eVgo monthly fees?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfscott

So when I bought my Leaf last weekend, the sales guy gave me this "No Charge to Charge" card that apparently gives free/discount charging for some period of time (I think it's 2 years?). It said I have to activate the card before using, so I went to their web site and activated it. Then it told me that I should join the networks I want to use. A quick scan of PlugShare showed me that most of the sites in my area were eVgo, so I registered with them first. It asked for a credit card, for what I supposed were any overage charges.

However, I then got a confirmation email from eVgo saying:

"You have preauthorized NRG eVgo to charge your credit card or bank account ranging from $0 - $125 on a recurring monthly basis on or around the day of the month on which you commenced service."

Is this something I should be concerned about? IOW, is there some undisclosed usage fee associated with the service? I didn't see anything about that when signing up, but I'm sure I accepted some T&Cs with miles and miles of fine print that might've contained something. I did a search here and saw the $450 bill from eVgo thread, so I am a little alarmed at this.

This also concerns me because while I'd like to have access to ChargePoint and Blink, if they're all going to hit me for a monthly fee, my economical EV suddenly becomes less so.

I've used the NCTC card on EVGo, Blink and ChargePoint chargers -- both 'Level 2' and DCQC -- over 100 times in the past seven months, without any charges to my credit card. Probably 90% on EVGo quick chargers. Maybe I'm just "one of the lucky ones", but I've had almost no problems (beyond trying to keep track of the card :)).

So, famous last words, but "I wouldn't worry about it." ;-)

As long as you registered it using the links on the EZ-Charge website, you should be fine. eVgo has a notoriously bad website and billing system, and my guess is you just got a poorly worded auto-generated email. You shouldn't get billed unless you use a charger that is not part of the No Charge to Charge program, or exceed the free time (1 hours on L2 chargers, 30min on DCQC). All the eVgo DCQC chargers I've used, automatically turn off at the 30 min point.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I think I'll go ahead and register with the other services as well and cross my fingers that I don't get any surprises.

Back