Electric Cars: Are They Kidding?!?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
commercial production in 5 to 10 years from 1967

I've learned a long time ago to pay little attention to these types of predictions. We will be lucky if we have meaningful production and acceptance 5 to 10 years from now.

Metalman said:
commercial production in 5 to 10 years from 1967

I've learned a long time ago to pay little attention to these types of predictions. We will be lucky if we have meaningful production and acceptance 5 to 10 years from now.

Well....my 2011 Leaf is "meaningfully produced" and "acceptable" as far as I'm concerned. :roll:

I love where they compared the performance of the electric corvaire to its gasoline version. They said 0-60 in 16 seconds. Seriously? I guess I didn't realize cars were so slow back in the 1960's.

Yeah - I also never take those predictions of production seriously. I can't even count the number of times I've read about a product that will be on the market in 2 to 5 years, and never heard about it again. According to George W. Bush we were all going to be driving hydrogen cars by this time.

While these don't go back that far, they do show how acceleration was back in the mid 70s.
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/mpg/fetrends/2012/420s12001a.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/csaba-csere-minicars-i-dont-see-no-stinking-minicars-column" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Darn you, Phil. ;)

I spent too much time going through that issue of Popular Mechanics, but since I'm retired, no great loss. Been awhile since I cooked hot dogs on the exhaust manifold. (following article)

Game changing batteries and the production EV have been right around the corner for a hundred years. Thankfully the time has come were we can buy one instead of just reading about how promising the technology is.

Nice article though. It seems like it could have been written just a few years ago if it weren't for the dated examples and pictures of test cars.

Well....my 2011 Leaf is "meaningfully produced" and "acceptable" as far as I'm concerned.

As is mine, but when you compare mine and yours and the few others on the road to the millions of gas cars they sell every year they are quite meaningless.

I used to say that if it appeared in Popular Science, it meant you would never see one in real life. About the only time I was wrong was when they ran an article about a "cellular telephone system". Though I haven't seen a depiction of hexagonal-shaped coverage areas in decades.

As for the fuel cells, the article said that hydrogen fuel cells were pretty much impractical, certainly with that design where you carried the oxygen around, too.

The test mule in the article is actually the Electrovair II; the first one they built was in 1963. I met the Engineer who worked on the original. I drove Corvairs until 2009. Days before we picked up the Prius, Nissan came to town with a Blue LEAF and a white converted Versa they were giving test rides in. We wisely chose to get the Prius, and watched carefully for the appearance of the LEAF. Reserved one the next April, and you all know the rest of the story.

Back