EV Reserved Parking Spots violators

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Arizona ARS 28-876 regulates parking in charger spaces quoted below

28-876. Parking spaces for electric vehicles; civil penalty
A. A person shall not stop, stand or park a motor vehicle within any parking space specially designated for parking and fueling motor vehicles fueled exclusively by electricity unless the motor vehicle is powered by electricity and has been issued an alternative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker pursuant to section 28-2416.
B. If a law enforcement officer finds a motor vehicle in violation of this section, the law enforcement officer shall issue a complaint to the operator or other person in charge of the motor vehicle or, if an operator or other person is not present, to the registered owner of the motor vehicle for a civil traffic violation.
C. A person who is found responsible for a violation of this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least three hundred fifty dollars. Notwithstanding section 28-1554, the civil penalties collected pursuant to this subsection shall be deposited in the state general fund.

link to statute: http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00876.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

Parking in a handicap space is actually $100 cheaper, and just by the police seeing the space blocked they could write a ticket, though they likely don't know about this law.

BSmith said:

A. A person shall not stop, stand or park a motor vehicle within any parking space specially designated for parking and fueling motor vehicles fueled exclusively by electricity unless the motor vehicle is powered by electricity and has been issued an alternative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker pursuant to section 28-2416.
B. If a law enforcement officer finds a motor vehicle in violation of this section, the law enforcement officer shall issue a complaint to the operator or other person in charge of the motor vehicle or, if an operator or other person is not present, to the registered owner of the motor vehicle for a civil traffic violation.
C. A person who is found responsible for a violation of this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least three hundred fifty dollars. Notwithstanding section 28-1554, the civil penalties collected pursuant to this subsection shall be deposited in the state general fund.

link to statute: http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/00876.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

Parking in a handicap space is actually $100 cheaper, and just by the police seeing the space blocked they could write a ticket, though they likely don't know about this law.

Interesting the spaces are for all electric vehicles only. No Prius/Volt need apply.

So the spaces are for LEAF's, Tesla's etc.

BSmith said:

Wow! $350. Any clue when that law went into effect?

Note that you must have an electric license plate or sticker. In California, the EV Parking Stickers could serve the same purpose...

BSmith said:
and has been issued an alternative fuel vehicle special plate or sticker pursuant to section 28-2416.

mogur said:
Note that you must have an electric license plate or sticker.
I wish Pennsylvania offered EV license plates... It would certainly make EV parking enforcement a lot easier. They are just getting ready ro start building the public charging infrstructure here, why not do it right!

mogur said:
Note that you must have an electric license plate or sticker. In California, the EV Parking Stickers could serve the same purpose...

It isn't an 'electric' plate and the stickers were used for hybrids, but those stickers have been discontinued. Our blue plates now are for any alternative-fueled vehicle such as dedicated CNG, BEVs (all electric), H2, solar, but no more hybrids or bi-fuels.

It appears that an out-of-state EV, visiting AZ, cannot use the EV Parking/Charging spaces in AZ.

A bit short-sighted, perhaps?

In CA, out-of-state EVs (without the CA "EV" sticker) are likely to have a similar problem at the (currently very few) spaces that require the CA EV-sticker, right?

Funny, isnt it. Once we get to the point of "out of state" EV's, I would suspect range will be far less of an issue and therefore the need for alot of infrastructure.

It's a very funny problem. Demand for the thing (range/infrastructure) is also the thing that makes infrastructure less needed. What is that thing? High capacity batteries.

JPWhite said:
Interesting the spaces are for all electric vehicles only. No Prius/Volt need apply.

So the spaces are for LEAF's, Tesla's etc.

Both the plugin Prius and Volt will not be allowed to use these spaces. Private chargers, owned by businesses & individuals could allow them to charge but it would most likely be difficult to prove you have permission. Any conversion of an existing vehicle to electric will qualify for use of the chargers. I should also mention any electric vehicle in AZ can receive, if requested, a 5 year registration rather than a 1 or 2 since it doesn't need to be emissions tested.

TNleaf said:
Wow! $350. Any clue when that law went into effect?

