Cost of driving Leaf versus Toyota Yaris

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
misterno said:
The result is cost is exactly same
Exactly? :lol:

This also assumes that the replacement battery price will stay the same in 100K miles... or if you even keep the car that long. I purchased my LEAF, but I drive fewer than 7500 miles per year. It's going to take me over 13 years to get to 100K miles.

Except you are driving a Yaris.....I get that people want to commute for as little as possible but these comparisons are overdone. If you want to commute for as little as possible buy a bicycle or a motorcycle.

I agree, Mike. I think it's awesome that you can drive a new piece of technology like the LEAF and it is in the ballpark per mile of an econobox car....

Can't say that for the first computers, cell phones, VCRs, etc that were sold...

But if you want to focus on the comparison, you're counting the biggest replacement item cost for the LEAF, but you're not counting any repairs or maintenance for the Yaris...If you're replacing the battery at 100K, then you're good for 200K of driving in your example. But you don't compare any Yaris over and above maintenance costs for that same period.

Don't worry, you can drive the LEAF for about the same or a little less, enjoy the all-electric drive and all the other associated benefits...

Also, I pay about 1 cent per mile for electricity. And you're assuming that gas stays at whatever price you've assigned to it for the next 10 years (which I would bet against).

Guys

Please keep in mind I did not even consider resale value

I think the EV technology is evolving much faster than ICE

So the resale value drop in a 2015 Nissan Leaf will be steeper than 2009 Toyota Yaris

OTOH, the battery replacement cost will drop as well

I remember like 7-8 years ago it was 8K for replacement now it is 5,500

My feelings are mixed

But I am a crazy driver and I need torque more than anything else

So Nissan Leaf is something I would like to own

I have to convince the wifey first :)

Sit in the back of a Yaris and then sit in the back of the Leaf, no comparison :) Personally I feel the same about the front seat as well. They are not really comparable cars in my opinion.

Just curious what numbers did you use to get $.10 a mile for fuel for the Yaris? Our TDI is at 7.94 cents a mile at 48.72 mpg (last tank) where the Leaf is 1.44 cents a mile for 158 miles consuming 36 kwh at $.0631/KWh.

As Forummm noted historically gas has gone up significantly faster in cost than electricity and I would bet that trend will continue.

BrockWI said:
Sit in the back of a Yaris and then sit in the back of the Leaf, no comparison :) Personally I feel the same about the front seat as well. They are not really comparable cars in my opinion.

Just curious what numbers did you use to get $.10 a mile for fuel for the Yaris? Our TDI is at 7.94 cents a mile at 48.72 mpg (last tank) where the Leaf is 1.44 cents a mile for 158 miles consuming 36 kwh at $.0631/KWh.

As Forummm noted historically gas has gone up significantly faster in cost than electricity and I would bet that trend will continue.

well where I live, power prices are going up faster than gas

Also, I am a hypermiler and TOyota Yaris is like sniffing not drinking the gas

so for 30 dollars of gas I can get 300 miles easily

if I drive on highway no AC on, I got 37 miles per gallon

Neraby costco gas is 2.53/gal

but I LOVE the torque on Nissan Leaf

I will enjoy driving so much with this electric car I just need to bargain harder maybe

I remember seeing ads 6-7 months ago in TX newspapers, LEAF was going for 20K

I should have gotten it by then

Why are you including the battery replacement costs? Who has bought a new battery?

Shouldn't you include regular maintenance costs?

Even at 19.2¢/kWh we are paying ~5¢ / mile to drive a Leaf, and a Yaris will cost an additional 2-3¢/mile for regular maintenance costs.

Battery replacement should get the Leaf to 200-250k total miles.

A Yaris will likely need at least one major repair in that span, such as a timing belt replacement, clutch, or transmission rebuild. Throw in a penny a mile for oil changes too.

Pretty much though, the best thing you can generally do for the environment (and your pocketbook) is to drive whatever car you already have into the ground. A few gas guzzlers in the <15 MPG category will be better off retiring early, but usually the damage to the environment can't be undone once a vehicle rolls off the assembly line.

NeilBlanchard said:
Why are you including the battery replacement costs? Who has bought a new battery?

Shouldn't you include regular maintenance costs?

Even at 19.2¢/kWh we are paying ~5¢ / mile to drive a Leaf, and a Yaris will cost an additional 2-3¢/mile for regular maintenance costs.

You are using the battery right?

So when you sell the car, that will eat into your sales price...

Maintenance cost and other stuff cancel each other, LEAF is not maintenance free

You know I am thinking
Maybe I should not include battery replacement cost

Toyota yaris is depreciating in value for a different reason
At the end they both depreciate

So the question is what is the resale value on an Ev?

It can not be miles cuz in Ev this means not much I think it is the battery health.

But in ice cars miles is the essence in calculating the resale

Can someone help me here?

5 year true cost to own of base models, no options, from Edmunds:

LEAF S: $29,841

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/2014/tco.html?style=200674102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yaris L Hatchback: $38,566

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/yaris/2014/tco.html?style=200482941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Moof said:
Pretty much though, the best thing you can generally do for the environment (and your pocketbook) is to drive whatever car you already have into the ground. A few gas guzzlers in the <15 MPG category will be better off retiring early, but usually the damage to the environment can't be undone once a vehicle rolls off the assembly line.
Environmental claim is a myth: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1093657_buying-a-new-car-is-greener-than-driving-an-old-one-really" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BrockWI said:
Indeed. The Yaris isn't a very good car (still scoring too low to recommend in Consumer Reports tests). Try flooring the Leaf and the Yaris then feeling and hearing the NVH (noise, harshness and vibration) of each, in comparison.

The Yaris is also a compact car (per EPA size classification) vs. the midsize Leaf (see Specs tab of http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35297&id=34918" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

The Leaf has much lower cost maintenance than any ICE. Oil changes and tuneups can cost as much as 3.5¢ / mile if you are going to the dealer. Even wear items like brakes are going to last much longer in the Leaf, because we have regen to do most of the work slowing down.

NeilBlanchard said:
The Leaf has much lower cost maintenance than any ICE. Oil changes and tuneups can cost as much as 3.5¢ / mile if you are going to the dealer. Even wear items like brakes are going to last much longer in the Leaf, because we have regen to do most of the work slowing down.
and try stopping by a dealer shop with a 2-3 yr. old Toyota or Honda. "Sir, you are due for your 30K inspection....that will be $700 please."

misterno said:
See attached for my basic simple analysis

The result is cost is exactly same

too basic too simple which in itself is not a problem but you clearly illustrate the LEAF is a penny per mile cheaper and EVERYTHING you left out increases the Yaris cost.

so what exactly is your point?

Back