EV Project participants - you can only select SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mossyleaf said:
I just posed the question to someone who should have the answer. Will post the response as soon as I have it.

But Mark Perry just gave us the answer today: Mark Perry, Nissan's Communications guru for North America, has told me that all the LEAFs that are being sold to people in the initial launch markets (the same ones that are part of the EV Project run by ECOtality: California, Washington, Oregon, Arizona and Tennessee) will have the DC fast charger installed for free.

leaffan said:
But Mark Perry just gave us the answer today: Mark Perry, Nissan's Communications guru for North America, has told me that all the LEAFs that are being sold to people in the initial launch markets (the same ones that are part of the EV Project run by ECOtality: California, Washington, Oregon, Arizona and Tennessee) will have the DC fast charger installed for free.

No he didn't. Check this post - he was misquoted / misunderstood.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=18958#p18958

Yep...quote is:

"For those customers in the 5 DOE project launch states who meet the research criteria and are willing to participate in the study for 2 years, one of the benefits is a 'free option' for a DC fast Charger," said Perry in an email. "The option will be available to all, (in those states and across the nation) but only a small subset (5,700 LEAF owners who will participate in the research study) will have the cost subsidized by a DOE grant."

Gavin

Some of the Standards gurus on this board may know this better than I...

Please tell me if this is correct or not...

It appears that I'm hearing Nissan folks refer to the left-hand charging receptacle as the "DC Fast Charger" port. Others are calling it L3, but I'm starting to think that it can't be called L3 yet because that SAE connector hasn't been finalized yet by the Standards group. They could vote on an all together different connector than the TEPCO connection, such as, perhaps, a modified J1772 connector. I understand that GM wants one connector for their Volt.

So Nissan can't really call the DC Fast charge port an "L3" port because the standard may go in a different direction? Of course, that would require some retrofits or adapters on the chargers and cars in the field at that point...

Does that make sense? It won't be "L3" until the Standards body decides the connector?

Randy said:
Some of the Standards gurus on this board may know this better than I...

Please tell me if this is correct or not...

It appears that I'm hearing Nissan folks refer to the left-hand charging receptacle as the "DC Fast Charger" port. Others are calling it L3, but I'm starting to think that it can't be called L3 yet because that SAE connector hasn't been finalized yet by the Standards group. They could vote on an all together different connector than the TEPCO connection, such as, perhaps, a modified J1772 connector. I understand that GM wants one connector for their Volt.

So Nissan can't really call the DC Fast charge port an "L3" port because the standard may go in a different direction? Of course, that would require some retrofits or adapters on the chargers and cars in the field at that point...

Does that make sense? It won't be "L3" until the Standards body decides the connector?

Technically, I believe you are correct, but it is much easier to type L3 than DC fast charge port. ;)

This thread is moot. EV Project locks you into an SL model, even if you don't want to pay for it. Tough. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Randy said:

Level 3 is the old name. There will be nothing like that. The correct term is DC Fast Charge.

I would love a free EVSE and free DC fast charge port...EV Project give me a call :)

sadly nobody cares much about New Mexico...heck most of the country thinks we're a foreign nation...at the airport I see people pulling out their passports all the time..."no ma'am, I don't need to see your passport...no ma'am I can't stamp your passport, believe it or not you're still in the USA."

Gavin

Gavin said:
sadly nobody cares much about New Mexico...heck most of the country thinks we're a foreign nation...at the airport I see people pulling out their passports all the time..."no ma'am, I don't need to see your passport...no ma'am I can't stamp your passport, believe it or not you're still in the USA."

LOL. Think about Hawaii - even fox news pundits confuse that for a foreign country ;-)

WWBD said:
This thread is moot. EV Project locks you into an SL model, even if you don't want to pay for it. Tough. :evil: :evil: :evil:

You can look at it from a different perspective. If you do the math, it can come out to be about the same total cost. EV project charge station is free, so you can save around $1k ($2k install cost - $1k government rebate) for the charge station, and have to pay about an extra $1k for the higher-end Leaf model.

So that's like getting a free Leaf upgrade! :cool:

On the other hand, if your charge station installation cost was going to be on the low end, closer to $650 ($1300 - $650 government rebate), you'd be forced to spend about $350 for the Leaf upgrade.

If your charge station install cost was going to be on the high end, you wouldn't get accepted into the EV project, so nobody would end up with the higher end Leaf for less total cost than the base model.

Randy said:
It appears that I'm hearing Nissan folks refer to the left-hand charging receptacle as the "DC Fast Charger" port. Others are calling it L3, but I'm starting to think that it can't be called L3 yet because that SAE connector hasn't been finalized yet by the Standards group. They could vote on an all together different connector than the TEPCO connection, such as, perhaps, a modified J1772 connector. I understand that GM wants one connector for their Volt. ...

And now Europeans want a single plug too.

http://www.plugincars.com/europeans-push-new-charger-plug-76135.html

I can't believe that all these people think that drivers will have such a difficult time with "put the big plug in the big socket or the small plug in the small socket." It's hard to believe that a single more complex socket would be greatly less expensive than the Leaf's two simpler sockets. Sheesh. How often do drivers get their gasoline and diesel nozzles mixed up?

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from."
- Andrew S Tannenbaum

Back