is really wrong and some insurance companies need to cough up some money to pay out all the repairs. Just imagine if you didn't have warranty and that $3K part plus labor would be an insane repair bill.

I have used EVgo DCQC chargers in the Phoenix area since their network first opened stations here. I don't use them often, but have never had an issue that damaged the car. I did have the 2015 set error codes once in a while when attempting to charge at both Blink and EVgo stations and would have been unable to charge if not for clearing the codes with LEAF Spy.

knightmb said:
Just imagine if you didn't have warranty and that $3K part plus labor would be an insane repair bill.

Definitely counting my blessings as far as how this is being handled. Picking up the Leaf today, I'm hoping to talk to a technician to see if there are any ideas as to what happened.

Back