Climate Control Solution - Gain Control of your Heater!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
The heater quirk really a "defect"? Yes, it sucks, but I can see why a company isn't too interested in making significant changes to something that isn't bringing in revenue anymore. 2011 and 2012 Leafs stopped being manufactured and sold when the '13s began.
It is a significant design error as is the 2011 and 2012 battery chemistry.
Both are severe enough that I consider them to be defective product.

Roadburner440 said:
... To get the thread back on track though I emailed EVSE upgrade through the contact us page, and they are still doing the mod for us 11 & 12 people. In fact a guy named Mike who emailed me back said he added me to a list, and that pricing is TBD. Also that there is no longer an exchange either. So just use the contact us link in the very first post from Engineer, and they should get back with you.
That's good news for the owners of 2011/2012 models, especially the used car buyers. I installed the modified CC unit 2½ years ago and I am very, very glad I had it done. This time of the year I defog my windshield with unheated air nearly every time I drive the LEAF, all thanks to Ingineer's mod. Highly recommended for those who drive older LEAFs and don't want to waste kWh unnecessarily on the resistance heater!

dgpcolorado said:
I installed the modified CC unit 2½ years ago and I am very, very glad I had it done. This time of the year I defog my windshield with unheated air nearly every time I drive the LEAF, all thanks to Ingineer's mod.

Yeah I wish I had of done it 30 months ago when I got the car. However it was a lease, and I didn't want to do anything like that to it. So all I did was the EVSE cord upgrade since that technically wasn't to the car. Now that I am going to be keeping the car I am going to start with this, and then work my way around the car. It has definitely sucked having to keep turning the CC on/off though and having to use the heater when I really just need the fan. Plus the heat seems to make the windows fog even worse once you turn it off. Is a no win situation.

TimLee said:
EVerlasting said:
Nissan could have fixed the darn ventilation bug when they did the P3227 software update which required a visit to the dealer.
But they couldn't even get that right and messed up regeneration for everyone that had it done and have yet to fix it :!:
And they have yet to fix the grabby brakes issue.
Nissan apparently doesn't know how to fix that :cry:
Very true! I did the P3227 software update at local Nissan dealer and my 2012 LEAF suffered from reduced regen. They indeed did not get it right. Ironically, during the same time Nissan launched the new 2013 LEAF with extra regen with B mode.

Also very true about the grabby brakes. I'm so used to it now that when it happens I don't even pay attention to it. I just allow my head to move forward and backwards repeatedly when Grabby Brake Mode comes on. Nissan should patent Grabby Brake Technology. :lol:

I think that software update for 2011-2012 LEAFs was just to add insult to the injury.

BTW: I am on the list of Ingeneer's list for CC mod too.

EVerlasting said:
BTW: I am on the list of Ingeneer's list for CC mod too.

Is punishment for not getting it originally. :lol: I'm just glad we have intelligent people like Phil and Gary to figure this stuff out. Before sending the email I read that thread on how to do it myself dozens of times, and I just pictured burning holes in my circuit card and components even attempting it. I am ok at soldering large stuff, but the whole micro-miniature repair (as we like to call it in the Navy for circuit cards like this) is a whole other ball game.

Roadburner440 said:
...I am ok at soldering large stuff, but the whole micro-miniature repair (as we like to call it in the Navy for circuit cards like this) is a whole other ball game.
Same with me! I recently replaced a broken plug on a set of earbuds and using my kludgy old soldering iron to solder wires the size of a thread to the replacement plug took me several tries and several hours to get it right (but I'm pleased to have the excellent old earbuds, which aren't made any more, back in action). The old Heathkit days were one thing, micro circuitry is something else. At least for me...

I'm pleased that Phil, and his crew with the right skills and tools, are available to do it for us.

EVerlasting said:
Nissan should patent Grabby Brake Technology. :lol:
On my 2015 LEAF S, I notice I can get the grabby brake problem if two things occur:

1. It's cool outside (e.g., below 50°F)
2. If I try to creep after a stop

My solution is to release the brake pedal completely then reapply it. This means you can't do close nose-to-tail creeping at a traffic light, but it works just fine. Maybe this trick will work for someone else too?

Back OT for this thread: The manual controls in the "S" model allow me to independently turn on/off A/C and heat during defrosting.

aarond12 said:
...Back OT for this thread: The manual controls in the "S" model allow me to independently turn on/off A/C and heat during defrosting.
Nissan fixed this defective design of the CC system, beginning with the 2013 models, after loud complaints from early-adopter LEAF owners. You have them to thank for that feature.

curious if anyone ever had this issue.

I've had my CC mod for two years and it worked perfectly since. Recently I noticed if I turn on my unit just for air no ac, it dropped GOM by 7-9 miles.

I know GOM is junk and I usually just gauge remaining power through leaf pro or even just looking at the bars not GOM.

But I don't remember it doing that before. Just caught me off guard, or was it always that way and I just never noticed it.

eglee413 said:

I've had my CC mod for two years and it worked perfectly since. Recently I noticed if I turn on my unit just for air no ac, it dropped GOM by 7-9 miles.

