Climate Control Solution - Gain Control of your Heater!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kieranmullen said:
So I am a newbie with a 2012 model. Is this no longer an issue that requires an item to be purchased? I see that it is no longer for sale?
It's no longer an issue on 2013+ model years as a dedicated heater on/off button was added w/that model year.

You should probably indicate somewhere in your sig that you have a '12 or a used '12...

And, if you plan to ask any location dependent questions, esp. ones that involve range, winter driving, or battery degradation, it'd be best to add your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

Ne sleuthing was required. I just posted it.

cwerdna said:
kieranmullen said:
So I am a newbie with a 2012 model. Is this no longer an issue that requires an item to be purchased? I see that it is no longer for sale?
It's no longer an issue on 2013+ model years as a dedicated heater on/off button was added w/that model year.

You should probably indicate somewhere in your sig that you have a '12 or a used '12...

And, if you plan to ask any location dependent questions, esp. ones that involve range, winter driving, or battery degradation, it'd be best to add your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

kieranmullen said:
Ne sleuthing was required. I just posted it.
Yes, I understand but I'm referring to other questions you may ask in the future or other discussions you may participate in.

There were many nice improvements and changes beginning w/the '13 model year, esp. SV and SL trims. See http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, http://sfbayleafs.org/commentary/2013/09/2013-vs-2011-nissan-leaf-whats-new-whats-gone-whats-changed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://articles.sae.org/11993/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, for example.

Many will incorrectly assume you have a '13...

Hope you didn't pick up the salvage title Leaf for the price you mentioned in an earlier post...

kieranmullen said:

I'd like to know about this as well. I'm a 2011 owner who just moved from TX to PA. In the past, the heater was not a big issue for me because I lived in an area where it didn't get very cold, so I rarely used it. But now, after moving to PA, I feel I need the ability to really control my heater. Can anyone tell me if this climate control mod is still available somewhere?

I suggest that you contact EVSE Upgrade to see if they have any modified Climate Control units for 2011/2012 LEAFs left. The info is in the first post of this thread:

Contact form

I have this modified CC controller in my car and it makes a big difference to be able to turn the heater off and on as needed and still be able to use fan to blow air when I want, especially to defog the windshield when heat is often not needed to get the job done. [As you are aware, Nissan fixed this on the 2013 and later models with a dedicated heater-off button.]

I hope he would be willing to do it even if it meant mailing my unit in and waiting. I didn't expect to keep my car when the lease was up, but with the offer NMAC put on the table I might be buying it. This will be one of the things at the top of my list as it is the second most annoying thing about the car other than constantly pressing "OK."

Roadburner440 said:
...This will be one of the things at the top of my list as it is the second most annoying thing about the car other than constantly pressing "OK."
I agree.
I keep planning to contact them too.
Really annoying on a bright sunny cool day that you have to leave the window open because you can't get ventilation without the heater running.
Annoying that Nissan was unwilling to fix this on the 2011 and 2012 LEAFs.

Now that Nissan has sold us on driving electric, the kind of thing we won't forget when we need to buy a replacement :shock:

TimLee said:
Roadburner440 said:
...This will be one of the things at the top of my list as it is the second most annoying thing about the car other than constantly pressing "OK."
I agree.
I keep planning to contact them too.
Really annoying on a bright sunny cool day that you have to leave the window open because you can't get ventilation without the heater running.
Annoying that Nissan was unwilling to fix this on the 2011 and 2012 LEAFs.

Now that Nissan has sold us on driving electric, the kind of thing we won't forget when we need to buy a replacement :shock:

To be fair, they did eventually make these and other more significant improvements and I was pleasantly surprised to get them in a car that was significantly less expensive than our 2012. The arc of the Nissan universe is long, but it bends towards justice. :p

TO be fair the automobile has been around one hundred years and have had climate controls for the last 20 at least.
This is a pretty basic function to screw up on.

Nubo said:
To be fair, they did eventually make these and other more significant improvements and I was pleasantly surprised to get them in a car that was significantly less expensive than our 2012. The arc of the Nissan universe is long, but it bends towards justice. :p

Nubo said:

Oh I know. I have driven a 14' earlier this year trying to debate what to do. The thing is I can buy MY current car that I have taken decent care of and own it outright for $12,000ish.. Knowing that I can upgrade to the '15 battery as well and that makes keeping my car more attractive. I just want to fix the climate control, and the steering wheel heater shutting off and I will be a happy man.

kieranmullen said:
TO be fair the automobile has been around one hundred years and have had climate controls for the last 20 at least.
This is a pretty basic function to screw up on.

Nubo said:

to be fair??

what is "fair" about your statement? the fact a gasser is primarily a heater and only provides transportation as its 2nd best ability?

hardly takes a brain surgeon to figure out to get heat from a blast furnace...

Nissan could have fixed the darn ventilation bug when they did the P3227 software update which required a visit to the dealer. They must have read about how members here were trying to fix that problem on their own without any help from Nissan.