The fine is steep to get the point across the first time. Illegally driving in an HOV lane in AZ is a $600 fine for example. If i remember correctly this law went into effect some time in the mid 90's before the previous EV infrastructure was installed.

garygid said:
It appears that an out-of-state EV, visiting AZ, cannot use the EV Parking/Charging spaces in AZ.

In CA, out-of-state EVs (without the CA "EV" sticker) are likely to have a similar problem at the (currently very few) spaces that require the CA EV-sticker, right?

It does seem short sighted, though CA stickers or plates would likely be accepted.
Visiting CA though will likely be problematic, the enforcement is a tad stricter, nonetheless this is something yet to be dealt with.
How is California's law writen? Does it require stickers for public charging or just HOV access?

TRONZ said:
Funny, isnt it. Once we get to the point of "out of state" EV's, I would suspect range will be far less of an issue and therefore the need for alot of infrastructure.

It's a very funny problem. Demand for the thing (range/infrastructure) is also the thing that makes infrastructure less needed. What is that thing? High capacity batteries.

I would imagine that the only time out of state EV's will be an issue in the near term will be moving or a competition. Odds are by the time easy interstate EV travel is possible either this law won't exist or will be a non issue because of infrastructure build out or some thing else like battery swapping or high capacity battery like systems.

BSmith said:
I should also mention any electric vehicle in AZ can receive, if requested, a 5 year registration rather than a 1 or 2 since it doesn't need to be emissions tested. The fine is steep to get the point across the first time. Illegally driving in an HOV lane in AZ is a $600 fine for example. If i remember correctly this law went into effect some time in the mid 90's before the previous EV infrastructure was installed. The AZ law only states that the vehicle must be exclusively fueled by electricity, not that you need an alt fuel plate or stickers.

A 5-year registration is only available IF you own the car. If you lease or finance, then two is the max.
$600 + court costs which makes it over $700.
Speaking of the plate, if you have a LEAF for example, and choose not to use the blue plate, you will pay the regular fees which would be close to $588 the first year, then it's reduced by 16.25% the next year. There's a formula for cars other than AFs. So even though we don't have any state incentives like CA, we save hundreds of dollars every year in registration fees. Unfortunately, hybrids such as Volts and PIPs no longer qualify. They allowed the first 10,000 fuel-efficient hybrids which included the Prius, Insight, and Honda Civic Hybrid, that's why you will see some Priuses without the blue plate and hybrid sticker.

BSmith said:
garygid said:
It does seem short sighted, though CA stickers or plates would likely be accepted.
Visiting CA though will likely be problematic, the enforcement is a tad stricter, nonetheless this is something yet to be dealt with.
How is California's law writen? Does it require stickers for public charging or just HOV access?

Without looking up the exact laws, my personal observations are:

#1: Solo carpool access in CA requires the carpool sticker, and they check carefully for it. I imagine that any solo driver without CA stickers (even with out of state plates) could be targeted for an expensive ticket.
#2: There is a separate EV parking sticker in CA, but I think they only check for it in a very limited number of places. Hard to know for sure, but chances are you could park and charge at most places without needing that parking sticker. Even if you got cited, the parking ticket fee would be a small fraction of what you would pay for a carpool violation.

My suggestion for out of state EV in CA:
#1: Stay out of the carpool lanes unless you have enough passengers.
#2: Park at any EV charge spot you find as I think it is very low risk of a ticket. (But pay attention if they have time limits on the parking lot.)

Enough is enough. I am going to bump this thread because I have seen so many ICE cars parked in EV spaces lately. Last night was the last straw: at the parking garage for the movie theaters in Redwood City, a black Cadillac SUV was parked in the one of the EV spaces (the rest were full). Worse, as I was writing a love note about the space being for EVs, the owner came back and when I asked him why he was parked in an EV-only space, he started yelling at me that he parked there because the garage was full, that he didn't care (not his exact words :) ) if the space was for EVs and would I like to have my *** kicked? Even better, this was right in front of his young daughter and his mother or mother-in-law. So now I am going to start posting license plate numbers and if I can figure out how to do so, pictures.

