EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep, i now have two electrician friends who would love to "affordably" put in a home charger for me...

I will buy the parts (likely the Leviton pre-box set up first), they will get the permits and put them in. Probably a hundred or so for the permit (things are cheaper in New Mexico) and a couple of hundred in labor.

200 for pre box...maybe 200 in labor at most...400 bucks and I'm ready for the home charger.

Depending on the charger...800 bucks probably...if portable, no install charges (but the charger will likely be a bit more for a plug and play portable L2 charger--lets say 1 grand minimum)...if I don't find or like a portable L2 and go home charger installed to wall, another couple hundred maybe...probably less. So easily less than 1500 for everything.

Gavin

EVDRIVER said:
Same with mine- wired right to the EVSE and the quote was $2400 with a SF permit fee of $250. NOt a peen off for all the noted work and quoted "easy install". I have a feeling AV is going to have some lost opportunities and strong competition.
@EVDRIVER; Two questions: Did you contact Nissan about the excessive quote? They told me to do that if I was concerned about the AV install and they would patch in AV to discuss.
Also, did you get your quote without submitting the notarized Property Owner's form? I haven't sent that in, and would rather not bother if I decide to bail on AV''s EVSE.

I wonder if AV couldn't care less about the customer gouging with these simple installs. It might be a relief to lose about 20% of the work since they don't seem to be able to keep up anyway. Shortsighted, but they act like they're totally unprepared to do as many installs as Nissan is requesting.

mwalsh said:
sparky said:
Also, did you get your quote without submitting the notarized Property Owner's form? I haven't sent that in, and would rather not bother if I decide to bail on AV''s EVSE.

You do know that form is just for renters and lessees, right?
Doh... thanks mwalsh. A case of RTFM!

@Gavin:
If you have electrician friends, why not invite them to apply to be a Leviton certified installer? ;) http://www.evrgreenchargers.com/Becomeaninstaller.htm

evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:
Same with mine- wired right to the EVSE and the quote was $2400 with a SF permit fee of $250. NOt a peen off for all the noted work and quoted "easy install". I have a feeling AV is going to have some lost opportunities and strong competition.

So, are you going to ask them to pull another line or skip them altogether ?

I think I may skip them all together and wait to see the options available. I can buy one and do it myself in less than an hour. I can't believe the permit fee is $250. It's akin to an outlet so I will just skip the entire process but I may call them for an explanation.

sparky said:
EVDRIVER said:
@EVDRIVER; Two questions: Did you contact Nissan about the excessive quote? They told me to do that if I was concerned about the AV install and they would patch in AV to discuss.

I wonder if AV couldn't care less about the customer gouging with these simple installs. It might be a relief to lose about 20% of the work since they don't seem to be able to keep up anyway. Shortsighted, but they act like they're totally unprepared to do as many installs as Nissan is requesting.

Called AV- they asked I write a email about this. They also have a Q&A on this and the answer is basically we see the need for a custom bid for pre-wired situations but we are not going to commit to a discount, so another words we know you saved us time and money but we are not going to take that into consideration unless you push the issue further. I may spend the time to see what they say but unless the difference is significant I would rather put the labor money to a higher power EVSE.

mwalsh said:
leaffan said:
I'm a little puzzled by this HOA approval thing. What does the HOA have to do with it if you have the EVSE installed inside your garage? I'm not planning on asking my HOA for ANY approvals for the charging system.

Oh, yes you are. If you're having AV do your install....then you're getting HOA approval, even if they would not normally need to be involved! AV will give you a form they must sign off on.

No, I'm not. :) Firstly, I'm planning on the free charger from the EV Project. Secondly, if that doesn't happen, I'm definitely NOT having AV do it so I see no point in getting any HOA approval.

garygid said:
The extra meter (read by the PU) would usually be outside.

A smart-meter, even if read electronicly, might still need to be outside for PU access.

Using the "dual meter adapter" (if allowed) would not require another breaker box, since it has the 40-amp dual-breaker included.

Extra meter? We already have a new Smart Meter, so why would I need another meter? We're on the EZ3 plan which only has a 3-hour on-peak time window. So I can charge the car anytime other than 3-6 PM @ .08/kwh. :D

Looks like AV has accepted my HOA paperwork - my assessment page changed to showing "quote pending" on Friday.

quote_pending.jpg

Is this man an AV employee? That's some pretty heavy AV positive spin he's putting down on Nissan Leaf FB page, as to why you shouldn't use an non-AV installer for your EVSE. Hometown is listed as Durate, which is a little too convenient for AV's offices in Monrovia:

cosgrove.jpg

mwalsh said:
Is this man an AV employee? That's some pretty heavy AV positive spin he's putting down on Nissan Leaf FB page, as to why you shouldn't use an non-AV installer for your EVSE. Hometown is listed as Durate, which is a little too convenient for AV's offices in Monrovia:

Possibly - but good to see AV feeling some heat.

mwalsh said:

cosgrove.jpg

He is he is really dishing out some bad information regarding tax credits, sure you can't get the tax credit if you do it yourself but he fails to mention you also don't need it because there is no labor paid and you do get the credit on any materials and the EVSE. The more I hear about AV bid pricing and marketing tactics the more I think people should hold out and look at alternatives. In addition they build unmanned aircraft for the military, a strange mix for supplying EVSE equipment, makes you think about their company a bit, not exactly set up to cut costs.

