Emailing Nissan questions and feedback

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeekEV

I got a call from Nissan today to see if I had any questions. I indicated I had a small laundry list (but that I also LOVED the car) and asked if there was an email address I could send my list to. They said to send it to [email protected] (yes, nissan-usa.com, despite the website being nissanusa.com). I thought I'd share that info with everyone in case you haven't seen that address before. Here's the mail I sent, if your curious what issues I've reported.
Hello Nissan,

Today I was called by one of your reps to see if I had any questions on my new LEAF. I did have one question I would really like an answer to. While she wasn't able to find the answer now, she promised to follow up on it. But I also have a small list of other questions, suggestions and issues that I wanted to send along. She gave me this email address to send them to. I do want to say that, overall, I absolutely love the LEAF - it's a great car. Kudos!

So, here's the $64,000 question that I really want solved:

• Every time I start the car, I am presented with the following legal terms related to CARWINGS and forced to press OK. I feel that since CARWINGS only works if I put in my username/pin, I've already given consent. I shouldn't have to be pestered with this every time. PLEASE let me turn it off, it's very annoying.
    Your vehicle wirelessly transmits recorded vehicle data to Nissan per subscription agreement for various purposes, including CARWINGS services, product evaluation, research and development. By touching OK, you consent to the transmission and use of your vehicle data. See Owner's Manual or Nissan website for terms and details.

The following is a list of other related questions and observations you may want to consider addressing (in order of most important on top):

• The rear seat head rests are the same as the front seats. These are way too big and block a significant portion of visibility out the rear window, so I removed them (which isn't safe when I have passengers). Please offer smaller headrests for the back. Take a look at the ones the Toyota Prius uses for an excellent example of low-profile rear seat head rests.
  • This may be an issue with iOS, but when using my iPhone in the LEAF, the Bluetooth audio streaming takes priority every time the Bluetooth connects. If I plug in to the USB port or AUX jack before the Bluetooth is connected, I lose my audio because the phone switched to Bluetooth out, but the radio doesn't. Additionally, if I cycle through the sources, the phone switched to Bluetooth as I pass through the Bluetooth source on the radio, but does not return when I switch to USB or AUX. I would like to either: a) have Bluetooth audio streaming take effect only when the stereo is set to Bluetooth, or b) have an option to disable Bluetooth audio streaming support for each connected device.
  • When used with an iPod, the USB port locks out control of the iPod itself. This isn't bad on a classic iPod, but on an iPod touch, iPhone or iPad it means we can't use the USB port for other apps, such as Pandora, or use alternative music controls such as FlickTunes. I understand that not locking out controls may reduce functionality, so please implement an option (as some headunits do) that allows me to choose whether I want to lock out iPod controls or not.
  • The main screen starts up to the audio screen by default (for me anyway), but I would like to set my own default screen such as the CARWINGS Energy Usage screen (my favorite).
  • If I set my headlights to Auto, and turn on the fog lights, I get a beep and a warning to "turn off lights" when I power off the car. I'd like the fog lights to be under control of the auto settings as well, but that warning is annoying, so I've turned them off.
  • This may also be an issue with iOS, but if I start playing a Genius Mix from the iPod app on my iPhone, then plug in to the USB port, only the currently playing song shows in the list of upcoming songs. I could live with that, but the currently playing track info does not update when the iPhone starts the next song.
  • The car stereo seems "thin" and "weak" overall. An upgraded sound system would be much appreciated.
  • I had a weird situation once where the main display said "turn on climate control for -x miles", but the climate control was already on. Turning it off changed the display to "turn off climate control for x miles". After powering off the car and turning it back on everything was fine.

I have a several observations about the iPhone app as well:

• The app should either disable background support, or detect when the session is expired and auto-log back in when resuming from the background (like it does at startup). It's very annoying when the session expires, so I've taken to force quitting the app every time I'm done with it to ensure that it logs me back in every time I use it.
  • If you continue to support backgrounding, the option to "refresh at startup" should also trigger a refresh when resuming from the background.
  • Logging in, issuing commands to the car and requesting updates takes a long time (the text says up to 5 minutes). It would be so much better if it were more real-time.
  • When I wake up in the morning, I often update to check my charge status, it indicates the vehicle is fully charged (the charge bars are all lit, the charge indicator is off, and the battery icon is solid instead of blinking). But, sometimes, it continues to display the "estimated time to charge" as being what it was last time I checked, instead of 0hr 0min.

Thank you for your consideration of these issues!

