"Electric vehicles only" and the Prius

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
asimba2 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
we complaining that there are too many cars with plugs??

maybe we should be complaining there is not enough of say "something" else?

Someone keeps putting words in my mouth, but I don't have time to sit around and argue online. No where in this thread will you read me saying that plug-ins should not be allowed to charge. My point was, the legal terminology used to describe an electric vehicle seems, in my opinion, to not include cars like the Prius plug in. The more electric miles, the better.

confusion may not be a good thing but it definitely appears to be a common thing.

no where in ANY thread on this forum will you see me saying that any car should not plug in. and I mean any kind of plug in vehicle.

But you will see hundreds of comments from me stating the need for more PLUGS....

guess not all statements are as obvious as they seem

“When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.”

Wife I saw this over the weekend...a Volt with custom graphics reading "electric" on one side of the bumper and "no exhaust pipe" with an arrow pointing down on the passenger side rear bumper. Hmm....no tailpipe huh?
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Sorry for the lousy photo.

2k1Toaster said:
kubel said:
asimba2 said:
Again, it says "may include a nonelectrical source of power designed to charge batteries." That's how a Volt works, but not a Prius.

If the PIP does not qualify for this reason, the Volt doesn't qualify either, since it can, under certain circumstances, use the ICE to help power the front wheels directly. At that point, the Volt is merely a more electrically dominant version of the Prius. ;)

No that means that the Prius ALWAYS qualifies where the Volt does not.

The Prius never drives the wheels directly with the engine. I don't know where asimba2 is getting that from. The volt does clutch in the engine at higher speeds (which is advantageous is some regards). The Prius has no clutch, no way to change gears, it is a static planetary gearset.

Technical_5.gif

Notice how the outer ring gear driven by MG2 is the only source powering the wheels. The best the engine can do is spin the planetary carriers and use MG1 in the inner circle to generate power to be spent by MG2 going forwards and backwards.

So the Prius is an electric vehicle with a gasoline engine that powers it. Even the non plug in versions.
Ah, no, not quite.

Anyone who has driven a Prius knows that the engine speed can vary independent of the speed of the car. That's why the Prius transmission is called an eCVT or electrically controlled continuously variable transmission. It effectively changes gears....

The Prius and Volt have similar although not identical planetary gear transmissions. The Prius has no clutch so the engine is, as you say, ALWAYS connected to the wheels via the planetary gears. The planetary gears are all mechanically connected at different fixed ratios to each other and to the drive axles that move the front wheels. That clutch in the Volt allows the engine to be disconnected from the planetary gears. Neither the Prius or the Volt would go anywhere if the gas engine were running by itself without an electric motor active.

There are three gears in a planetary arrangement. The engine is attached to one. The wheels are attached to another. One of the two electric motors is attached to the third. By default, the gear connected to the running engine would spin and the gear with the motor would spin freely leaving the gear attached to the wheels going nowhere. This is similar to the planetary gear in a conventional differential of a car stuck on the side of a road -- the engine is spinning one gear, another gear is connected to a wheel that is stuck in some mud and the third gear is connected to the other wheel that is hanging free and not contacting the road and is therefore doing all of the spinning.

The Prius engine spins the gear it is attached to and generates electricity with its smaller generator motor attached to a second gear which causes that motor to resist spinning and that forces some of the mechanical power to spin the gear attached to the wheels. Some of the power being generated by the motor is used by the big motor to help spin the gear attached to the wheels.

In other words, the engine spins the Prius planetary carriers, MG1 attached to the Sun gear generates electricity, some mechanical force also spins the ring gear and power from MG1 is used to spin MG2 which is attached to the ring gear along with the wheels.

So, the Prius normally has both electrical and mechanical power flowing to the wheels. In the Prius, when the engine is actively running there is always a mechanical flow of power to the wheels unless the brakes prevent the wheels (and therefore the ring gear) from spinning.

The Prius can continuously vary the load or effective gearing on the gas engine by varying how much electricity is generated by MG1 and therefore how much power flows electrically from MG1 to MG2 versus how much flows mechanically from the planetary carriers to the ring. These effective combined variable ratios keep the gas engine operating at its most efficient rpm and torque while most of the power flows efficiently through the mechanical path and avoids the conversion from mechanical to electrical back to mechanical. This is what makes the Prius highly efficient. The electrical flow of power from MG1 to MG2 effectively bypasses the mechanical path that would have otherwise gone through the fixed gearing ratios so varying the electrical flow varies the overall effective gearing on the engine.

