EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hill said:
... AV needs to step it up imo...

Or not. They'll either decide they want to stay competitive or the market will make them redundant. No sweat either way as long as we can get an EVSE.

AndyH said:
hill said:
... AV needs to step it up imo...

Or not. They'll either decide they want to stay competitive or the market will make them redundant. . . . . . . . . . . . snip

yep ... and maybe redundant quicker than imaginable. It seems AV's model is not going to be "all-weather". Some of the early delivery companies are not only UL approved already, many are ok for outside installation as well. But of course you pay extra for that convenience.

hill said:
They've got quite a selection of bigger models too. AV needs to step it up imo.

Depends on the price - and ability to drop it. Selection isn't a big concern at this point.

I think I will stick with level I until click and buy price competition kicks in.
Although I may get the AV if the $100 deposit will apply to product only and full install is not required.

Listen,

For those of you thinking of sticking with Level 1 for now to let the EVSE market shake out and give Leviton's EvrGreen and other new products come to market, I suggest you take a look at this:

http://www.nissanusa.com/ev/media/pdf/incentives/nissan-leaf-incentive-56.pdf

Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit said:
A tax credit is allowed equal to 50% of the cost of any qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property placed in service by the taxpayer during the taxable year. The cost will include certain installation costs. This credit may not exceed $50,000 for property subject to an allowance for depreciation and $2,000 for any other property. This credit is not refundable and will expire on 12/31/2010.

(Emphasis mine.) In other words, if you don't get your EVSE by December, it could cost you twice as much to install and you could be loosing as much as $2000 that you could have received.

Personally, I will be quite irate if Congress doesn't extend this credit another year, and they might still do, but with all the tea party members making headway in the upcoming elections, don't count on it. I for one am hoping to get a local electrician install the best unit on the market in November or December at the latest. As long as it's at least 6.6kW (7.2kW preferred), I'll probably be satisfied since I'm gonna pay the price as soon as the 6.6kW upgrade option is offered!

Again, use case: Sleep at 7pm, automatically start Level II charging for nearly depleted battery at 10p15 (within TOU), up at 3am and to the gym on a full charge.

And for some that may not even get the full $7500 tax credit for the car it would seem to make the credit for installing the EVSE to be effectively zero.
Maybe I am wrong.
Seems like you need to owe the tax before you will get a credit so if close, deductions should be moved to 2011 to spike 2010 tax liability.

smkettner said:
And for some that may not even get the full $7500 tax credit for the car it would seem to make the credit for installing the EVSE to be effectively zero.
Maybe I am wrong.
Seems like you need to owe the tax before you will get a credit so if close, deductions should be moved to 2011 to spike 2010 tax liability.
Yes, that's what "not refundable" means as quoted above by TimeHorse.

TimeHorse said:
...In other words, if you don't get your EVSE by December, it could cost you twice as much to install and you could be loosing as much as $2000 that you could have received.

Taxpayers subject to AMT won't get the EVSE credit anyway, so they can wait to see what happens without fear of further penalty.

TimeHorse said:
(Emphasis mine.) In other words, if you don't get your EVSE by December, it could cost you twice as much to install and you could be loosing as much as $2000 that you could have received.

To follow the letter of the law, make sure you put the charger to use in 2010. May be get a friend with Volt/Leaf to come and charge at your house once ....

Are you saying that in order to get the credit, the EVSE actually has to charge a vehicle to be considered "In Service" ?

MaryC said:
Are you saying that in order to get the credit, the EVSE actually has to charge a vehicle to be considered "In Service" ?

IANAL, but that is what I'd think. I guess the other interpretation would be that is should be opearational i.e. working.

evnow said:
MaryC said:

IANAL, but that is what I'd think. I guess the other interpretation would be that is should be opearational i.e. working.

To get a FEDERAL tax credit for an EVSE it must be installed in 2010, that's it. If that is the credit you are mentioning.

EVDRIVER said:
To get a FEDERAL tax credit for an EVSE it must be installed in 2010, that's it. If that is the credit you are mentioning.

Depends on the meaning of "placed in service". As I said, IANAL, but this came up earlier. THe consensus was, it should be used in the year, not just installed.

Code:
 qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property placed in service by the taxpayer during the taxable year

evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:

Depends on the meaning of "placed in service". As I said, IANAL, but this came up earlier. THe consensus was, it should be used in the year, not just installed.

Code:
 qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property placed in service by the taxpayer during the taxable year

Well then I suggest people call the IRS to confirm the got the remote activation code that the charger was used so your credit is processed:) Placed in service for an EVSE means functioning. Besides like all the other silliness about these credits a bit of common sense shoes there is no way they even know it was installed or not, it's all about the payment date and receipt, nothing more. We are talking about receipts here and the IRS not EPA inspections.

I believe the following:

The local city's Building Permit (which should be prominently displayed) will get a signoff date and signature by the city's inspector person. After that, it is legal for you to use the device.

The fully-functional (signed and dated) test results by the AV installer (if any) should be "proof" of FULL functionality.

The city's inspection sign-off should be the in-service date.

Although IRS audits are rare, this is worth checking into. In other contexts the IRS does consider that 'in service' means being used, not installed and available for use.

I wonder if the IRS computers will be programmed to check to see if there's also an EV credit being claimed when an EVSE credit is claimed? It's half a year away, but you guys who claim an EVSE credit when you don't yet have an EV please try to remember to let us know if you get an inquiry from the IRS.

evnow said:
MaryC said:

Yodrak said:
I wonder if the IRS computers will be programmed to check to see if there's also an EV credit being claimed when an EVSE credit is claimed? It's half a year away, but you guys who claim an EVSE credit when you don't yet have an EV please try to remember to let us know if you get an inquiry from the IRS.

That is unlikely. Afterall you could be buying a used EV or doing a conversion yourself ... but if you do get audited, the question might come up.

As a business owner that uses many credits I can tell you the IRS only cares if the form is filed, you have a receipt and can show proof of payment showing it was installed in 2010. They don't check permits because they are not required in all cases and they would not know that information regardles. They don't link to the DMV, they don't have a clue about most anything technical at this dollar level. When you take million dollar deductions then they care in detail. It's not worth their time to do all this cross check info and the bottom line is they want to see you completed the sale with labor. Gary, if you keep saying "Legal" I'm going to send the UL police to your home to inspect all your outlets and appliances for stickers and check if they are authentic. LOL!

Back