Thank you, California 6MVP702.

Fabio said:
In just a long weekend, every time I visited a garage with designated EV charging parking spaces (once in San Jose and twice in Redwood City) I saw the EV reserved spots being abused.

In San Jose, a Mercedes driver must have thought that EV stands for "Expensive Vehicle".
In Redwood City, both times a big SUV was taking two parking spaces (in this case EV must have been mistaken for "Enormous Vehicle").

Should we start taking pictures and report violators to the police?

As of January 1, 2012: Electric Vehicles (EV) must now be plugged in for refueling when occupying an EV-designated parking space, otherwise they may be towed. In addition, the law prohibits a person from obstructing, blocking, or otherwise barring access to an EV-designated parking space. (AB 475, Butler)
I got a letter from the DMV with this info also no more EV parking stickers needed on your vehicle, they are no longer valid as of January 1, 2012.

Gives us a little more leverage with abusers.

tailgate1234 said:
Enough is enough. I am going to bump this thread because I have seen so many ICE cars parked in EV spaces lately. Last night was the last straw: at the parking garage for the movie theaters in Redwood City, a black Cadillac SUV was parked in the one of the EV spaces (the rest were full). Worse, as I was writing a love note about the space being for EVs, the owner came back and when I asked him why he was parked in an EV-only space, he started yelling at me that he parked there because the garage was full, that he didn't care (not his exact words :) ) if the space was for EVs and would I like to have my *** kicked? Even better, this was right in front of his young daughter and his mother or mother-in-law. So now I am going to start posting license plate numbers and if I can figure out how to do so, pictures.

Thank you, California 6MVP702.

1. Tennessee has too many folks with concealed carry permits issued to see something like this happening except in the Projects and Ghetto neighborhoods. Telling someone "how would you like your ass kicked" is felony assault "placing the hearer in immediate fear of bodily harm"; any Citizen in Tennessee upon observing a felony being committed may perform a valid Citizen's Arrest with restraint, to include display or use of firearms, hand cuffs, and/or other measures needed to hold the suspect until the arrival of Sworn Peace Officer.

2. Over in Fentress County a local crack head parked his meth wagon in a handicapped spot and gave a ration of **** to the little old granny who was trying to park there so she could go shopping ... using her walker. He threatened her and she shot him. Pretty fair exchange I figure.

Just sayin' .. different strokes for different folks and all that ...

tailgate1234 said:
he started yelling at me that he parked there because the garage was full, that he didn't care (not his exact words :) ) if the space was for EVs and would I like to have my *** kicked?

After taking a cellphone pic of his car in the EV spot (with license plate clearly visible), I would have just called the authorities in his presence. He is clearly a person with anger management issues and I think he (and his family) would best be served in the long run by his having a talk with the police.

CWO4Mann said:
Telling someone "how would you like your ass kicked" is felony assault "placing the hearer in immediate fear of bodily harm"; any Citizen in Tennessee upon observing a felony being committed may perform a valid Citizen's Arrest with restraint, to include display or use of firearms, hand cuffs, and/or other measures needed to hold the suspect until the arrival of Sworn ..

A few months ago, I was stopped in a left turn, waiting for the to turn green. Behind me was a third generation Prius in gun metal grey. I looked down at something for a few seconds, and that car behind honked his horn. Ok, the light was green now, so I starting the left turn. I heard a huge ruckus from behind; it was the Prius engine revving while passing me in the intersection on my left. Then he cut me off into the curb, got out of the car, and brandished his pocket knife, shouting, "Come on bitch".

I physically got out of my car, and ran (sorry, no weapon of any kind, or I absolutely would have dropped him on the street). Unfortunately, my phone was sitting in the cup holder. I started yelling to get anybody's attention as a witness, but at noon time in suburbia, nobody was around. The "perp" gave up chasing me, and was returning to the cars. Now I'm thinking he'll gouge my paint, slice the tires, or steal my phone.

He got in his car and drove off. I ran back to my car, grabbed the phone and dialed 911, and accelerated to catch the guy and report his license plate. The good news; the LEAF had no problem catching up, and I gave the 911 operator the info she needed.

