Dan Neil on the Model S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulScott

For a fun break away from discussing LEAF things, spend a few minutes reading Dan Neil's take on the model S.

Neil is simply the best auto writer there is. Here he writes about the best car there is.

"... and taken as a whole, seen in the California sun, the Model S is a glowing, glassine tranche of well-heeled wickedness."

Also check out his take on the Mission R motorcycle. I got to ride that awesome rocket during EVS26 a few months ago. Both are in this link:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304211804577504632238740966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks, Paul. I've loved reading Dan Neil since his days with the LA Times. He knows his stuff, writes well and because he understands EVs and appreciates their potential contribution to the solving of our transportation energy issues, he's the very best kind of "car guy". For the EV movement, it's great to have someone like Dan writing for a large circulation paper.

Wow, a tour de force of story and response.

"How am I "prepared for disappointment"? There is absolutely no evidence that a mass market for EV’s will emerge. I think it will. I hope so. God knows it ought to. But wise public policy seems to be rather out of fashion these days. So, fingers crossed."

And he finishes with this gem:

"But I wouldn’t want the usual enthusiast flyspecking to blind us to the moment. The Model S represents something very big and very important. I cannot shake the feeling of a corner turned. As an American, as a car-lover, and as a parent, it makes me happy. As a critic, I’m prepared for disappointment, yes, but I’m also willing to be amazed."
-- Dan Neil

Dan Neil is incredible. You get the sense he whipped that out on the fly. How does his mind work like that?

He was challenged and answered the author here:

http://jalopnik.com/5924119/its-too-bad-elon-musk-wouldnt-even-give-dan-neil-a-full-tesla-model-s-test-drive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Podcast the day he drove the car:

http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/the-smoking-tire/id496797178?mt=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pass on to other Dan Neil fans.

Great blog post and responses. I'm amused by this one, referring to Dan:
"I love that guy but he's a pro-electric left-leaning car nerd willing to cheerlead for a company that's been sucking on the taxpayer tit to build toys for the wealthy."

Why is it that people object to start-ups "sucking on the taxpayer tit" (with loans) but don't seem to mind that the oil companies that fuel their ICE cars don't leave much left in the tit for the start-ups to suck? (with subsidies)

Having had a chance to take a test drive today, I have to say, the S is really something amazing. It's a game changer, IMHO, not as much an electric car as it is a great driving machine! The acceleration picks up where the Leaf flattens out and keeps on building till you have to take your foot off the gas pedal. the handling is effortless, turns are kind of gravity defying. It's powerful and aggressive but also smooth and agile. I could go on and on and I'm totally serious... a stunning car!

that said, I got back in the Leaf and was still impressed by it for what it is.

GaslessInSeattle said:
The acceleration picks up where the Leaf flattens out and keeps on building till you have to take your foot off the gas pedal.
What is gas? ;) One of those dirty fossil fuels they used in the old days?

I got to actually drive one last week while doing a television event... I liked it enough that I put down a deposit for delivery shortly before my current leaf Lease is up... (You can't really do that so they had to play some games for me...)

GaslessInSeattle said:
Having had a chance to take a test drive today, I have to say, the S is really something amazing. It's a game changer, IMHO, not as much an electric car as it is a great driving machine! The acceleration picks up where the Leaf flattens out and keeps on building till you have to take your foot off the gas pedal. the handling is effortless, turns are kind of gravity defying. It's powerful and aggressive but also smooth and agile. I could go on and on and I'm totally serious... a stunning car!

Us too, now we have to figure out whether we keep the Leaf or the Hybrid Highlander... hate to say it but it kind of depends on how Nissan handles the premature range loss issues cropping up.

TomT said:
I got to actually drive one last week while doing a television event... I liked it enough that I put down a deposit for delivery shortly before my current leaf Lease is up... (You can't really do that so they had to play some games for me...)

GaslessInSeattle said:

Back