I have to agree with GeekEV. That obnoxious prompt is the single most annoying thing about the car. This is the email I just sent to [email protected]:

The following prompt appears on the navigation display every time I start the car:

Your vehicle wirelessly transmits recorded vehicle data to Nissan...
Touch ok to accept

How do I disable that prompt? I've pressed okay every single time. Not to mention that I've obviously already entered my CarWings account data which is a pretty clear indication I understand that my Leaf will be exchanging data with Nissan.

If I can't disable this obnoxious prompt and you refuse to provide a software update that makes it possible to disable it (perhaps after the first or second time it is displayed) I will be forced to complain loudly to the public and will make a nuisance of myself to the dealership from which I purchased the car.

While I'm glad you agree with me, I can't help but wonder if threatening to raise a stink is the best approach...

krader said:
I have to agree with GeekEV. That obnoxious prompt is the single most annoying thing about the car. This is the email I just sent to [email protected]:

The following prompt appears on the navigation display every time I start the car:

Your vehicle wirelessly transmits recorded vehicle data to Nissan...
Touch ok to accept

How do I disable that prompt? I've pressed okay every single time. Not to mention that I've obviously already entered my CarWings account data which is a pretty clear indication I understand that my Leaf will be exchanging data with Nissan.

If I can't disable this obnoxious prompt and you refuse to provide a software update that makes it possible to disable it (perhaps after the first or second time it is displayed) I will be forced to complain loudly to the public and will make a nuisance of myself to the dealership from which I purchased the car.
We talk to high up in Nissan Corp long ago. Trisha to me they have to ask every time. She said what if you sold the car and someone got hurt? I told her that is normal when you buy used. You will get no where getting it turned off other then some after market mod to fix that.

I took delivery on my Leaf two days ago, and my first question to the dealer as he was taking me through the features was "Is that screen going to come on every time?". I can't remember his answer, but obviously it does, and like the other posters here, I find it the single most annoying thing about the car and desperately want to disable it.

Has anyone figured out how to do this?

My solution is to ignore it. As far as CARWINGS is concerned, I have traveled zero miles since I got the car, and I intend to keep it that way. Why should I volunteer to give Nissan information about where I am going or how fast? Especially since they are going to start charging me in a few years for the "privilege" of doing so.

That doesn't stop me from using the other features of that screen. All of the control buttons on the left and right side of the screen still work and still activate the screen menus and functions. Personally, I usually just hit the "Zero Emission" button on the lower right, then the "Energy Info" button on the Zero Emission menu, because that's what I want to see over there.

It also doesn't affect how the timers work, nor does it change when or how you you are notified of charging events. It also doesn't interfere with the Owner's Portal interface to the car, so you can still determine charging status, turn on climate controls or set climate timers.

What it does do is lock you out of those CARWINGS competitions, so you won't always feel inferior to the Japanese drivers. Oh, and any other CARWINGS-specific features.

Ray

Ray,

I like what you've done :)

I don't mind sharing my data with Nissan to help them refine thier product, but will have a huge problem with having to agree to it every time I drive my car. It's not much of a stand, but I'm going to make it - <BOLDLY> I will not allow carwings sharing until Nissan changes that screen!

<sheepishly> Does anyone want to join me?

garygid said:
If this is your biggest problem, you have not tried to charge to 90% yet.

I can charge to 90% or 100% no problem - you may have set a charge schedule to only go to 80%. I do 80% 6 days a week and do a weekly 100% but if I need 100% I just hit to override button on the dash. Works fine.

My commute will be 65 miles most of the time. I can't see myself charging to 90%. And the nag screen isn't my biggest problem because I don't have a car yet :roll:

I too would like to make that confirmation go away semi-permanently, but I doubt that's going to happen. It seems like many (most?) navigation systems make you dismiss a legal disclaimer before operating the unit. It would seem legal concerns outweigh concerns about customer satisfaction. Though, that said, it's interesting that we don't have such a warning concerning the nav system and get this Carwings confirmation instead.

Also I would say that getting rid of that perpetual confirmation isn't my top request, given my list: 1) more range, 2) faster on-board charger, 3) better audio system, 4) better heating (climate package), 5) lumbar support, 6) more adjustable headrests, 7) all windows up/down w/one touch, 8) display song/track duration, 9) automatically display distance travelled since last full charge.

kuyper said:
garygid said:

I can charge to 90% or 100% no problem - you may have set a charge schedule to only go to 80%. I do 80% 6 days a week and do a weekly 100% but if I need 100% I just hit to override button on the dash. Works fine.
I think what garygid is saying is that he wants to be able to set a timer for 90% rather than 80%. I'm sure he can charge to 100% just fine too.

