EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a brochure from Leviton on their new EVSE line.

The Level 1 device is a neat smooth plastic unit with carrying handle.

The Level 2 device comes in 16A and 32A versions, no mention of adjustability. The pictured 16 amp version had a short line input cord terminated with what looks like a 240V 20A plug (horizontal "blades"). It is boxy, is meant to be plugged in and wall mounted, but looks to be a decent portable and/or "dryer outlet" solution by changing the plug.

The prewire kit is an EVSE wall-mounting plate, a 240v 20A outlet and junction box, and a weatherproof outlet cover box.

It'll be very interesting to know the price for the 16A plug-in EVSE. Maybe they'll say at the Green convention Tuesday evening. I'll bet it's less than $2200. ;)

DeaneG said:
The Level 2 device comes in 16A and 32A versions, no mention of adjustability. The pictured 16 amp version had a short line input cord terminated with what looks like a 240V 20A plug (horizontal "blades"). It is boxy, is meant to be plugged in and wall mounted, but looks to be a decent portable and/or "dryer outlet" solution by changing the plug.

So it is one of the standard plugs ? If Leviton does it so will others ...

evnow said:
DeaneG said:

So it is one of the standard plugs ? If Leviton does it so will others ...

Yep, standard plug, the outlet looks like 250V 15/20A NEMA 6-20 with a t-slot for one of the blades (to accept 15A or 20A 240V plugs with one blade in either orientation).

I would guess Leviton is up to date on the NEC, if they aren't writing it by now.

To be fair, the AV "$2200 fee" includes the evaluation, permits, a full legal install, a performance checkout test, and a 3-year "service" warranty.

When just buying a unit, comparison with the AV $725 price (if we could actually buy it) is perhaps ... more nearly fair.

The AV EVSE is at least a 30-amp "max" unit.
Presumably it can be set for 15 or 16 amps if installed on a 20-amp breaker circuit.
It might have a 24-amp setting for use with a 30-amp breaker.

Perhaps, after UL approval, it will be capable of 32 amps, we do not know.

DeaneG said:
Yep, standard plug, the outlet looks like 250V 15/20A NEMA 6-20 with a t-slot for one of the blades (to accept 15A or 20A 240V plugs with one blade in either orientation).
oooh ... oooh ... me want ... me want ! :p

That would be the perfect (can you spell nirvana ?) setup for the short-term (240*16=3.8kW) ... now, need price !

Leviton, ofcourse, is not known for inexpensive home automation.

Is this the 6-20 ?

http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/dept_id_971.htm

18920_sm.jpg

Here's a nice comprehensive overview for reference purposes: http://www.stayonline.com/reference-nema-straight-blade.aspx

And here's some more detail on NEMA 6: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector#NEMA_6

evnow said:
Leviton, ofcourse, is not known for inexpensive home automation.

Is this the 6-20 ?

http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/dept_id_971.htm

18920_sm.jpg

Not known? I would say known, I think you are thinking of Lutron, I use both lines and the pricing difference is huge Leviton is very affordable.

EVDRIVER said:
Not known? I would say known, I think you are thinking of Lutron, I use both lines and the pricing difference is huge Leviton is very affordable.

Oh - that seems right. I've been using Insteon in our house ...

My friend finally (after 2 weeks) got his AV bid from Nissan,
"only" $2339 for a 20-inch install, including $200 for the permit.

The "assessment" was 8 July by an AV rep., in South Orange County, CA.

What gauge wire did you run? 3 wires I assume?

Do you know if your wiring is good for a 6.6kW charger as well as a 3.3kW? I'd opt to install for the faster charger in the event they come available at some point - then I can just change it out.

No I wired 4 wires, L1, L2, Neutral and Ground. Black, Red, White and Green THHN 8AWG = 40A reduced by NEC 80* = 32Ampacity. The breaker is a Square D compatible 40A. I ran it inside EMT conduit about 25 feet. All this can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes for between $50-$75 depending on breaker and $/foot of wire and EMT. Home Depot was giving the 500ft role price on my 25 foot pieces while Lowes was more. That probably changes from place to place.

If I decided to make it an L1 dedicated outlet then I would change the breaker to 20A and only use L1 and install a 20A GFCI outlet at the location. It's ok to use oversize wire as long as the breaker is correct.

During my assessment, the Electrician basically said he would "make good money" on "standard installs" ( He said I was standard even with the wiring in place). He also said more complex jobs cost another $750 if I needed a new sub-panel run from the house and he would make almost nothing. So it appears the people AV has chosen have some rules on the estimate that take from the "easy" to subsidize the "difficult". I don't think they thought it through as the "easy" will just go elsewhere. He did mention he would give me a sixpack laughing when he mentioned I was standard. Not good!

Permit sounds high if South Orange County is backing the whole V rollout???

pgrovetom said:
What gauge wire did you run? 3 wires I assume?

Do you know if your wiring is good for a 6.6kW charger as well as a 3.3kW? I'd opt to install for the faster charger in the event they come available at some point - then I can just change it out.

No I wired 4 wires, L1, L2, Neutral and Ground. Black, Red, White and Green THHN 8AWG = 40A reduced by NEC 80* = 32Ampacity. The breaker is a Square D compatible 40A. I ran it inside EMT conduit about 25 feet. All this can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes for between $50-$75 depending on breaker and $/foot of wire and EMT. Home Depot was giving the 500ft role price on my 25 foot pieces while Lowes was more. That probably changes from place to place.

If I decided to make it an L1 dedicated outlet then I would change the breaker to 20A and only use L1 and install a 20A GFCI outlet at the location. It's ok to use oversize wire as long as the breaker is correct.

Mine is the same for now and if they choose not to discount the bid for the work done I will just have them run another conduit, breaker, and wire to the same location and use it as a spare or dedicated 120 outlet. Since it will still be considered "standard" they will have to do this all at the standard rate. Somehow I would bet they change their mind when they need to do the extra work and if not I may just wait and look at other alternatives on the open market.

garygid said:

My assessment in North LA was July 1st at 8am. The last time I looked at "My Account" on Nissan site, it showed under "Home Assessment", “quote pending” and that "we visited you on: 7/8/2010". I just checked again and it now says "we visited you on: 7/22/2010". No quote, no email, no phone call.

Anyone else getting the silent treatment? Who is incrementing the contact date? Is this to placate Nissan?

Back