Cost of driving Leaf versus Toyota Yaris

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
5 year true cost to own of base models, no options, from Edmunds:

LEAF S: $29,841

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/leaf/2014/tco.html?style=200674102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yaris L Hatchback: $38,566

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/yaris/2014/tco.html?style=200482941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am just wondering were do they get their insurance cost numbers. Who would pay $2000 a year insurance for a one car? I pay less than half for two Leafs. I know it varies by location, but does that means some people pay even $3000 a year to insure a Yaris?

Maybe I spoke too soon, in a few years I will have a teenage driver, I will see what my insurance rate will be then. I can always claim that the teen will only be able to drive 50 miles on one charge in the 2011 Leaf, and that only if it drives like an old lady, so the insurance should increase much.

I am doing a cost analysis on 3 cars.

Car #3; not mine. is 2012 Yaris (aint that convenient?) automatic. daily driver. commute 4 days a week. mostly freeway 66 miles RT

Car #2; 2000 Corolla. Used only for work and mostly freeway on trips 75 miles plus

Car #3; 2013 LEAF. Daily driver used extensively for work (would be more but lease mileage limitations are an issue. currently using the "Winter range hit" as an excuse to park it more...)

FYI; This analysis runs a year and its REAL cost. not projected or any other BS... a few things are unbalanced (insurance costs on Yaris are higher) and are either recorded with footnotes or simply ignored. (prime example. She did oil change and allowed Toyota to replace her windshield wipers for $32 and this was after she declined my offer to get replacements at Costco for $4.50 per side...)

Payments on Corolla; zero. paid cash and was just over $2400
LEAF; $245.75 per month on 3 year, 15,000 mile lease
Yaris; $256ish on 5 year car loan.

will be back in Jan

misterno said:
BrockWI said:
Sit in the back of a Yaris and then sit in the back of the Leaf, no comparison :) Personally I feel the same about the front seat as well. They are not really comparable cars in my opinion.

Just curious what numbers did you use to get $.10 a mile for fuel for the Yaris? Our TDI is at 7.94 cents a mile at 48.72 mpg (last tank) where the Leaf is 1.44 cents a mile for 158 miles consuming 36 kwh at $.0631/KWh.

As Forummm noted historically gas has gone up significantly faster in cost than electricity and I would bet that trend will continue.

well where I live, power prices are going up faster than gas

Don't look at the recent anomalous drop in gas prices. The global oil market relies on a constrained supply and global demand continues to rise. In the domestic electricity market there is a range of energy sources available, with little constraint on most of them. We'll never run out of sun or wind (both of which are getting very competitive with gas/coal), we have an insane amount of coal and lots of gas. Nuclear is also unlimited but has a long lead time to bring online.

Back