Perhaps they could have fixed it with software itself, or changing the climate control's board, or rewiring or a combination of all. Those who were in charge of Nissan's EV division (and fortunately they are not any more like Andy Palmer), cared less of 2011-2012 LEAF's bugs. They just corrected the 2013+ models and ignored the early adopters.

I doubt that CEO Carlos Ghosn even knows about this problem with 2011-2012 LEAFs. Otherwise he would have replaced Andy Palmer a long time ago and called for a recall to specifically address this issue. There weren't so many LEAF on the roads (compared to ICE models) in 2011-2013 so the recall cost would have been relatively cheap.

EVerlasting said:
Nissan could have fixed the darn ventilation bug when they did the P1772 software update which required a visit to the dealer. They must have read about how members here were trying to fix that problem on their own without any help from Nissan.

Perhaps they could have fixed it with software itself, or changing the climate control's board, or rewiring or a combination of all. Those who were in charge of Nissan's EV division (and fortunately they are not any more like Andy Palmer), cared less of 2011-2012 LEAF's bugs. They just corrected the 2013+ models and ignored the early adopters.

I doubt that CEO Carlos Ghosn even knows about this problem with 2011-2012 LEAFs. Otherwise he would have replaced Andy Palmer a long time ago and called for a recall to specifically address this issue. There weren't so many LEAF on the roads (compared to ICE models) in 2011-2013 so the recall cost would have been relatively cheap.
Recalls are generally for safety defects and non-compliance with FMVSS. Climate control issues are neither of those.

Some examples of what would and wouldn't meet the criteria of safety-related defects at http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects/Motor+Vehicle+Safety+Defects+and+Recalls+Campaigns?renderPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

cwerdna said:
EVerlasting said:
Nissan could have fixed the darn ventilation bug when they did the P1772 software update which required a visit to the dealer. They must have read about how members here were trying to fix that problem on their own without any help from Nissan.

Recalls are generally for safety defects and non-compliance with FMVSS. Climate control issues are neither of those.

Some examples of what would and wouldn't meet the criteria of safety-related defects at http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects/Motor+Vehicle+Safety+Defects+and+Recalls+Campaigns?renderPage=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
I know that, that is why I said "Nissan could have fixed the darn ventilation bug when they did the P1772 software update which required a visit to the dealer". When I wrote "recall" I meant fixing it during the software update visit.

EVerlasting said:
Nissan could have fixed the darn ventilation bug when they did the P3227 software update which required a visit to the dealer.
But they couldn't even get that right and messed up regeneration for everyone that had it done and have yet to fix it :!:
The fix Ingineer did is a wiring change.
Not sure it would be very easy to reprogram the Clarion touch screen to add a touch screen heater off button.
Might not even be feasible.

A realistic fix of the heater control was more likely something like Ingineer did.
Nissan just wasn't willing to spend the $ to fix that defect in the 2011 and 2012 LEAF.

And they have yet to fix the grabby brakes issue.
ALL the LEAFs eventually get it.
Nissan apparently doesn't know how to fix that :cry:

TimLee said:
A realistic fix of the heater control was more likely something like Ingineer did.
Nissan just wasn't willing to spend the $ to fix that defect in the 2011 and 2012 LEAF.
The heater quirk really a "defect"? Yes, it sucks, but I can see why a company isn't too interested in making significant changes to something that isn't bringing in revenue anymore. 2011 and 2012 Leafs stopped being manufactured and sold when the '13s began.

The is the same issue that afflicted Windows Mobile (pre-Windows Phone 7) and still afflicts Android phones. Most of the phone OEMs aren't too interested all the overhead (e.g. adapting updated OS versions, fixing their own bugs, doing the testing, getting the updates approved w/carriers, etc.) for something that isn't generating revenue. They'd rather work on something that is or that will (future products/versions).
TimLee said:
I'm not sure what you're talking about. There was already at least NTB12-086a for '11 and '12 Leafs: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=240150#p240150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

For '13s made before a certain date, there was NTB14-047. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=397940#p397940" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It completely resolved the rather random grabbiness I used to have on my '13 SV.

cwerdna said:
TimLee said:
I'm not sure what you're talking about. There was already at least NTB12-086a for '11 and '12 Leafs: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=240150#p240150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

For '13s made before a certain date, there was NTB14-047. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=397940#p397940" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It completely resolved the rather random grabbiness I used to have on my '13 SV.
Most people with 2011 and 2012 do not report any long term correction of grabby brakes.
Similarly with 2013 forward.
If yours was permanently resolved on a 2013 you were in a very lucky minority.

My brakes only get grabby after I have been in stop/go base gate traffic for over an hour (good ole Naval Station Norfolk)... To get the thread back on track though I emailed EVSE upgrade through the contact us page, and they are still doing the mod for us 11 & 12 people. In fact a guy named Mike who emailed me back said he added me to a list, and that pricing is TBD. Also that there is no longer an exchange either. So just use the contact us link in the very first post from Engineer, and they should get back with you.

Back