Christopher said:
I too would like to make that confirmation go away semi-permanently, but I doubt that's going to happen. It seems like many (most?) navigation systems make you dismiss a legal disclaimer before operating the unit. It would seem legal concerns outweigh concerns about customer satisfaction. Though, that said, it's interesting that we don't have such a warning concerning the nav system and get this Carwings confirmation instead.

Also I would say that getting rid of that perpetual confirmation isn't my top request, given my list: 1) more range, 2) faster on-board charger, 3) better audio system, 4) better heating (climate package), 5) lumbar support, 6) more adjustable headrests, 7) all windows up/down w/one touch, 8) display song/track duration, 9) automatically display distance travelled since last full charge.

kuyper said:
garygid said:

I think what garygid is saying is that he wants to be able to set a timer for 90% rather than 80%. I'm sure he can charge to 100% just fine too.
+1
Although I find the Navigation screen acceptance in my Altima and the Carwings acceptance in the Leaf annoying, the items you have listed are much higher up my priority list of things that need to be changed / fixed. I'd also like a charging timer option for 90% charging. But it may be that Nissan just didn't see much battery life improvement of doing 90% charging vs 100% charging. Separate topics on battery life and MNLers plots of current draw seem to indicate that most of the charging up to 80% is steady current. Whether you charge to 90% or 100% the charging may be up in the more tedious varying current / cell balancing charging, and may have about the same detrimental impact on battery life.

Finally got my Leaf last night after 1.5 years on the list. Turns out that paying $100 to EV to get a house visit was an incredibly stupid move.

I really don't like my car being a network appliance on Nissan (or Carwings) network. It is a car. I bought it. I want to drive where I want without reporting to mommy. The only reason for the "disable" is the the default behavior is to overcollect.

I can understand that they have to ask for permission every time in case of a change in ownership. However, if I want to deny permission permanently, there is no risk to them of never asking again. The sharing will be off, and you don't need permission to not share from the new owner. Just give me a setting to decline info sharing.

I am pissed that many of the features that were pitched in the selling process are tethered to their collecting my driving data. I will not accept the CARWINGS terms, so I can't turn on my charger from my iphone? That makes no sense.

I get that some people don't mind, and I respect their opinion, but I do mind. I feel strongly that where and when I drive is my business, not Nissan's.

harrier said:
I can understand that they have to ask for permission every time in case of a change in ownership. However, if I want to deny permission permanently, there is no risk to them of never asking again. The sharing will be off, and you don't need permission to not share from the new owner. Just give me a setting to decline info sharing.

I am pissed that many of the features that were pitched in the selling process are tethered to their collecting my driving data. I will not accept the CARWINGS terms, so I can't turn on my charger from my iphone? That makes no sense.
Just accept CARWINGS terms, then ignore the question each time you start the car. You don't have to answer yes or no. They won't get any info about where you are driving that way. I just ignore the question and bring up the energy screen (which I wish could come on by deafult). Not that much hassle.

harrier said:
... I am pissed that many of the features that were pitched in the selling process are tethered to their collecting my driving data. I will not accept the CARWINGS terms, so I can't turn on my charger from my iphone? ...
I don't believe that's true. I'm pretty sure you can answer no to the data collection, and still use the owner's portal to start charging.

Welcome to the horribly broken U.S. Tort System where you can sue anyone for anything, and often win! And where no one takes responsibility for their own actions. BMW, for example, only uses a nag screen on their nav systems in the U.S. for this reason. Code it for the U.K. as I did on mine and it goes away.

Christopher said:
I too would like to make that confirmation go away semi-permanently, but I doubt that's going to happen. It seems like many (most?) navigation systems make you dismiss a legal disclaimer before operating the unit. It would seem legal concerns outweigh concerns about customer satisfaction.

davewill said:
harrier said:
... I am pissed that many of the features that were pitched in the selling process are tethered to their collecting my driving data. I will not accept the CARWINGS terms, so I can't turn on my charger from my iphone? ...
I don't believe that's true. I'm pretty sure you can answer no to the data collection, and still use the owner's portal to start charging.
Stoaty has it right. You have to accept the CARWINGS terms to be able to control charging or climate remotely, but you don't have to turn on data collection in the car. I never have.

Ray

Back