Crazy flashing warning lights on dash - 2013

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rauv

Ran a few errands this morning and during the power up to return home, the dash warning lights and indicators acted like a pinball machine that just paid out. I searched the normal threads for topics such as EV warning lights, 12 volt battery, and key fob but nothing quite like this.

I will call the dealer to set up an appt. tomorrow, but does anyone have an idea here?

pinball machine is a pretty good description! do you have LEAF Spy? you can pull codes. Since you are moving, I am guessing you have some sort of bad connection going on. loose plug maybe

Check the charge on the 12V battery if you haven't already. Disconnecting it for a minute then re-connecting may clear something.

Dave's suggestions are good. Where are you located?

Thats what our does when the 12v battery is low. It is somewhere in the 12v system, either a weak battery, undercharged battery or poor connection to the 12v battery. If you have a 12v charger putt hat on your 12v battery.

I put the 12v battery on a charging tender, and its been bulk charging for a couple hours, and it went into float charging, so maybe the 12v battery is OK. If it were a bad 12 volt battery, it would have taken a lot longer to get to float, correct?

I will remove the 12 volt red cable and see if that resets the yellow indicators on the dash.

Leaf Spy Pro screenshot shows a lot of errors but its greek to me

Safety tip: Always disconnect the black (negative) side. This greatly reduces the possibility of an accidental shorting...

Rauv said:
I will remove the 12 volt red cable and see if that resets the yellow indicators on the dash.

Rauv said:
I put the 12v battery on a charging tender, and its been bulk charging for a couple hours, and it went into float charging, so maybe the 12v battery is OK. If it were a bad 12 volt battery, it would have taken a lot longer to get to float, correct?

Leaf Spy Pro screenshot shows a lot of errors but its greek to me:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dk6b9fenh384n15/service%20screen.jpg?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this is actually a good indicator of a bad battery. it charges quickly because its capacity is greatly reduced. near dead batteries charge very fast but die just as fast. look at a degrading battery like putting a teaspoon of sand in a glass. as the sand fills the glass, less water can be added. your battery works the same way.

another thing to consider is your car was running correct? which means the 12 volt battery is essentially disconnected. Sounds like it is the 12 volt system. When your car is on and running, you should be able to measure 13.2 volts. check that

Thank you for your help guys! Dealer agreed with your diagnosis and is replacing the 12 volt battery under warranty. Great forum with informed users for sure.

By the way, can't a lead acid battery be load tested at a service station or a Firestone, etc., to be sure it's still good for some capacity without simply replacing?

Back