The city police were at my house in just a few minutes. they were on the radio coordinating their man hunt, and did get him. A middle aged guy in a new Prius... Who knew?

TonyWilliams said:
CWO4Mann said:
Telling someone "how would you like your ass kicked" is felony assault "placing the hearer in immediate fear of bodily harm"; any Citizen in Tennessee upon observing a felony being committed may perform a valid Citizen's Arrest with restraint, to include display or use of firearms, hand cuffs, and/or other measures needed to hold the suspect until the arrival of Sworn ..

A few months ago, I was stopped in a left turn, waiting for the to turn green. Behind me was a third generation Prius in gun metal grey. I looked down at something for a few seconds, and that car behind honked his horn. Ok, the light was green now, so I starting the left turn. I heard a huge ruckus from behind; it was the Prius engine revving while passing me in the intersection on my left. Then he cut me off into the curb, got out of the car, and brandished his pocket knife, shouting, "Come on bitch".

I physically got out of my car, and ran (sorry, no weapon of any kind, or I absolutely would have dropped him on the street). Unfortunately, my phone was sitting in the cup holder. I started yelling to get anybody's attention as a witness, but at noon time in suburbia, nobody was around. The "perp" gave up chasing me, and was returning to the cars. Now I'm thinking he'll gouge my paint, slice the tires, or steal my phone.

He got in his car and drove off. I ran back to my car, grabbed the phone and dialed 911, and accelerated to catch the guy and report his license plate. The good news; the LEAF had no problem catching up, and I gave the 911 operator the info she needed.

The city police were at my house in just a few minutes. they were on the radio coordinating their man hunt, and did get him. A middle aged guy in a new Prius... Who knew?

Good thing he had only a knife. But you did the right thing considering that you were unarmed and possibly a female (unless he used the term "bitch" in the jail-house sense). In my case I would have drawn my Sig p229 loaded with 9mm super velocity deep penetration Teflon coated hollow points and calmly directed him to put down the knife and lie flat on his face on the ground, advised him of his Miranda Rights and then called the PO-lice. OTOH, If there had been credible witnesses around observing, I could have killed him him, but considering that there were no witnesses around, it would have been prudent to use the path of least force. I would say the fellow's Karma is bad .. if he does stuff like that often he is bound to run into someone who will decide to make HIM their bitch one way or another.

Road Rage is a type of mental illness and Road Ragers are very, very dangerous ... my advice is to avoid them all together including running away on foot or by vehicle before pursuing stronger action to remove the road ragers from the gene pool. Bad ju-ju all around.

Dave

It appears that the DMV letter is a bit misleading. Unless the parking Lot or space is properly posted with a towing warning, I believe that AB475 does not apply.

If a space is marked as requiring the CA state "EV" sticker, as of tomorrow (1 Jan 2012) the state EV sticker requirement "vanishes", but some local jurisdictions (like Santa Monica) might have other requirements.

Spaces can still be posted for EVs Only, I believe, by the owners of the property.

However, if signs warn of towing ... be cautious in using those facilities.

hobbyguy said:
As of January 1, 2012: Electric Vehicles (EV) must now be plugged in for refueling when occupying an EV-designated parking space, otherwise they may be towed. In addition, the law prohibits a person from obstructing, blocking, or otherwise barring access to an EV-designated parking space. (AB 475, Butler)
I got a letter from the DMV with this info also no more EV parking stickers needed on your vehicle, they are no longer valid as of January 1, 2012.

Gives us a little more leverage with abusers.
No, it'll get EV'rs mor PO'd ... because NOW, under the NEW law, some plugin (for example) car can hog an airport spot for 2, 3, 4 weeks, and it's now illegal for you to unplug it, even if it's so you can draw enough juice just to crawl off. Presuming you're talking about the CA law change. yep. So now, even if the long term parking person leaves a note stating "go ahead & unplug my car cuz it'll be full in just 2 hours, & I won't be back for weeks" ... too bad. GM sponsored the law change, to make it as easy as possible on the Volt, regardless of any one else's dire need. Yep, welcome to the new pre banko GM.

Back