ClipperCreek Reconnect CA Grant for EV Charging Program

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPVLeaf

Clipper Creek has announced their Reconnect CA Grant for Electric Vehicle Charging Stations!

ClipperCreek upgrades began July 2011 and will conclude in February 2013.

More then 350 Legacy EV charge stations have already been upgraded at over 200 sites throughout California.

To take advantage of this grant program, have potential hosts contact ClipperCreek at [email protected].

See more details on the Clipper Creek website about equipment that would be installed, what the grant covers, and the grant participation process.

The Program
The California Energy Commission (CEC) together with ClipperCreek have funded a program to upgrade existing publicly available EV charging infrastructure to the new SAE J1772 charging standard that has been adopted universally by all the BEV (battery electric vehicle) and PHEV(plug in hybrid electric vehicle) automakers in the US. Together, the CEC and ClipperCreek have funded 100% of this upgrade so that it will be at NO COST, to the site owner.

Basic Grant Requirements
To qualify for grant funding under the Reconnect Ca grant program a site must meet the following
requirements:
1.) Charge site must be accessible to the general public.
2.) Electrical infrastructure for EV charging must be in place at the site, at the desired install location (208/240V, 40A branch circuit).
3.) 1 SPI (Small Paddle Inductive) charger must remain in place where SPI chargers are currently installed.
4.) Site owner must agree to allow ClipperCreek to collect kWh usage information from the grant funded equipment.
5.) Site must be approved for funding by ClipperCreek and the CEC.

Down in our area of Southern California, I think everyone has taken advantage of this program that intends to (which is not very many people). I've spoken to a few of them, and they're either not interested (using legacy car traffic to decide it's not worth it) or they don't want to give electricity away for free (but may opt for ECOTality or ChargePoint equipment as some have done).

I only know of two locations in San Diego that participated in this program and had their legacy equipment upgraded to new Clipper Creek units...

Besides Cosco, I don't get the mindset of Frys Electronics. The Fountain Vally location still has the large paddle inductive chargers from the EV1 days... :roll: You'd think there of all places it would bring in customers! Opportunity charge and whoops accidentally bought some goodies. :lol:

Back