Did new firmware change low battery warning?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeekEV

I had the new firmware installed on my LEAF Monday while it was being looked at for iPod issues. Today I noticed I got down to 1 bar of battery and only 8 miles remaining before I got the low battery warning. I usually don't get down that low, but last time I did (the car was still new) I got the low warning at 17 miles, and the very low warning at 11. Did the new firmware change the warning thresholds? Or is it just the battery breaking in and calibrating itself?

Ack! I would hope that anytime a firmware update is applied you would be given a printed list of all of the issues it addresses. It's pretty SOP in the software business to let customers know what the new software changes so they know what to worry about and what not to.

garygid said:
Is the battery pack able to "balance" the cells?

The designers left a large untouched reserve in SOC, its unlikely that the cells would get out of balance far enough to affect range.. I think it is just another symptom of the remaining range calculation acting goofy again. The Leaf should have 3 displays to predict range, Ideal, Long Term Average (last 2 weeks of history) and Short Term Average (last couple of minutes).
Having 3 displays would make people think about what it means.. Your Range Will Vary

garygid said:
What method(s) do you use for charging?

Normally I only get down to maybe 50% and top up to 100% every night with my L2 home unit. Today I ran a few more side trips than usual and precooled the car. My wife and I decided to go out to dinner acrosis town but our range was a little lower than I would have expected. So afterwards we stopped off at a relative's and put about and hour on with my 240v modded EVSE. Maybe the extra top off did something, maybe my unusual usage today had something to with it. Who knows... So I'm guessing nobody else has noticed anything different?

As for the cell balancing, how would I know?

garygid said:
Of course not. That would disrupt the weight distribution and that would disrupt both traction control and ABS braking.

GeekEV"Today I noticed I got down to 1 bar of battery and only 8 miles remaining before I got the low battery warning. [/quote said:
this is close. i usually get the 2nd warning at 6-7 miles

I usually don't get down that low

i have been there many times and mostly because i feel it necessary to learn the car

but last time I did (the car was still new) I got the low warning at 17 miles, and the very low warning at 11
that would be a bit different. my first warning comes around 16-17, but 2nd was never more than 7-8 that i can remember.

planet4ever said:
AndyH said:
garygid said:
Of course not. That would disrupt the weight distribution and that would disrupt both traction control and ABS braking. Edit: :lol: :lol:
Fixed that for you (but I'm still chuckling.)

Ray
You obviously don’t understand cell balancing. You don’t have to redistribute the load, you just move the fulcrum.

A properly designed pack has no issues with balancing.. as the lithium ions move from the cathode to the anode the weight balance shifts, but you can alternate the orientation of cells in such a way that the shift will cancel out.

Herm said:
..but you can alternate the orientation of cells in such a way that the shift will cancel out.
Thank goodness for that, or we'd have severe gyroscopic effects from electron spin.

Herm said:
A properly designed pack has no issues with balancing.. as the lithium ions move from the cathode to the anode the weight balance shifts, but you can alternate the orientation of cells in such a way that the shift will cancel out.

Uh....right on! :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

DeaneG said:
Herm said:
..but you can alternate the orientation of cells in such a way that the shift will cancel out.
Thank goodness for that, or we'd have severe gyroscopic effects from electron spin.
Hmmm...does that mean we don't need an opposite pack for Australia?

Anyone know if the service manual has tuning info for the traction control system to adjust for spin and road crown?

(You guys are great! :geek: :lol: )

Does "equalizing" periods always follow 100% charging, or only occasionally, as needed?

Do they also follow 80% charges?

How does the Start and End timers affect getting a "complete" charge, and equalization periods, if the time interval is too short?

I hope you're not asking me, I have no clue... Oh, while I did say I topped off on the road, I didn't mean to 100%, I realize now that topped off has certain implications, I just added a few more miles.

I had the new firmware uploaded and not only does the SOC seem better but the steering is stiffer, the stereo system sounds much better and the regen is now selectable on the NAV screen for higher regen on the "D" mode. You can also watch movies from the ipod on the NAV screen! Nice job Nissan!

Back