EV Reserved Parking Spots violators

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe it only went to those with ZEV stickers... It's not illegal to unplug but could, theoretically, subject the unplugee to a ticket or towing (thank you GM)...

garygid said:
DMV letter mailed out direct, probably just to registered EV/PHEV owners.
It is NOT illegal to unplug a charging EV/PHEV, as far as I know.

hill said:
NOW, under the NEW law, some plugin (for example) car can hog an airport spot for 2, 3, 4 weeks, and it's now illegal for you to unplug it, even if it's so you can draw enough juice just to crawl off.
Actually if the space is signed for AB475 then it's legal to unplug someone, but illegal to be unplugged. The car that got unplugged is towed.

Some other new laws for 2012 from the brilliant California legislature: ;)

• Nuisance Noise - If someone is making public noise late at night, everyone who hears it is fined $50.
  • Public Intoxication - If someone gets drunk, his sober "designated driver" is fined $500.
  • Reckless Driving & DUI - If one of the cars in an accident is found to have been driven recklessly and/or under the influence of drugs or alcohol, then the driver(s) of the other car(s) in the accident lose their drivers license and face probation or jail time.
  • Burglary - If your house is robbed, you face 90 days jail time.
  • Armed Robbery - If you are held up, you go to prison for 10-20 years.

TonyWilliams said:
CWO4Mann said:
Then he cut me off into the curb, got out of the car, and brandished his pocket knife, shouting, "Come on bitch".

I physically got out of my car, and ran

Why not just lock the car doors and call 911 from the safety of a locked vehicle? Or did you leave out some portion where you exited the vehicle before you saw the knife?

Good to know the jerk with the knife had to face the police either way.

I guess it's obvious but he isn't a typical Prius driver. It also goes to show how common hybrids have become when you see them mentioned in random crime stories.

Same garage, last Saturday night:
Black Mercedes: CA 6PEH974.
Took photos and emailed them to RWC police.

My taking photos seem to have dissuaded a SUV driver who was waiting to park in the EV spot and drove away.

tailgate1234 said:
Enough is enough. I am going to bump this thread because I have seen so many ICE cars parked in EV spaces lately. Last night was the last straw: at the parking garage for the movie theaters in Redwood City, a black Cadillac SUV was parked in the one of the EV spaces (the rest were full). Worse, as I was writing a love note about the space being for EVs, the owner came back and when I asked him why he was parked in an EV-only space, he started yelling at me that he parked there because the garage was full, that he didn't care (not his exact words :) ) if the space was for EVs and would I like to have my *** kicked? Even better, this was right in front of his young daughter and his mother or mother-in-law. So now I am going to start posting license plate numbers and if I can figure out how to do so, pictures.

Thank you, California 6MVP702.

Violator spotted at burbank public parking lot at orange grove
qapwIUJY

TonyWilliams said:
CWO4Mann said:
Telling someone "how would you like your ass kicked" is felony assault "placing the hearer in immediate fear of bodily harm"; any Citizen in Tennessee upon observing a felony being committed may perform a valid Citizen's Arrest with restraint, to include display or use of firearms, hand cuffs, and/or other measures needed to hold the suspect until the arrival of Sworn ..

A few months ago, I was stopped in a left turn, waiting for the to turn green. Behind me was a third generation Prius in gun metal grey. I looked down at something for a few seconds, and that car behind honked his horn. Ok, the light was green now, so I starting the left turn. I heard a huge ruckus from behind; it was the Prius engine revving while passing me in the intersection on my left. Then he cut me off into the curb, got out of the car, and brandished his pocket knife, shouting, "Come on bitch".

I physically got out of my car, and ran (sorry, no weapon of any kind, or I absolutely would have dropped him on the street). Unfortunately, my phone was sitting in the cup holder. I started yelling to get anybody's attention as a witness, but at noon time in suburbia, nobody was around. The "perp" gave up chasing me, and was returning to the cars. Now I'm thinking he'll gouge my paint, slice the tires, or steal my phone.

He got in his car and drove off. I ran back to my car, grabbed the phone and dialed 911, and accelerated to catch the guy and report his license plate. The good news; the LEAF had no problem catching up, and I gave the 911 operator the info she needed.

The city police were at my house in just a few minutes. they were on the radio coordinating their man hunt, and did get him. A middle aged guy in a new Prius... Who knew?

