Disabling the "accept" carwings screen at startup?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DarkStar said:
Googler said:
Will opting out of Carwings disable the prompt when you boot the car?
Nope, the next time you turn it back on it will ask again.
Define "opt out". I suspect DarkStar was thinking of hitting the "Decline" button. Googler, were you thinking of something more along the lines of never accepting the Carwings agreement on the Owner's Portal in the first place?

Ray

Just lock the doors and leave the car running, no need to push ok next time. The other option is to do a protest to Nissan where no one sends data to Carwings pressuring Nissan to get rid of the OK button.

EVDRIVER said:
Just lock the doors and leave the car running, no need to push ok next time. The other option is to do a protest to Nissan where no one sends data to Carwings pressuring Nissan to get rid of the OK button.
I wish we could muster enough participation to do this.
They really need to fix it.

Perhaps if enough people express concern to Nissan. I would sign a blanket waiver for any driver in my car.

I got a survey call from CS yesterday - one of the feedback rants was around Carwings. She said that she had been told that legislation was going to be passed to require all nav systems to have the prompts. Hogwash...and I gave up trying to note that the nag was around Carwings send data which I had already accepted they do in at least 15 other places....

planet4ever said:
Define "opt out". I suspect DarkStar was thinking of hitting the "Decline" button. Googler, were you thinking of something more along the lines of never accepting the Carwings agreement on the Owner's Portal in the first place?

Yes, I was wondering what happens if you never signed up for Carwinglets in the first place. It's possible that the prompt is there for navigation even if you don't agree to use carwings. Lots of cars are like that (though I have a 2009 car that gives full functionality at any speed).

EVDRIVER said:
Perhaps if enough people express concern to Nissan. I would sign a blanket waiver for any driver in my car.
A waiver from the first owner is unlikely to be enough. The car could be resold, and that owner could potentially sue Nissan.

Distracted driving is an increasing problem in our society, and I expect that this will become law in the future (in the USA).

Yes, it's been proven that the screen will pop up even if you haven't signed up, or even declined the carwings service on the website.

The screen has nothing to do with driver distraction. It is there to tell you that the car will share your driving information with Nissan.

Seems like a more useful screen for Nissan might be "Will you be sending us your car payment this month?". You only have to agree to that one once, when you buy the car. Why can't Carwings work the same way?

Don't know if it is just me or what, but I wanted to let people know that I have hit the "Decline" button twice on Carwings startup, about 6 weeks apart. Both times the car not only doesn't send data for that instance, but it also stops sending data all together in the future.

The only way I was able to restart the flow of data is to "mess around" with the menus and turn the choices off and back on again for sharing data. They were set correctly, but I had to toggle them to get data to flow again. And I'm not really sure which one did the trick, since I jacked with quite a few choices on the menu.

The car does buffer data, though, and it will fill in the missing gaps once data starts to flow again....Interesting....

Randy

I figured out this morning a big problem with the accept screen.
It takes to long to come up,
I get in, start car, put on seat belt and then still have to wait for the logo screen to complete. If you could push the accept right away it would be more convenient

I ignore the screen and just press the "Zero Emission" button (bottom right) and I get taken to the right screen. After that I never get asked about carwings again. I have to check whether it works with other buttons.

Based on what I've learned about "Carwings" so far from posters on this forum, it's about worthless? If I ever get my car, I'm going to find a way to disconnect it and avoid all these silly malfunctions/incorrect/inaccurate messages. :roll:

We need some ingineer-fu on the center console.. what embedded processor does it use, who wrote the software for it, where are the executables stored, what instruction format, and how to we punch out the Agree prompt altogether.

GroundLoop said:
We need some ingineer-fu on the center console.. what embedded processor does it use, who wrote the software for it, where are the executables stored, what instruction format, and how to we punch out the Agree prompt altogether.
I think the most interesting question is "Where are the executables stored?" and then "Can they be modified (patched)?"

Guys, let me just say: It's going to be very difficult and incredibly time consumptive to reverse-engineer the head unit's firmware. I would never even consider such a thing!

That being said, I think it's possible to come up with a small bit of external hardware that will remove the accept button requirement. All you really have to do is emulate the touch event, and I suspect that would be relatively easy.

I've got a long list of enhancements and mods I want to create for the LEAF, all definitely add this to that list. Not sure when I'll be able to get to it, so please don't ask!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Guys, let me just say: It's going to be very difficult and incredibly time consumptive to reverse-engineer the head unit's firmware. I would never even consider such a thing!
Difficult and time-consuming, yes, but these things are getting more generic and reprogrammable every year.

We're not talking about the vital ECU here.. just the info/entertainment console.

If Nissan/Clarion farmed out the software, it may be built from third-party (microsoft?) software blocks and recognizable platforms. Look at what some have done with the Blink software already, for example.

Really, the hardest thing is getting it out to a work bench, since a spare is so expensive. :)

GroundLoop said:
Look at what some have done with the Blink software already, for example.
Thanks for mentioning that! I had no idea.
For others wondering, the fascinating Blink Mods thread is here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3279

Back