Delivery date : Saturday december 11th

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a phone call from the Nissan team which manages the home charger installations ... they're not happy about their first delivery not having an L2 charger installed prior to delivery with all the press involved... we'll see where that goes ... he almost said that we really had to resolve that if I wanted to be their first delivery ...

I also tried to call Safeco to get a quote, and other than the already mentioned "so you're leasing it?" (I guess they mis-understood the LEAF with lease), as they didn't have the car in their DB she started asking me questions about the car ... "so, how many cylinders does it have? is it a 6 cylinders? " it was quite odd and funny at the same time to tell her that it was an electric car, and that therefore it had 0 cylinders ;p

I might have to call some different insurance company.

gudy said:
... they're not happy about their first delivery not having an L2 charger installed prior to delivery with all the press involved... we'll see where that goes ... he almost said that we really had to resolve that if I wanted to be their first delivery ...

I'd think that the good folks at Nissan would like to kick in for 50% of the cost of the EVSE install, and let Uncle Obama kick in for the rest.

"Well, the quote I have from AV is for $3200 - $3200!!!!!. Now - if you would like to send me a check for 1/2 of that I'd be happy to invite AV over to do the install right away. Not sure you want me to do it myself for $59.75 + a non-AV EVSE. What do you think? Want to help out so the whole press thing goes as planned?"

gudy said:
Got a phone call from the Nissan team which manages the home charger installations ... they're not happy about their first delivery not having an L2 charger installed prior to delivery with all the press involved... we'll see where that goes ... he almost said that we really had to resolve that if I wanted to be their first delivery ...

I also tried to call Safeco to get a quote, and other than the already mentioned "so you're leasing it?" (I guess they mis-understood the LEAF with lease), as they didn't have the car in their DB she started asking me questions about the car ... "so, how many cylinders does it have? is it a 6 cylinders? " it was quite odd and funny at the same time to tell her that it was an electric car, and that therefore it had 0 cylinders ;p

I was wondering how long that would take. This is not what they want to promote as they want to feature an optimal candidate with L2, etc. I'm surprised this was not checked out prior to your call but now that's happened:)

LakeLeaf said:
It will be quite interesting to see what is actually delivered to Gudy.
Will it really be a "production car" or will it be another custom built car? Perhaps we will be able to tell from the VIN - but Nissan is smart enough to probably put a production VIN number on the car regardless of how it actually is assembled.
Lakeleaf, this is not the world we live in. In the world we live in there are shark like people called lawyers. Imagine what would happen if (forbid) Gudy got in an accident and the car failed in some random way (he's hurt, probably hit by a hummer) and then his lawyer finds out it's a one-off car and didn't go through the bla bla bla goverement bla bla bla. It would be like blood in the water. Soon it would be Gudy's Cars and Trucks and we'd also be bugging him from WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO GET ME MY STINKIN CAR! (Just kidding, I'm happy Gudy and you guys are going to test from Dec - Feb when I'll get mine (probably). pending pending pending. My the way, my charger has been installed for weeks now.

EVDRIVER" I was wondering how long that would take. This is not what they want to promote as they want to feature an optimal candidate with L2 said:
Wonder how many calls they would need to make to find the "optimal" candidate.

As far as AV installed EVSE's - sounds like it a pretty low percentage of the board that has gone that way.

Optimal would also need to be in certain geographic areas?

Be well educated, or at least well spoken?

Not to short, not too tall (that seat doesn't move up and down much)

Spouse and kids??? - that would make quite a nice story - family car and all.

gudy said:

Um . . . so ... you're telling us "the Nissan team" called? ... and that they "manage() home charger installations" ?? Nissan told ME (multiple times), that AV is their EVSE vendor. But YOU're saying there's a Nissan charger install team?
You're telling us that Nissan only decided to consider looking into whether or not you already have an EVSE (OR NOT) ... only after they've picked you to be first? My EVSE install shows on my dash board. That's NISSAN's dashboard. They would ALREADY know. You're saying Nissan was too stupid to check this out (right on your dashboard) even from the get go? Then ... Nissan was too stupid to even ASK you over the phone? ... back when you say they called you to tell you you're the first customer? I'm not saying any more about that.

Changing the subject abruptly, our AV EVSE had it's anniversary today ... it was installed 4 WEEKS ago. Nissan knew it was installed, the very day it was completed.

hill said:
gudy said:

Um . . . so ... you're telling us "the Nissan team" called? ... and that they "manage() home charger installations" ?? Nissan told ME (multiple times), that AV is their EVSE vendor. But YOU're saying there's a Nissan charger install team?
You're telling us that Nissan only decided to consider looking into whether or not you already have an EVSE (OR NOT) ... only after they've picked you to be first? My EVSE install shows on my dash board. That's NISSAN's dashboard. They would ALREADY know. You're saying Nissan was too stupid to check this out (right on your dashboard) even from the get go? Then ... Nissan was too stupid to even ASK you over the phone? ... back when you say they called you to tell you you're the first customer? I'm not saying any more about that.

