Chevrolet Spark EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I know there is no sport button in Spark. That would be in FEV. There is only D as in drive and 2 as in Eco.

The acceleration is to be on par with some big name sports car. Please look it up. I read about it somewhere and I am too much not interested to know which Maserati or Lamborghini it was at this time.

Yes, the car cooks when you step on it. I wasn't particularly focusing on that and I had 2 adults with me weighing the car down. All I know is that it was plenty responsive. Tight steering as well, unlike the Leaf. For some reason I was thinking of Mini Cooper when I drove it. Zippy and fun.

I was focusing on how noisy (or not) it was, and watching what happens shifting between D and 2 positions. There wasn't really any, only when I let go of the accelerator. I did that a few times with both positions. It was markedly different, with the 2 slowing the car down at any speed quite considerably. It didn't seem to be a problem. It's a matter of learning how to drive it in 2 mode with not having to touch the brakes.

Also I noticed strange shaped side mirrors - triangular. Between trying to make it safe back to the dealership and all the talking that was going on I mostly had to rely on absorbing the gestalt of the experience and could not focus on way too many details details. You might say I drove it unprepared since it didn't expect it to be an exclusive experience. It may well have been, at last for the next 2 weeks as I'm now finding out.

One minor thing that bugs me is that all Jap cars I'm used to have cruise control on the right while GM has it on the left at 8 o'clock. Leaf's is no big winner in that regard either. My favorite spot for it is 4 o'clock like my Acccord 92.

You get a readout of actual psi in all 4 tires individually. Nice perk. I saw 4 33's on one of the screens. That would be going up to 38 psi as soon as I bring it home.

Just count on that fact it's a 2 adult car. Only 5-footers or less in the back. No middle seat. It's taken by cup holders and for a good reason.

Put in my call to Doug, Novato Chevy for 1 LT Summit White. Hopefully in 2 weeks. For a compliance car GM outdid itself. Honda FEV seem a bit sloppier than Spark, which is much crispier. Plus 10 air bags. It may prove to be a, shall we say, success!

Bottomline. You get 80+ freeway miles that could be hypermiled to well over 100, in a TMS EV that is cheaper than Leaf. I could not lease another Leaf knowing this. Along with the 2013 power module problems that had cropped up. Nissan needs to up its game to stay in it. And as always, people vote with their feet. In this case it just may prove to be the GM showrooms.

I now have a Spark EV to put through its paces on the world famous San Diego Range Test loop.

100km/h ground speed
No climate control
Tires at recommended psi
Two adults totaling about 200kg / 440 pounds

Will it beat a LEAF?

The course is an 85.8 mile (138 km) loop as measured on Google Maps, starting and ending at the same Blink charging station at 13520 Evening Creek Drive North, San Diego, California.

For the Spark test, I may start and stop on a more level portion of the course, plus I have to trailer the car in.

TonyWilliams said:
I now have a Spark EV to put through its paces on the world famous San Diego Range Test loop.

100km/h ground speed
No climate control
Tires at recommended psi
Two adults totaling about 200kg / 440 pounds

Will it beat a Leaf
I say yes. Just because it new tech (or at least the drive train is...). Wish these were in Texas. I would like to try one out.

ILETRIC said:
The acceleration is to be on par with some big name sports car. Please look it up. I read about it somewhere and I am too much not interested to know which Maserati or Lamborghini it was at this time.
LOL - looks like GM's marketing is working! The acceleration is not even close to a any big name sports cars.

TonyWilliams said:
Cool, where'd you get it?

TonyWilliams said:
For the Spark test, I may start and stop on a more level portion of the course, plus I have to trailer the car in.
The stretch of I5 from Sports Arena to Pacific Beach is the flattest part of the course that I'm aware of...

drees said:
ILETRIC said:
LOL - looks like GM's marketing is working! The acceleration is not even close to a any big name sports cars.

It's sad how easy it is for marketing to fool people. Nissan is probably the easiest one for us to point at, with numerous hints at fantastic range improvements, with people lapping it up like a fudge sundae, only to find out the reality is something quite different.

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
Cool, where'd you get it?

A brand new Spark EV owner has volunteered his steed for the afternoon.