I had a run in with an EV hater as well. I was going 52 in a 45, he was still 12 inches from my back bumper in an SUV, he passed me on a double yellow. I honked when he passed (pre-horn upgrade)...didn't take it too well and then tried to get me to pull over to fight over the next 12 miles on the freeway until I took a quick exit when he was in front of me. Unfortunately that was the only day last year I forgot my cell phone at home. Soon after I installed a dash cam so I will always have it documented, cell phone or not. There are some super crazy people out there....be careful.

lettcco said:
Violator spotted at burbank public parking lot at orange grove

I do have to say from this angle, the signage is not all that clear. It looks like the handicapped/EV only spot might apply to the spot on the right.

Granted, it would take an idiot to not put 2 and 2 together with respect to what spot was for EV charging, but on a technicality they would probably get away with it.

Seems clear to me that the signage is NOT in front of the vet, when it easily could be. Also, where are the blue lines for the Handicap-Parking?

So, from what I can see here, I would have to say the vet is legal.

Also, it looks like towing is not a legal option (no tow-warning signage) from what I can see.

Alright... here is one for the group. What is wrong with this picture? Look at the signs... Ha.... I should make up some recycleable cards with them saying "You have parked in a low emissions space.... and your vehicle is not low emissions" - then leave them with the car who parked where they shouldn't have.

Attachments

• Low Emmissions Parking.jpg
    Low Emmissions Parking.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 173
TonyWilliams said:
Then he cut me off into the curb, got out of the car, and brandished his pocket knife, shouting, "Come on bitch".
That is so unbelievable. Not so much that it happened but that the guy was middle aged and driving a Prius. So much for stereotypes.

Glad it all worked out and no one was injured. He had to be on drugs or his girlfriend just left him or something.

batzman said:
Alright... here is one for the group. What is wrong with this picture? Look at the signs... Ha.... I should make up some recycleable cards with them saying "You have parked in a low emissions space.... and your vehicle is not low emissions" - then leave them with the car who parked where they shouldn't have.

LOL This is a funny pic... but as a moderator of a Vibe forum (and former Vibe owner), I would bet most Vibe owners would argue they do have a fuel efficient vehicle... The sign can be read as "low emissions" OR "fuel Efficient." But what is the definition of fuel efficient. My Vibe was pretty fuel efficient. These really are stupid parking spaces though. They have them here at IKEA in Ottawa only here they are just called "Hybrid" parking spots. I complained to IKEA that they should have charging stations there, otherwise I don't really see the point of the parking spot. I parked my Leaf there just for the hell of it even though technically its not "hybrid."

nanuq said:
batzman said:

LOL This is a funny pic... but as a moderator of a Vibe forum (and former Vibe owner), I would bet most Vibe owners would argue they do have a fuel efficient vehicle... The sign can be read as "low emissions" OR "fuel Efficient." But what is the definition of fuel efficient. My Vibe was pretty fuel efficient. These really are stupid parking spaces though. They have them here at IKEA in Ottawa only here they are just called "Hybrid" parking spots. I complained to IKEA that they should have charging stations there, otherwise I don't really see the point of the parking spot. I parked my Leaf there just for the hell of it even though technically its not "hybrid."

Installing signs that say this is enough for a 'check mark' when gearing up a business to be officially classified as green. A local bank has a branch which has solar panels and sells more to the grid than it buys. I thought it would be an easy sell to convince them to install chargers since the EV project wold pay for them. They had two of these 'low emission' vehicle signs and clearly had no intention of adding anything more to their parking lot. In their eyes it was 'already green' and met the criteria they had to comply with. Programs or legislation intended to encourage a behavior often place an upper limit on what will be done, the minimum standard becomes maximum anyone will do.

JPWhite said:
Installing signs that say this is enough for a 'check mark' when gearing up a business to be officially classified as green.

Agreed. My wife works for a parish in a new LEED certified building so they painted a few spots with that wording to get their check mark, even though those spots are (a) usually blocked off during school days when she works because of drop-off/pick-up driving patterns and the fact that the kids use that area for recess and (b) the spots are not that convenient for services on the weekends since the spots are in front of the remote LEED building and not the main church. Plus they don't seem to be at all interested in actually enforcing it anyway. Even so, I'm disappointed that they take this attitude (and have so far not been interested in installing an actual charging station) given that one of the things they advocate for is respect for the environment!

The problem here is a definition of terms... What IS a low emissions vehicle really? Our MDX SUV has a ULEV sticker on it, for example...

batzman said:

Back