The Volt transmission operates similarly to a Prius transmission at a conceptual level but there are differences in the way the engine and motors are arranged and hooked up to the planetary gears. Unlike the Prius, the Volt can unclutch the engine and the smaller generator motor from the planetary gears and operate entirely as a series mode hybrid while stopped or all the way up to high vehicle speeds.

When clutched to a planetary gear, the main motor on the Volt's second planetary gear actively resists spinning using electricity generated by the smaller generator motor attached to the engine and this forces the mechanical power to spin the third gear which is attached to the wheels.

Neither the Prius or Volt connects the gas engine "directly" to the wheels. In both cars the engine is connected to a planetary gear member and drives the car through an indirect mechanical path that is modulated by the spinning or resistance of the other two planetary gears members.

JeffN said:
Ah, no, not quite.

Yes quite. Even in your "explanation" you say it yourself.

I have 2 Prii and a Lexus RX450h that all work the same. I have torn down the PSD and created my own plugin hardware in part by decoding the car's message system. Believe me, I know the Prius better than most.

The point of the original post was that it was being picky on what the Prius is. If you look at the PSD, you will see (as you noted) that the engine drives the middle gears. MG2 drives the outer ring gear and that is what is coupled to the wheels. The Prius will not move without MG2 spinning. This is why the engine can spin independent of speed.

Aside from the technical debate of what is an EV...

I used to be on the side of being POed that plug-in hybrid like the Volt would be allowed to steal public charging space from legit pure EV drivers. But then I saw a statistic that showed that overall, Volt drivers were driving more electric miles that LEAF drivers and I realized that maybe the Volt it wasn't that bad after all. But I seriously doubt that the PiP with its ridiculously short electric range will be able to claim the same high rate of EV miles as the Volt. Around here (SF Bay area) the PiP seem popular only because its eligible for the green stickers to drive alone in the HOV late. I must have missed something but I believed that the green sticker eligibility required a minimum amount pure electric range which made the early Volts not eligible. I'm not able to find what made the PiP compliant that the early Volt could not achieve.

Edit: typos.

ericsf said:

I used to be on the side of being POed that plug-in hybrid like the Volt would be allowed to steal public charging space from legit pure EV drivers. But then I saw a statistic that showed that overall, Volt drivers were driving more electric miles that LEAF drivers and I realized that maybe the Volt it wasn't that bad after all. But I seriously doubt that the PiP with its ridiculously short electric range will be able to claim the same high rate of EV miles as the Volt. Around here (SF Bay area) the PiP seem popular only because its eligible for the green stickers to drive alone in the HOV late. I must have missed something but I believed that the green sticker eligibility required a minimum amount pure electric range which made the early Volts not eligible. I'm not able to find what made the PiP compliant that the early Volt could not achieve.

Edit: typos.

The Volt did not achieve the status because it was too dirty when in CS mode and therefore did not qualify for eAT-PZEV status required for the green stickers. They then added a secondary air injection pump which enabled it to qualify but as far as I know this is a special "CA-Only" model, not even just CARB states. But maybe that will change...

2k1Toaster said:
JeffN said:
Ah, no, not quite.

Yes quite. Even in your "explanation" you say it yourself....

If you look at the PSD, you will see (as you noted) that the engine drives the middle gears. MG2 drives the outer ring gear and that is what is coupled to the wheels.
But everything is mechanically interconnected so the gas engine is also physically coupled to the wheels. When the gas engine is running on a Prius under typical conditions most of the power coming out of the gas engine is following a mechanical path to the wheels through the interconnected planetary gears. The electrical path from MG1 to MG2 normally carries less than half of the power coming out of the gas engine.

You seemed to imply earlier that the Prius operated entirely in series mode where all of the power from the gas engine was used by MG1 to generate electricity which was then used by MG2 to drive the wheels via the ring gear whereas you said the Volt was using the gas engine to mechanically drive the wheels. In the present generation Prius, MG1 is capable of generating a maximum of 42 kW (56 HP) but the gas engine can put out up to 73 kW (98 HP) so it's self-evident that some power from the engine flows mechanically through the gears to the wheels. The total combined power of a 3rd gen Prius is 100 kW (134 HP).

ericsf said:

I used to be on the side of being POed that plug-in hybrid like the Volt would be allowed to steal public charging space from legit pure EV drivers. But then I saw a statistic that showed that overall, Volt drivers were driving more electric miles that LEAF drivers...

that is ONLY true for "monitored" miles. nearly half of the LEAF drivers choose to not share their info and also at one time, Volts outnumbered LEAFs by a wide margin. That is no longer true either. LEAFs are about to pass Volt drivers in EV miles and that is only counting roughly 57% of the drivers out there

Back