EVS charging cord vandalized while charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kbelling said:
How does Leafspy Pro work? I take it that it is a program I can download, but download to where? Sorry, I have never done this before when it relates to a car. Not to mention VERY new too the electric car thing. What are the steps I need to take? Thanks.
It's an app for either Android or Apple smart phones that reads data off of the data port under the steering wheel (accessories required). There's a huge thread on it.

The replacement charger came from Nissan.

Yes, it has a second charging port: A large one with a black cap and a the small one with an orange cap.

kbelling said:
The replacement charger came from Nissan.

Yes, it has a second charging port: A large one with a black cap and a the small one with an orange cap.
I just checked our car -- same setup. I confused the cap colors.

The larger port is used for 'fast charging,' aka DC charging. Some Nissan dealerships offer it, as well as some public (usually for fee) charging sites. Check plugshare.com and search for Chademo sites.

Since your replacement EVSE came from NIssan it does suggest a problem with the car's on-board charger (OBC.) I'm sorry to say that a visit to Nissan appears needed and I doubt you will like what they will have to say -- but I'll be happy to be wrong.

All the best

By the way, a short lingo lesson to avoid confusion:
EVSE: used for AC charging like at home. Connects on one end to an electric socket and to your car on the other end. It does not change electricity in any way, it is there as a safety measure. This is what you had vandalized.
OBC: attached to the car charging port inside the car, it takes the AC electricity and converts it to DC
J1772: the AC charging standard that has a handle (on your EVSE) and a port (on your car.)
DC charging: the OBC is outside the car, usually in some big box. The car OBC is bypassed. The Nissan variety uses the Chademo standard

Oh boy! Ok, well I certainly appreciate the education as well as all the awesome advice on this issue. I'm sure this sort of thing doesn't happen every day, however, I can't believe I am the first electric car owner to have this happen to, but who knows. Oh well, next steps. Thanks again!

So I just thought I'd go full circle on this conversation so others are aware. I did end up taking my 2016 Nissan Leaf into the Auburn Nissan dealership and they said none of the fuses were blown. However, apparently a code did pop up indicating that the whole charging system was fried when the charging cable was cut while charging the car. I am being told that a new "Power Distribution Module" is $2,000,00 to replace. Good thing I have insurance. On the other hand, I am still baffled why Nissan would build an electric car and not think that something like this could happen and not have a fail-safe shut off of some sort to prevent this type of damage from happening.

The act of cutting the cord while actively charging probably shorted 120VAC to the pilot or proximity wires, which are low voltage. That could easily have fried circuitry on those lines. It's such a rare and unusual occurrence, that the designer probably didn't bother to try and protect against it.

Hmmmm..........more good info to know. It just makes it worse when this is only a lease for me. Thanks Dave!

kbelling said:
Good thing I have insurance.
Wow, no kidding.

What insurance is it ? I presume home/renters, or do you mean car ?
If the insurance ends up not working then consider buying a used OBC. They look easy enough to install for a a person with basic 'electric skills and a tutorial that shows what to shut off first ;-)

One of the things about Nissan is that they use a rote approach to trouble-shooting that points them to a replacement, typically quite expensive, component. That sort of "I'm dumb but I can read an error code and look up the flowsheet" approach is available to anyone and used parts are much cheaper.

Yes, auto insurance. The dealership said the fried part is the Power Distribution Module that does the charging from either port. Is that the same as the part you referenced below, "used OBC"? Since it is a lease, I'm not sure if I am allowed to put used parts in it either.

Sounds like the part distal to the OBC but I am not expert.
Unfortunately, all too often neither is a Nissan dealership.

If insurance pays you probably should not try to be helpful.
You may also want to avoid volunteering that the damage occurred from vandalism unless you know for sure that insurance covers it.

Yes, I believe they do. I filed my claim with them about 30 minutes ago and I should be hearing from the adjuster soon. And I agree with you about dealership techs too. ;-)

About that replacement EVSE you bought from Nissan ... some $500 ?
Will it also be covered by insurance ?

There are much cheaper alternatives if not, including an L2 EVSE you plug into a dedicated high current socket that charges up to ~ 6x faster

The brand new one I got from the dealership is only on loan, but they did make it a point to tell me their cost is $800 and I would have to pay that if I didn't bring it back. So I ordered a used one on line for $300. And yes, I am going to ask if I can include that in my claim as well.

Isn't' the faster one, the type that you have install in your garage? If so, I was told that was $500 to buy and then $500 to install, however, the power company gives you $500 in credits on your bill to offset that cost. Since this is only a lease, I didn't want to install one of those. But thanks for the suggestion.

kbelling said:
The brand new one I got from the dealership is only on loan, but they did make it a point to tell me their cost is $800 and I would have to pay that if I didn't bring it back. So I ordered a used one on line for $300. And yes, I am going to ask if I can include that in my claim as well.

Isn't' the faster one, the type that you have install in your garage? If so, I was told that was $500 to buy and then $500 to install, however, the power company gives you $500 in credits on your bill to offset that cost. Since this is only a lease, I didn't want to install one of those. But thanks for the suggestion.

The less expensive and slower (but much faster than the NIssan EVSE) L2 start at ~ $350. Installation of the socket can be anywhere from ~ free if you have a dryer socket in the garage, to about $200 if you do not live in an expensive city and the outlet can be near your electric panel that has room for the breaker, up to thousands for fancy stuff. AND you take the EVSE with you when you move so the sunk cost is really only the installation.

The chief disadvantage is that you do not have an EVSE in the car anymore (if you ever bothered in the first place.) If the car is a lease then you are stuck getting a Nissan replacement since they will want it when you (presumably) return the car.

I wonder if the cable can be replaced. It might be worth contacting evseupgrade.com to ask.
Actually, here is a great deal: http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=25

Yes, I will be turning the car in at the end of my lease. I have a truck and two motorcycles already. I only got it as a short-term solution to my (no longer) four hour work commute. However, I still appreciate the educational information provided here because you never know when I might actually purchase an electric car in the future. So thank you all!

Back