Clock running fast?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
barsad said:
I wonder, rather than complaining about our fast clocks to each other, has anyone bothered to ask a Nissan engineer or a Nissan dealer about the problem, and how it could be fixed? This seems like it could be a simple software upgrade.

Josh
First - maybe you don't understand, that several of us have already requested a fix for the clock ... one of THE most minor things needed. Second, that requires a bit of naivete - to think one can waltz on into Nissan and expect them to fix something. How many months have several of us been waiting for Nissan to fix the RFI issue? About a HALF YEAR now? Similarly, I've had the little yellow car/exclamation point icons come on. They don't know squat about jumping on that, either. It's a grat car. But it IS the 1st production run. So if they can't get to the bigger things that possibly could be REAL problems - you can kiss our clock issue bye bye. Welcome to reality, and Nissan's overwhelmed techs.

barsad said:
I wonder, rather than complaining about our fast clocks to each other, has anyone bothered to ask a Nissan engineer or a Nissan dealer about the problem, and how it could be fixed? This seems like it could be a simple software upgrade.Josh

The clock in the navi display is set using the GPS time automatically. The clock in the meter above the steering wheel is internally regulated. They do not talk to each other. This is not something that is going to be corrected any time soon since it is a hardware issue. I have not personally had an issue since my clocks stayed within about 10 seconds of each either after a month. If you do not like the mismatch then you can easily turn the clock in the navi display off -- this is how the dealers receive them, so someone along the way turned it on. Unfortunately there is no option to turn off the clock in the upper meter.

kovalb said:
If you do not like the mismatch then you can easily turn the clock in the navi display off -- this is how the dealers receive them, so someone along the way turned it on. Unfortunately there is no option to turn off the clock in the upper meter.
Wait a minute! You want me to turn off the one that is accurate, and keep the one that runs two minutes a month fast? :lol:

It's not the mismatch I dislike; it's the fact that I can't depend on the one that is staring me in the face and taking up valuable space in the eyebrow.

Ray

Well, I've only had my Leaf 3 weeks, but so far, the 2 clocks have matched to the minute.

This morning, I discovered that the "Daylight Savings Time" setting in the clock menu doesn't mean "automatically change for start/end of DST" but instead means "add 1 hour whenever this is turned on". The NAV clock didn't automatically change this morning so I had to go into the menu and turn DST off. Then, out course, I had to turn the speedo clock back an hour (forward 23 hours :lol: ) to match.

The two clocks sure seem not to talk to each other, as someone in this thread implied.

planet4ever said:
kovalb said:
If you do not like the mismatch then you can easily turn the clock in the navi display off -- this is how the dealers receive them, so someone along the way turned it on. Unfortunately there is no option to turn off the clock in the upper meter.
Wait a minute! You want me to turn off the one that is accurate, and keep the one that runs two minutes a month fast? :lol:

It's not the mismatch I dislike; it's the fact that I can't depend on the one that is staring me in the face and taking up valuable space in the eyebrow.

Ray

Here's another option, one that I'm seriously considering.

Keep the Center clock on, but cut some electrical tape to size and cover up the clock display in the eyebrow, in essence turning it off. Yes, highly annoying, but it may help prevent a heart attack when I think I'm suddenly so late! :)

They likely use low-cost ceramic resonators instead of properly trimmed quartz crystal in the combination meter, which explains why some of them are way off.

It's astounding that they didn't include an auto-set function. The Head unit and the CM clearly have a communication path, so this would have only been a few lines of software in each, probably less than the UI code in the CM for setting the clock manually.

Pipe Dream, but it would be nice if they open-sourced this so we could fix it ourselves.

-Phil

DoxyLover said:
This morning, I discovered that the "Daylight Savings Time" setting in the clock menu doesn't mean "automatically change for start/end of DST" but instead means "add 1 hour whenever this is turned on". The NAV clock didn't automatically change this morning so I had to go into the menu and turn DST off. Then, out course, I had to turn the speedo clock back an hour (forward 23 hours :lol: ) to match.

The two clocks sure seem not to talk to each other, as someone in this thread implied.

I currently still drive an Infiniti and have had a Nissan, so I don't find this too unusual. All Nissan's and Infiniti's work the same way and the two clocks do not interrelate at all. the DST setting is not automatic and has to be reset in the menu. The dash clock also has to be manually reset. Given that it loses about 2 minutes every six months or so, this doesn't bother me.

Still - given that the car has a GPS unit that constantly communicates and syncs on "time," it is odd that they did not engineer the car to do time changes automatically and to sync the two clocks.

Ingineer said:
The Head unit and the CM clearly have a communication path, so this would have only been a few lines of software in each, probably less than the UI code in the CM for setting the clock manually.
My guess is that they borrowed the design for the "eyebrow" clock from another car in which the NAV system was an option, hence the need to work without a NAV system. This would be less work for them than designing a new clock to work with the NAV system to use in cars where the NAV comes standard. Sad, but probably true.

Yes mine as well, you would think if you can buy a $5 watch that keep time at the drug store you could get a good clock in a $40,000 car.

Gonewild said:
Yes mine as well, you would think if you can buy a $5 watch that keep time at the drug store you could get a good clock in a $40,000 car.

But that would cost $.10 more per unit. Nissan needs refine where to pick their cost cutting battles.

tps said:
Ingineer said:
The Head unit and the CM clearly have a communication path, so this would have only been a few lines of software in each, probably less than the UI code in the CM for setting the clock manually.
My guess is that they borrowed the design for the "eyebrow" clock from another car in which the NAV system was an option, hence the need to work without a NAV system. This would be less work for them than designing a new clock to work with the NAV system to use in cars where the NAV comes standard. Sad, but probably true.
Still, they could have added this, and if the NAV is not on the CAN bus, then the clock doesn't get auto-set and defaults back to manual. You could even add an option in the menu right below 12/24 hour that lets you choose Auto Set: on/off.

Takes maybe an hour of the developers time.

-Phil

barsad said:
I wonder, rather than complaining about our fast clocks to each other, has anyone bothered to ask a Nissan engineer or a Nissan dealer about the problem, and how it could be fixed? This seems like it could be a simple software upgrade.

Josh
I asked my dealer about that. They told me, that Nissan told them, that "it was within tolerances". Which REALLY pi$$ed me off. If you owned a $5 Timex watch, and it was off by 2 minutes per month, you'd return it and get a new one!!!
I had my one year checkup this past Monday, and mentioned the clock. When I returned, he said that he didn't find anything about it on the Nissan problem list... yeah, right!

Ingineer said:
Still, they could have added this, and if the NAV is not on the CAN bus, then the clock doesn't get auto-set and defaults back to manual. You could even add an option in the menu right below 12/24 hour that lets you choose Auto Set: on/off.

Takes maybe an hour of the developers time.

-Phil

Might even take 61 minutes... ;)

Having a second clock on the dash that gains 2-4 minutes a month is f#%]*+g stupid. We only need the clock on the Nav... Especially if the other one is always wrong.

Take the dash clock out and the waste of space tree thing and give us some sun visors with extenders instead. 2 problems solved.

EVDrive said:
Having a second clock on the dash that gains 2-4 minutes a month is f#%]*+g stupid. We only need the clock on the Nav... Especially if the other one is always wrong.

Take the dash clock out and the waste of space tree thing and give us some sun visors with extenders instead. 2 problems solved.

...Take the clock and the 'trees' out, and replace it with GOM/LEAFscan display!...

Back