Even higher tire pressure?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BAsrican said:
What happens if your tire pressure is too high?

Can efficiency go down again if say, the dealer filled them to 47 psi instead of 42?

Is it dangerous?

Efficiency increase plateaus once you get above +40 PSI or your speed increases above +50 mph, so it wouldn't go down with a high PSI, but... having a really high PSI can affect high speed driving making the Leaf feel bouncy, suspension takes a hard hit with deep bumps, etc. If the tires are only rated for 44 PSI max *cold*, then you have a chance at a blow-out if the driving surface is really, really hot. It all depends on how you drive the EV more than anything.

I run all my tires at basically max sidewall pressure. For one thing tires never gain pressure(baring super hot temps) in fact when it gets cold they can lose as much as 10psi so again I feel safe running max. My most recent tires, Crossclimates have a max of 54psi, for those I did 52, 54 just seemed so high I didn't want a rock-hard ride. Years ago 36psi was generally the max on most tires, that seems to have been replaced by 44psi and again some newer tires are even over 50.

BAsrican said:
What happens if your tire pressure is too high?

Can efficiency go down again if say, the dealer filled them to 47 psi instead of 42?

Is it dangerous?

Higher pressure will:

Reduced tire contact patch will result in reduced traction.

Uneven wear, especially in the middle of the tire.

Tire is more susceptible to road hazard damage due to being too stiff.

Learjet said:
Tire is more susceptible to road hazard damage due to being too stiff.
And even that part is a double-edge sword, if the tire is too soft, a deep pothole can damage the rim instead. I've always rather have my tire damaged than rim. ;)

Short answer is yes, it can be dangerous, depending on the circumstances.

Max tire pressure cold is just that - a maximum design rating. Not a recommendation per se.

-b

The tires on my F250 truck are 70 psi, so you're not going to blow anything at 44 or 54.

nlspace said:
The tires on my F250 truck are 70 psi, so you're not going to blow anything at 44 or 54.

Blowoff pressure depends on a number of factors - cross sectional dimensions, rim width and design, etc.. . I've had bicycle tires rated to 120 psi. You can't extrapolate between designs.

Back