Buy a Leaf while waiting for an ID.4?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LHN said:
Thank you for this! Now I am looking at a used Leaf SL Plus--wouldn't qualify for the tax credit but also not as much money. I appreciate your comments on the ID.4 and something to think about.
Not worth it to buy a used SL Plus in this market. Better to buy new and take the tax credit.

knightmb said:
Yeah, just looked at the Form 8936, since it doesn't say how far you have to drive it, I guess out of the dealership parking lot should be far enough. :lol:
IRS said:
To be eligible for the electric vehicle tax credit, a taxpayer must have purchased their four-wheeled electric plug-in vehicle during or after 2010, or their two-wheeled plug-in vehicle between 2015 and the end of 2021, as noted above, and begun driving it in the same year when the credit is claimed. The vehicle must be new at the time of purchase; there is no tax credit for used electric vehicles.
AND
You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others,
and not for resale.

^^ This is why I say that speculation is discouraged. I don't know how the IRS would draw a line where speculation ends after sales/property tax is paid, but I make it a rule to avoid arguments with the IRS

SageBrush said:
knightmb said:
Yeah, just looked at the Form 8936, since it doesn't say how far you have to drive it, I guess out of the dealership parking lot should be far enough. :lol:
IRS said:
To be eligible for the electric vehicle tax credit, a taxpayer must have purchased their four-wheeled electric plug-in vehicle during or after 2010, or their two-wheeled plug-in vehicle between 2015 and the end of 2021, as noted above, and begun driving it in the same year when the credit is claimed. The vehicle must be new at the time of purchase; there is no tax credit for used electric vehicles.
AND
You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others,
and not for resale.

^^ This is why I say that speculation is discouraged. I don't know how the IRS would draw a line where speculation ends after sales/property tax is paid, but I make it a rule to never have to argue with the IRS
That's a good point, I always thought it was to discourage dealerships or investors from doing that in bulk to milk the government, but I guess it could easily apply to a person as well.
I did notice they added this below probably in the spirit of that. :?
https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8910 said:
If you are the seller of an alternative motor vehicle to a tax-exempt organization, governmental unit, or a foreign person or entity, and the use of that vehicle is described in section 50(b)(3) or (4), you can claim the credit, but only if you clearly disclose in writing to the purchaser the amount of the tentative credit allowable for the vehicle (from line 6 of Form 8910). Treat all vehicles eligible for this exception as business/investment property. If you elect to claim the credit, you must reduce cost of goods sold by the amount you entered on line 6 for that vehicle.

Well, I decided to go for it! Instead of buying a new Leaf from the dealer, I found a good deal on a 2019 SL Plus, with 6300 miles. It is coming from NY and if the weather is good, should arrive here at my home on Wed March 9. I am very excited! At the gas station I drive by several times a week the prices have been climbing: $3.59 on Monday; $3.79 on Wednesday; $3.85 on Thursday. At the station across the street, gas was $3.99/gal last night. Even the "cheap" place is selling gas at $3.89 for the cash price--I think they tack on 10 cents for a credit card. I feel like I picked the exact right moment to move to an EV.

The electrician is coming tomorrow to install the EVSE--I went with the ChargePoint Home Flex.

I don't have to drive everyday (I work from home 3 days/wk) so I am curious if my husband will want to use the Leaf for his commute (which is about 30 miles RT everyday). I am wondering if instead of having "his" car and "my" car (which is the way we have always done it), I am wondering if it will become "primary" car (EV) and then use both cars on the days we both need to drive. I am curious to see exactly what evolves. I am fine with him driving the Leaf as long as he keeps it neat!

I am very excited and looking forward to this new chapter in my driving life!

Hopefully it isn't too crazy expensive. https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2022-nissan-leaf-press-kit under the pricing tab has the MSRPs.

I know tax credit has come up. If you can't qualify for the full $7500, can you generate taxable events to bring up your Federal tax liability to $7500 (e.g. converting some traditional IRA $ to Roth IRA)?

The car I am buying is used, so I won't qualify for the federal tax credit.

I think I got a good deal--I did my research. I am getting more money for the car I am selling (through Vroom). By the time I figure in the sales tax, registration, installation of the EVSE, and shipping, I'll have $0 leftover, but I am not paying anything extra. Sort of like getting a car for free! The car I am selling is a 2019 with 11,600 miles; this one is a 2019 with 6300 miles. I feel like I am coming out ahead.

You're going to love it. Be prepared for a big drop in range in cold weather but with a Plus that shouldn't be too big an issue.

LHN said:
The car I am buying is used, so I won't qualify for the federal tax credit.
I understand but given that the crazy used car market, the much higher MSRP of a '19 Leaf (including SL Plus) when it was new: see https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/us-2019-nissan-leaf-plus and not being able to tax the Federal tax credit might mean it's not a good deal vs. a new one and taking whatever tax credit you can.