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
The stretch of I5 from Sports Arena to Pacific Beach is the flattest part of the course that I'm aware of...

LEAF2013rangeTestSanDiego858mileLoop.jpg

The elevation profile of the route:

LEAF2013rangeTestSanDiegoElevationProfile.jpg

TonyWilliams said:
The bad news for Frankenplug proponents like yourself is this, and it's growing EVERY day.

DCchargersJuly2013.jpg

The Tesla superchargers show up on this map, and may mislead. For example, there are zero ChaDeMo chargers in Central california. The three chargers that show up on the above map are all Tesla SCs. From what I can tell, nearly every ChaDeMo charger in California is installed at a Nissan Dealership, with the associated problems that entails.

ILETRIC said:
Bottomline. You get 80+ freeway miles that could be hypermiled to well over 100, in a TMS EV that is cheaper than Leaf. I could not lease another Leaf knowing this. Along with the 2013 power module problems that had cropped up. Nissan needs to up its game to stay in it. And as always, people vote with their feet. In this case it just may prove to be the GM showrooms.
Thanks for the review. The Spark EV isn't available in my neck of the woods but I did rent a Spark ICE in the bay area for two weeks earlier this year. My kids couldn't sit in the back due to the headrests sticking forward. Not sure why companies are doing that now. I also found the ride very bouncy on the highway and got blown around by winds and trucks. Is the EV version more stable feeling on the highway?
Regarding the Leaf, I leased a 2013 SV + QC/LED for $205/mo w $205 at signing. That works out cheaper than the Spark at $199 + $999 at signing for a better equipped car as well.
I haven't had a problem with the power module, or any problems for that matter so far (knock on wood).
I would think in Marin county you wouldn't have to worry at all about having a TMS. Have you experienced any capacity loss?

Good luck w the Spark. Good to see more cars showing up especially w TMS. Will be interesting to see if GM ever expands nationwide w this car.

fengshui said:
The Tesla superchargers show up on this map, and may mislead. For example, there are zero ChaDeMo chargers in Central california. The three chargers that show up on the above map are all Tesla SCs. From what I can tell, nearly every ChaDeMo charger in California is installed at a Nissan Dealership, with the associated problems that entails.

Yes, the dozen or so Tesla Supercharger locations are also in this map, in addition to the 300-ish CHAdeMO ones.

No, they are all at Nissan dealers. Actually, quite the opposite, however the ones that NISSAN is installing are virtually all at Nissan dealers.

AeroVironment, Ecotality (Blink), 350 Green, and a bunch of others (including EVoasis) have installed CHAdeMO every EXCEPT car dealers (exception, there are some Blinks at Toyota dealers, who don't have a CHAdeMO car!!!).

Ah! The Maserati button. No, I didn't notice it at all. And the dealer of course knew zilch about the car. Good to know it's there.

So that's why I did not experience those 2 g's takeoffs :mrgreen:

I'd be curious to see what would that number 10 be if I'd driven in Sport mode. Thanks for bringing it up.

dm33, I'm glad to hear you have no problems with the power module. If everybody did it would be a disaster.

We have 40,000 miles on our Leaf after 25 months of ownership. Lost the first RB at 38,700 2 months ago. Wife already noticed decreased range before that and refuses to take the car to SFO which is 60 miles round trip throgh some major hills (Sausalito). I believe I'm at about 65 freeway range at this time which puts me in iMiev range. That is very disappointing. But I do love the fact we're driving electric. No matter what. The range loss now limits our Leaf's usefulness. We are not charge-savvy, charge only at home. So now Leaf is relegated to Marin County only. I'm starting to refer to it as my Costco car. That is not a nice moniker. Tough. Nissan fooled us, calling it a 100-mile car when we bought it. We all know what happened to that. I am waiting for 3rd party batteries with hopefully double density. Envia anyone? Lithium sulfur? I'll take it.

This is why I look forward to the Spark. It's for my college kid that will be commuting 40 miles r/t, so most likely he gets the Leaf and wife will get the Spark on most days. I already told her it's SFO car.

Personally, I'm waiting for Tesla 30,000 dollar, 200-mile car in 2016. And then we go solar (Dow Powerhouse Shingles).

I haven't been following this thread too closely so sorry if this is all old-hat....

