Data from Battery Tempurature logging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mtndrew1 said:
Thanks to JejuSoul I got logging set up on my car.

I'll make something prettier with a breakout chart for battery fan and charging status once I get my hands on Excel. This was Google Sheets which seems pretty limited in regards to what you can do with a chart.

Background: It was ~80 degrees F in Southern California yesterday when I recorded these values. When this chart begins, I had formerly charged from the default 80% to 100% at 7.2 kW, driven 30 miles, then charged back to 100% at 7.2 kW.

This chart begins after those two charging events and covers a 68 mile round trip with a four hour break in between segments. The green bar is the battery fan status, which has nine speeds. This particular day it never exceeded speed 2. This needs to be broken out of this chart so that the right side values can be degrees F as opposed to fan speed.

Next week I do a drive from LA to Palm Springs (110+ F) and back at highway speeds with an L3 charge in each direction and an overnight heat soak and L3 following the heat soak. I'm very curious to see those values!
Hello mtndrew1,
This is great, but you are in the wrong forum. This is the Leaf forum you shoul most likely be posting this chart in the Kia Soul forum.

I think every leaf owner wishes the Leaf had a fan, but it does not so it is hard to extrapolate your data to a leaf.

Thanks,
Dan

Hello Everyone,
I got data for 3 days with the Ambient temp added.

Tamb is the yellow line. It seams to be more effected by the batter temperature than I would think it should. It does go up in the day time and drop down at night the way it should. I think I need more data to really see what it does.

I do really wish I knew where this sensor is located.

Thanks,
Dan

Danl said:
mtndrew1 said:
Thanks to JejuSoul I got logging set up on my car.

I'll make something prettier with a breakout chart for battery fan and charging status once I get my hands on Excel. This was Google Sheets which seems pretty limited in regards to what you can do with a chart.

Background: It was ~80 degrees F in Southern California yesterday when I recorded these values. When this chart begins, I had formerly charged from the default 80% to 100% at 7.2 kW, driven 30 miles, then charged back to 100% at 7.2 kW.

This chart begins after those two charging events and covers a 68 mile round trip with a four hour break in between segments. The green bar is the battery fan status, which has nine speeds. This particular day it never exceeded speed 2. This needs to be broken out of this chart so that the right side values can be degrees F as opposed to fan speed.

Next week I do a drive from LA to Palm Springs (110+ F) and back at highway speeds with an L3 charge in each direction and an overnight heat soak and L3 following the heat soak. I'm very curious to see those values!
Hello mtndrew1,
This is great, but you are in the wrong forum. This is the Leaf forum you shoul most likely be posting this chart in the Kia Soul forum.

I think every leaf owner wishes the Leaf had a fan, but it does not so it is hard to extrapolate your data to a leaf.

Thanks,
Dan

I had intended to post it to MNL as your chart last week was what inspired me to order an Android tablet, OBD2 reader, and spend the weekend configuring it to make a similar chart.

I had assumed there would be cross interest but clearly that was in error. I'll delete my post; apologies for the distraction.

I've got a Vectrix VX-1 with 18 MY2013 Leaf cells (hopefully made after 3/13!) and I just added a crude temp sensor that rests on the top of the pack's Nissan bus bar cover. I need a few pieces of information to help me interpret what I got for readings today.

* What are the temp ranges for each temp bar in the Leaf?

* Has anyone ever had occasion to measure the temperature of the orange plastic bus covers in an installed, warm pack?

The highest temp reading I got was about 80.5F, about 15 minutes after the ride ended, with the bike sitting in the garage. Ambient temps were in the mid seventies to about 80F. The pack (as measured by the cover!) temp started at about 72.7F, so I got about an 8F rise. I'm going to measure this every time I ride until I can see what the sensor reads in various ambient temps, after charging etc. I'll never know the actual pack temp, but I hope to be able to establish when it is OK to recharge immediately, and when to wait a day if possible, as I do now.

(Thank the gods for UPS devices! The power went out while I was finishing the post, but I was able to save it.)

mtndrew1 said:
I had intended to post it to MNL as your chart last week was what inspired me to order an Android tablet, OBD2 reader, and spend the weekend configuring it to make a similar chart.

I had assumed there would be cross interest but clearly that was in error. I'll delete my post; apologies for the distraction.

No Worries,
It was interesting and you did a good job collecting and displaying the data. I just thought it would be much more useful to the Kia Soul group. Also many Leaf people could get confused and even start thinking that the Leaf had a fan that worked as you described.

thanks,
Dan

Back