Clock running fast?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dash clock is only about 3 seconds per month slow. I will only need to adjust it once per year, probably when I adjust for daylight savings time.

<EVDRIVER Tongue-In-Cheek Mode on>
You folks are overlooking the obvious. The eyebrow clocks were make in Japan and tuned for GMT+8. The trip to California, which involved crossing the International Date Line and flipping the sign of the GMT offset, was very disorienting for them, and due to problems with pollen and firmware upgrade and the precool bug the Long Beach crew was too busy to re-tune most of them. Because of that they naturally run fast to try to get back to what they consider to be the correct time.
<EVDTICM off>

Ray

After over two months (and reading the forum) I do notice that the clock is slightly ahead, about 15 sec. No adjustments made/needed yet. I am not sure if it was in sync at the beginning.

Dan.

And I thought Nissan wanted to make sure I was never late for an appointment. :lol:
Mine is 5 minutes fast since set by dealer 4 months ago...but then at my age, time seems to pass so fast that 5 min. does not even register.

So clearly it is more a problem of miserable quality control since they seem to be all over the map even though the majority are fast by quite a bit... I wonder how Nissan managed to find such terrible clock chips?!

mogur said:
So clearly it is more a problem of miserable quality control since they seem to be all over the map even though the majority are fast by quite a bit... I wonder how Nissan managed to find such terrible clock chips?!

No idea, but it's not a new problem. Very common to have an inaccurate clock on the Murano dating back to 2003. I was lucky enough to have one very accurate, but many people complain about a 1-2 minute gain per month.

Interesting thing is that they have multiple models of vehicles (Murano and Leaf at least) spanning many years, with the common problem of running too fast. I don't think I've heard of one on either car running too slow. Either dead-on, or fast.

Maybe they got a huge bulk shipment back at the turn of the century for REALLY cheap and still haven't gotten through the pile yet? ;)

mogur said:
What . . . . you mean it's not normal to have to adjust the clocks (never mind there's NO reason to have 2 clocks) a whopping 3 times, in 5 months? It'd only be about 7 minutes ahead on one, and 5 minutes ahead on the other -
Maybe they'll have the parts to fix the RF interference about the same time they get their clocks to run right.
:(

I guess I am just spoiled. I have not had a car in 20 years that did not keep near perfect time ... until the Leaf.

blorg said:
mogur said:

No idea, but it's not a new problem. Very common to have an inaccurate clock on the Murano dating back to 2003. I was lucky enough to have one very accurate, but many people complain about a 1-2 minute gain per month.

Interesting thing is that they have multiple models of vehicles (Murano and Leaf at least) spanning many years, with the common problem of running too fast. I don't think I've heard of one on either car running too slow. Either dead-on, or fast.

Maybe they got a huge bulk shipment back at the turn of the century for REALLY cheap and still haven't gotten through the pile yet? ;)

hill said:
What . . . . you mean it's not normal to have to adjust the clocks (never mind there's NO reason to have 2 clocks) a whopping 3 times, in 5 months? It'd only be about 7 minutes ahead on one, and 5 minutes ahead on the other -
You have to adjust the one in the center console? What do you do, keep the car in your Batman cave all the time and never let it see the sky?

Ray

I wonder, rather than complaining about our fast clocks to each other, has anyone bothered to ask a Nissan engineer or a Nissan dealer about the problem, and how it could be fixed? This seems like it could be a simple software upgrade.

Josh

Back 41 years ago in 1970 my Mustang was made with an analog clock. It was self adjusting. You bump it forward a bit and it would run a bit faster. Bump it back and it would run a bit slower. Three to five adjustments and it was dead on. Too bad this sort of hitech engineering has been lost.

barsad said:
I wonder, rather than complaining about our fast clocks to each other, has anyone bothered to ask a Nissan engineer or a Nissan dealer about the problem, and how it could be fixed? This seems like it could be a simple software upgrade.

Yes, someone just had their car in for warranty service and the Nissan response was "no fix available" (or something close to that).

TomT said:
I guess I am just spoiled. I have not had a car in 20 years that did not keep near perfect time ... until the Leaf.

That's so funny. My experience is just the opposite. I've NEVER had a car in over 40 years that kept good time until the LEAF. It's (eyebrow clock) exactly in sync with my phone.

LEAFfan said:
I've NEVER had a car in over 40 years that kept good time until the LEAF. It's exactly in sync with my phone.
Define "It's". Do you mean the clock in the eyebrow, or the one displayed on the console? I believe we are only complaining about the eyebrow clock.
[Just reset mine for the 4th time last week. It was three minutes fast.]

Ray

I always have the 'energy screen' on so I never use the console clock. I even forgot where it is. I saw it once 4 mos. ago when I was going through all the screens. I was so surprised when I found the eyebrow clock in perfect sync with my phone!

Back