But, I ran across this today. Looked like GM had trucked in a bunch of Sparks and Volts and was conducting some kind of regional training at a local hotel. Included in the lot was this "stripped down version"...

Attachments

• SP01.jpg
    SP01.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 128
  • SP02.jpg
    SP02.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 128
  • SP04.jpg
    SP04.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 128
A few more.... Cute little car.

Attachments

• SP06.jpg
    SP06.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 126
  • SP08.jpg
    SP08.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 126
  • SP09.jpg
    SP09.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 126
Nubo said:
But, I ran across this today. Looked like GM had trucked in a bunch of Sparks and Volts and was conducting some kind of regional training at a local hotel. Included in the lot was this "stripped down version"...

This looks like the car displayed at the last LA Auto Show, if not others as well.

Engadget has a pretty good review up: http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/26/spark-ev-test-drive/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wish these were in Texas, I would like to test drive one.

ILETRIC said:
...We have 40,000 miles on our Leaf after 25 months of ownership. Lost the first RB at 38,700 2 months ago. Wife already noticed decreased range before that and refuses to take the car to SFO which is 60 miles round trip throgh some major hills (Sausalito). I believe I'm at about 65 freeway range at this time which puts me in iMiev range. That is very disappointing. But I do love the fact we're driving electric. No matter what. The range loss now limits our Leaf's usefulness. We are not charge-savvy, charge only at home. So now Leaf is relegated to Marin County only. I'm starting to refer to it as my Costco car. That is not a nice moniker. Tough. Nissan fooled us, calling it a 100-mile car when we bought it. We all know what happened to that. I am waiting for 3rd party batteries with hopefully double density. Envia anyone? Lithium sulfur? I'll take it.

This is why I look forward to the Spark. It's for my college kid that will be commuting 40 miles r/t, so most likely he gets the Leaf and wife will get the Spark on most days. I already told her it's SFO car.

Personally, I'm waiting for Tesla 30,000 dollar, 200-mile car in 2016. And then we go solar (Dow Powerhouse Shingles).
Weren't you the one who said you were going to keep your battery at 100% as much as possible because you thought that would be good for it?
ILETRIC said:
Why are you worrying about the battery? What's with this wimpy 80% nonsense? It's made to take the 100% charge, it's guaranteed for 8 years/100,000 and bottomline? You'll be replacing it anyway in about 5 years not because it's dead, but because by then the Toyota 1000 km battery -- or a similar breakthrough product -- will be out and available for purchase for 2-4 grand. I'd to it today if it was available. There are billions fed into the batt research as we speak. This first gen battery is going to be history before you know it.

I pump that sucker with electrones whenever I have a chance, so it's always 100%. Period. Leaf needs more kilowatts -- badly. I'm at 9000 miles and have been in turtle mode twice. No fun there. You sweat it.

Charge 'er up! Run the heater as you please.
ILETRIC said:
Was it Dale Carnegie who said: stop worrying and start living? And he was a successful man. 100% all the way, folks.

Hey, maybe that battery does have a bit of a memory issue after all. Use it or lose it applies. Just food for thought...
And so forth. If you actually did keep the car at 100% a lot it might have reduced the battery capacity more quickly.

Intelligence is the abilty to adapt. I've spent my life busily doing that. On daily basis.

In case of Leaf it's balancing meekness for the sake of retaining one RB, against full-on use. Ultimately it's only a car. The larger picture is that whether Leaf does 73 or 65 miles is not grossly significant. I just charge a bit extra. What is, however, is that I get to have some fun driving it faster and farther on 100% charge, while those who pamper that piece of metal and still have 12 RBs at 38,700 miles, won't... Why? Because they worry. I don't.

I worry more about another bout of full-blown sciatica requiring another Celestone L4-5 epidural, than Leaf range. Speaking from experience.

Plus...I am adapting. My Spark will have more range, TMS and it will be leased, not purchased. Now that's intelligence.

To my points lately that the Spark-EV is being thought of in a more global context that just the USA context most are thinking about here.

in-south-korea-electric-vehicle-segment-is-starting-to-heat-up
http://insideevs.com/in-south-korea-electric-vehicle-segment-is-starting-to-heat-up/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back