I know GOM is junk and I usually just gauge remaining power through leaf pro or even just looking at the bars not GOM.

But I don't remember it doing that before. Just caught me off guard, or was it always that way and I just never noticed it.
Yes, I see this. My take is that the GOM algorithm does not measure actual CC power usage but makes a canned estimate depending on whether the CC system is on or off (from some sort of look-up table, I would guess). The car doesn't know that your modified CC system isn't actually using any power, save for a trivial amount to run the fan. By contrast, the energy screen does show CC power usage but it appears that data isn't used by the GOM.

dgpcolorado said:
eglee413 said:

Yes, I see this. My take is that the GOM algorithm does not measure actual CC power usage but makes a canned estimate depending on whether the CC system is on or off (from some sort of look-up table, I would guess). The car doesn't know that your modified CC system isn't actually using any power, save for a trivial amount to run the fan. By contrast, the energy screen does show CC power usage but it appears that data isn't used by the GOM.
It is a little smarter than that. Cannot say whether it is a true measurement or algorithm, but it does report the CC power with a 0.25kW resolution for GOM computation. If only fan is on then the power has always been negligible for me. I would test to make sure the mod is still working (crank up the heat looking at the power display on the center console and then tap the AC button off). My CC mod failed a couple years ago but I don't think it's common.

TickTock said:
It is a little smarter than that. Cannot say whether it is a true measurement or algorithm, but it does report the CC power with a 0.25kW resolution for GOM computation. If only fan is on then the power has always been negligible for me. I would test to make sure the mod is still working (crank up the heat looking at the power display on the center console and then tap the AC button off). My CC mod failed a couple years ago but I don't think it's common.
It's winter here so I got a chance to test this a couple of hours ago. And, yes, the GOM and Nav system do indeed change range estimates based on whether my CC system is on or off, even though my mod had the heat off. Using the defrost setting changed the estimated miles by + or - three miles as I turned the CC on or off. And the energy screen showed my CC mod is working fine (no power used with the AC button off).

As you might expect, I use the CC mod every time I drive the LEAF this time of the year. Tracking snow into the car keeps the humidity up so defogging the windshield — just air, no heat — is nearly always needed unless the car has been sitting in the sun for awhile.

a while back, it was determined the power usage meter was only a representation of power used so the GOM would be as well. we should have learned LONG ago that the GOM is not based on "current" power used

DaveinOlyWA said:
a while back, it was determined the power usage meter was only a representation of power used so the GOM would be as well. we should have learned LONG ago that the GOM is not based on "current" power used
My recollection is that Ingineer said that both the motor power meter and the CC meter were actual power used but that the accessories meter was fake and based on which devices were on or off.

Not that those meters have anything to do with the GOM. I believe that GOM reading is extrapolated from recent mileage efficiency, SOC, and current power consumption, plus some other canned factors such as whether the CC is on or off. But how that algorithm really is structured, I haven't a clue.

dgpcolorado said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
My recollection is that Ingineer said that both the motor power meter and the CC meter were actual power used but that the accessories meter was fake and based on which devices were on or off.

Not that those meters have anything to do with the GOM. I believe that GOM reading is extrapolated from recent mileage efficiency, SOC, and current power consumption, plus some other canned factors such as whether the CC is on or off. But how that algorithm really is structured, I haven't a clue.

that may have been it and since I don't have either now, my memory is faded but there is a delay reporting power usage on CC that is not present in the motor gauge. This tells me that something is amiss especially when the power meter shows CC power used which affects GOM when it is not the case

dgpcolorado said:
eglee413 said:

With the modified CC device in place and the heat off the GOM will initially claim a range loss as if the heat was on but after some time it starts to correct itself and reports 0 miles difference. At least that is what happens in my car.

I thought this thread would be a good place to ask this question.

Short history: I have been conversing with this company via email since early January 2015, trying to purchase a climate control upgrade (upgrade link discontinued from the web site; yes I was late to the game). I was advised that a few of these would probably become available once inventory was performed in Spring 2015. After nearly 7 months of communication, my purchase request was officially declined today, in deference to other priorities (and existing stock units may be disposed of without modification). This is understandable, but rather disappointing.

I'd still like to untangle the heater controls with a mod, so:

Is there another resource for purchasing a modified cc unit? If so, I'd appreciate a referral.

OR - is there anyone with a 2011 or 2012 LEAF with a modified cc unit planning to sell the car who might consider swapping/selling their modified cc unit to me? I'm looking for a well-functioning unit without any problems for my 2012 SL (23K miles/low usage). Please send me a PM.

Also, I understand this issue was fixed in the 2013 and newer model units. If true, are the newer units compatible with the 2012? Just curious (I'd venture to guess that replacement option would be cost-prohibitive), but I thought I'd pick your brains anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

My understanding that it doesn't actually measure the power but, rather, uses a lookup table of values like it does for lights and other things...

TickTock said:

Back