Welcome to the big corporation. And the charge team may be the folks that are checking dealers, there were some doing this and touring in a black Leaf in N Cal a while back.

Hill, are you questioning gudy's honesty? I haven't seen any bragging or anything that would lead me to believe he's making up this #1 customer business.

WWBD said:
Hill, are you questioning gudy's honesty? I haven't seen any bragging or anything that would lead me to believe he's making up this #1 customer business.
I trust my wife ... her character ... integrity etc. Still, when she says things that 'sound' inconsistent, I need to reconcile inconsistencies. I'm just sayin' . . . . .
btw ... I believe that Lance Armstrong's black leaf was delivered the first week of October. Is he the first? Or were there others that got early deliveries too.
I'm just sayin' . . . . .

WWBD said:

Sorry - that went right over me - I thought Hill was suggesting mass incompetence at Nissan marketing - not questioning Gudy's integrity. I've got no reason to question Gudy......

I'll duck now before it really starts to fly around around here.

I guess I can understand Nissan wanting an L2 for the press to see but is that not what this delivery dealerships L2 is for... or are they planning to follow Gudy home for the first "plug in"... or is the whole press scene supposed to take place at his home??? What is wrong with unplugging from the dealership and driving off, best wishes, god bless... and BTW the LEAF is SO practical that he did not even need an EVSE to meet his driving habits.

BUT, the press is a funny thing and some will want to be critics and complain about any "news" they can come up with. This is probably the types that worry Nissan in this particular situation. I can see it both ways from a marketing standpoint and yes the first customer being an "ideal" is always very nice. Unfortunately, no one is ideal (thank god) and everything will not be perfect. This is life. We all roll with it and come up smiling. Hopefully Nissans marketing will see it this way.

As I've said, we'll see where that goes ...
I simply had a fairly bitter feeling after that phone call, because I felt like he was really trying to push me into getting the L2 installed weither I needed or not. First time I've had a "bad" experience with Nissan in my purchase process. Honestly, thinking about it afterwards, I will not go spend $1500 simply to be the first ... it would probably be worth it though, as I'm sure the first car will have some kind of premium value for collectors, but I simply don't like having my hand forced to do something.
If it's so important for Nissan that I have an L2 charger installed, because of PR reasons, then they can pay for it as part of their marketting budget (and I told them that I'd be willing to contribute 50% of my local electrician install, which is kind of an "insurance" against the AMT / tax credit thing not applying to me). I'm not a cheap bastard, I don't absolutely need L2, and if I move in 9 months (when my lease is up), I won't feel good about having washed that money down the toilet.
But I also got the feeling that they wanted the install to be done by AV (well, you get the idea, they want a "standard" buyer / EVSE install which they believe will be the most common case -- and they're probably right for the 90% of buyers not on this forum --).
As for the "inconsistencies", I'm actually surprised that this is the first time that someone thought that I could be lying. Well, I'm not.

The delivery is scheduled for 1PM at Northbay Nissan, Petaluma.

If you find a way to sneak the VIN into a post - you could make sure that history records which car is actually the first delivered worldwide - might be worth an extra dime or two down the road. :p

gudy said:
As I've said, we'll see where that goes ...
I simply had a fairly bitter feeling after that phone call, because I felt like he was really trying to push me into getting the L2 installed weither I needed or not. First time I've had a "bad" experience with Nissan in my purchase process. Honestly, thinking about it afterwards, I will not go spend $1500 simply to be the first ... it would probably be worth it though, as I'm sure the first car will have some kind of premium value for collectors, but I simply don't like having my hand forced to do something.
If it's so important for Nissan that I have an L2 charger installed, because of PR reasons, then they can pay for it as part of their marketting budget (and I told them that I'd be willing to contribute 50% of my local electrician install, which is kind of an "insurance" against the AMT / tax credit thing not applying to me). I'm not a cheap bastard, I don't absolutely need L2, and if I move in 9 months (when my lease is up), I won't feel good about having washed that money down the toilet.
But I also got the feeling that they wanted the install to be done by AV (well, you get the idea, they want a "standard" buyer / EVSE install which they believe will be the most common case -- and they're probably right for the 90% of buyers not on this forum --).
As for the "inconsistencies", I'm actually surprised that this is the first time that someone thought that I could be lying. Well, I'm not.

The delivery is scheduled for 1PM at Northbay Nissan, Petaluma.

Gudy...

Consider the resale value of your home should a prospective buyer already own an EV. I know if I had a choice between 2 homes and one already had an EVSE, I'd pay a little more to NOT have the hassle and headache of contracting out (and waiting) for a new EVSE install job....I'd buy the home with the EVSE installed (assuming everything else was basically equal)

I consider it not just something for me, but it adds value to my house down the road when I sell. Just an idea.

Back