AV Assessment Completed Cost: For San Carlos, CA (half-way between San Francisco and San Jose)

Here's the breakdown: Standard Installation- $1,296.68
Charging dock, wall mount plus 25'cable $ 721.12
Install permit and processing $ 180.00
Shipping and delivery $ 49.95
Total $2,318.06

AV is WAY to costly. Save your money guys. Skip the assessment and get a Schneider, Leviton or anything but AV's product!!!

My install was one of the simplest to do. Outside already had a 200 amp service with 8 slots available. They just had to get a 40 amp breaker to install, run about 18-20" or 8 gauge wire for the box through the sheet rock garage wall, mount the unit, and have it inspected twice(once pre-install and again after) for the permit. It doesn't get any easier.

I'll be doing this myself with the extra circuits with the help of my electrician friend. My choice of charging unit is the Leviton. Total cost should be under $1,000.

I got my assessment done today. The guy was fro "Sprig Electric". Nice guy knew what he was talking about. I dont know much about this so he answered my questions patiently. My house is new (2007) so he was impressed that everything was simple and neat. he said that if I wanted it under 30 Ft its standard install and regardless the price is same. Gave me 2 options

1) Like the poste above. come via the wall to location i want less than 30 ft.

2) use the panel in my garage. Due to lack of extra ports, he said something like "Twin down" and use that option. He said its cleaner and better but obviousl if in future I wanted to expand then I might be limited.

Since the cost would be same, I chose to go with 1 for now.

If anyone is in SF Bay area and has ideas of getting the same done cheaper and better then count me in. May be we can do a group buy of charging station and get it installed through same guy....

Will update again when I get my official quote but I am sure it is not going to be any different...

Tks

gasmiser1 said:
AV is WAY to costly. Save your money guys. Skip the assessment and get a Schneider, Leviton or anything but AV's product!!!

I live about 50 miles south of you (in Gilroy) and have not yet committed to the AV installation; however, I do want to get something professionally done (I have not a DIY type, nor do I have any friends knowledgeable in electrical matters).

Can anyone provide contact info (either websites, email, or phone numbers) of places that will service my area that Nissan will find acceptable enough to still sell me a Leaf? "Leviton" was mentioned, but from what I can see of their website http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=17173&minisite=10026, they only have locations in NY, WA, and OR. And if I'm looking at the right place, I'm not sure if Schneider http://www.schneider-electric.us/support/sales-offices/ can handle me either (nearest office is SF).

I'm happy to go with the AeroVironment solution, if it's quality work, but I'm a bit hesitant if it truly is double the cost of others. I may just try to wait it out and see if the EV Project becomes available in my area, but I don't want to wait so long that I miss out on getting my Leaf if my number comes up sooner rather than later!

earther said:
gasmiser1 said:

I live about 50 miles south of you (in Gilroy) and have not yet committed to the AV installation; however, I do want to get something professionally done (I have not a DIY type, nor do I have any friends knowledgeable in electrical matters).

Can anyone provide contact info (either websites, email, or phone numbers) of places that will service my area that Nissan will find acceptable enough to still sell me a Leaf? "Leviton" was mentioned, but from what I can see of their website http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=17173&minisite=10026, they only have locations in NY, WA, and OR. And if I'm looking at the right place, I'm not sure if Schneider http://www.schneider-electric.us/support/sales-offices/ can handle me either (nearest office is SF).

I'm happy to go with the AeroVironment solution, if it's quality work, but I'm a bit hesitant if it truly is double the cost of others. I may just try to wait it out and see if the EV Project becomes available in my area, but I don't want to wait so long that I miss out on getting my Leaf if my number comes up sooner rather than later!

Check out "Leviton Evr-Green EVSE Info/Pics" thread in this forum. Also check out "Plug-in 2010" thread.

I went to the Plug-in 2010 show in SJ. Schneider company said they are interested in servicing the Bay Area as well. Any Licensed electrician should be able to prep your garage to handle any charging unit. I don't think the price of Leviton or Schneider chargers has been released yet. But both companies told me (off the record) they will beat AV's charging unit price.

Back