I posted about the crazy prices for used Leafs back in Oct 2021 at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=31419&p=611713&hilit=auction+closing#p611713. It made 0 sense to buy those used Leafs given that warranty clock already started ticking or the basic warranty was already over + them being overpriced vs a new one minus tax credit.

New '22 Leaf SL Plus if bought at MSRP + $1025 dest fee - $7500 Federal tax credit = $30,925, not including tax, doc fee and license. Pricing at https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2022-nissan-leaf-press-kit.

Too late, I think OP already bought the car. We tried to tell her it's better to buy new in this market. Oh well, if she's happy with her car, that's all that matters.

goldbrick said:
You're going to love it. Be prepared for a big drop in range in cold weather but with a Plus that shouldn't be too big an issue.

Thank you! I appreciate that someone is excited for me!

You'll love it! I got mine in December and LOVE it!

You'll love not buying gas, especially in the cold. Gas here is $4.19 in places. I had a rental for a week (yeah sucked to repair a new Leaf) and the 1/3 tank fill-up was $20 (~120 miles). I can put 200 miles on my Leaf for $14.

Preheat your car before you leave - it heats much faster then doing so after you get rolling. I don't scrimp on the heat to save electricity since I can charge any night and I'm willing to pay a little for comfort. In Maine you'll need that more than CT. :D

Enjoy!!!

BillAinCT said:
Preheat your car before you leave - it heats much faster then doing so after you get rolling. I don't scrimp on the heat to save electricity since I can charge any night and I'm willing to pay a little for comfort. In Maine you'll need that more than CT. :D

Enjoy!!!

Thanks, Bill. How do you preheat the car? Also, if the windows are frosty, will preheating clean them off?

I understand the car does not have a remote start (please correct me if I am wrong). Does that mean I have to go old school and go outside to start the car on frosty mornings?

BillAinCT said:
Thanks, Bill. How do you preheat the car? Also, if the windows are frosty, will preheating clean them off?

I understand the car does not have a remote start (please correct me if I am wrong). Does that mean I have to go old school and go outside to start the car on frosty mornings?

Use the Nissan Connect app. All functions are initially free including setting up timed heat (turn it on at a set time) or just turn it on now. I do the latter 10 minutes before I leave. Heat tuns off after 15 IIRC. Some functions are paid after some time (the free ones that become paid are probably only for the original purchaser).

You can use it to check charge and to start a charge if you plug in and have a timed charge set but want to override it. Unfortunately you cannot stop a charge with the app.

If you fast charge and are not near the car it's nice to check with the app to see if it's where you want to charge to so you can head back for the car, I would expect Fast Charger apps also show this. I know the EVgo app does.

See the bottom of https://www.nissanusa.com/connect.html for app links.

LHN said:
How do you preheat the car? Also, if the windows are frosty, will preheating clean them off?

There are a couple ways to preheat, and never step outside into the cold. As mentioned before, use the app to start those functions just before leaving. For my regular daily preheat, I set the timers that are built into the car's electronics to preheat and to time the charging cycle. If I misjudge the departure schedule, use the app as a backup. For my own leaf, it's plugged into L2 charging at home so that's a plus for maximizing range in the cold.

And yep, it's very effective a clearing the glass, and preheating other comfort stuff like the heated seats & steering wheel.

rogersleaf said:
There are a couple ways to preheat, and never step outside into the cold. As mentioned before, use the app to start those functions just before leaving. For my regular daily preheat, I set the timers that are built into the car's electronics to preheat and to time the charging cycle. If I misjudge the departure schedule, use the app as a backup. For my own leaf, it's plugged into L2 charging at home so that's a plus for maximizing range in the cold.

And yep, it's very effective a clearing the glass, and preheating other comfort stuff like the heated seats & steering wheel.

This is great info, thank you. When I test drove a Leaf at the dealer, he made a big deal about telling me it didn't have a remote start, which was disappointing news. But it seems like the Leaf does have a remote start--I realize it's not really a start, but the reason I start my car now is to preheat it! So it sounds like I will have the same functionality as I have now, which is great.

When you start the preheat, do the headlights come on? I ask because when I leave work at 8 pm and it's dark, I like coming out to a car with the lights on. It makes me feel safer.

Thanks!

It’s been awhile since configuring the app, but recall some additional separate controls over lights. Some of those functions are an extra cost subscription service so might want to check directly with Nissan.

So my new (to me) 2019 Leaf SL Plus arrived 4 hours ago and I AM IN LOVE!! It has 6300 miles and looks and feels brand new. I test drove an SV at the dealer and to me, this is so much nicer. I love the leather seats and the all around look. I am happy as a clam! I may even give up my reservation for the ID.4 but we'll see. I have a feeling that is not going to show up anytime soon, but now I can be patient and enjoy my Leaf!

And, here's a laugh...

When I went to register my car this morning, the clerk was busy filling out all the paperwork for the title, registration, etc. She says, "How many cylinders does it have? They usually have 4." I replied, "It doesn't have any cylinders. It's an electric car. It also doesn't have any sparkplugs or oil." She just nodded. :D

Back