Chevrolet Spark EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KJD said:
GRA said:
With that price, I'd say GM is serious.
If GM was serious about this car they would sell it in all 50 states. This is a compliance car only. Pure and simple.
How many LEAFs are sold in CA and OR? Nissan sells mostly ICE cars so I think your comments are not really honest or fair. Also previous in this thread are articles about it being sold outside of the USA.

evnow said:
Not sure why there is "so much" attention paid to Yet Another Tiny Compliance EV that most of us will never get to see.
Why wouldn't _you_ see it, since it will be sold in Oregon from the get go? If people have bought LEAFs and RAV4EVs and shipped them across the country, why couldn't you buy a Spark in Portland and drive it back to Seattle - it's only 173 miles? Granted, 3.3 kW charging enroute would be a pain in the absence of any CCS QCs, but you could certainly do the trip in a long day or an easy weekend.

That's assuming that GM doesn't expand their sales beyond the initial two states, which would seem unlikely. After all, sales in Oregon don't help GM with CARB credits, so if the Spark was intended purely as a compliance car why would they offer it in any state but California? Correct me if I'm wrong, but while Toyota with the RAV4 EV and Fiat with the 500e don't offer them for sale outside California for just that reason, even Honda offers the Fit EV beyond California, and it's more of a compliance car than the Spark is - you can buy the Spark, for a much lower price.

adric22 said:
GRA said:
Judging by the number I've seen around here since it went on sale (including one last night), the gas Spark is fairly popular in the Bay Area. When I checked last month it was outselling the Yaris for the year, IIRC. Oh, and you can get it in a nice green, too, like the one I saw last night:
That is the one problem I'm expecting... Who wants to drive around in a car that looks exactly like the $12,000 counterpart. The Leaf is at least more distinguished and people will know it is an EV when they see it. I believe the Focus EV suffers from the same issue.
I don't think that's the problem with the FFE, at least not for most people. It's the price combined with the dinky cargo space behind the rear seats, and for some, the lack of QC. Personally, I put the FFE at the top of my PEV looks list, ahead of the Tesla S, and for those who want to be flamboyant and let everyone know they're driving an EV they can always plaster it with decals, custom license plates and/or plate holders. I've only seen a single FFE for sure, and I only ID'ed it as such because it was charging. But, so what?

Edit: Actually, it appears from the GM website that the Spark EV won't be offering the green color on it, at least initially. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

dm33 said:
smkettner said:
I have already seen one in my area. Had no idea Spark was actually selling.
Looks to be everything I thought the Volt was going to be. :|
I rented the ICE version in the Bay Area for a couple of weeks. Fun cute car, but too small for other than a commuter. Tiny trunk. Very bouncy on highway and gets blown around too easily. In general, at a similar price, I would think the Leaf feels like a much more substantial car.

Will be interesting to see if this pricing could spark (pun intended) a price war. Big deal to get under 20k pricing. Could Nissan drop the base price on the Leaf any lower to edge under 20k after tax rebate?
Wel'll have to see if the extra weight of the Spark EV improves it's ride and directional stability as much as the 500e has been improved over the gas model.

scottf200 said:
How many LEAFs are sold in CA and OR? Nissan sells mostly ICE cars so I think your comments are not really honest or fair. Also previous in this thread are articles about it being sold outside of the USA.
Do you even know that Nissan sells more Leafs than any other model in the Seattle area ?

Sorry GM fans. Time to face the reality - Spark EV is a compliance car. The sales #s will reflect that.

GRA said:
evnow said:
Not sure why there is "so much" attention paid to Yet Another Tiny Compliance EV that most of us will never get to see.
Why wouldn't _you_ see it, since it will be sold in Oregon from the get go? If people have bought LEAFs and RAV4EVs and shipped them across the country, why couldn't you buy a Spark in Portland and drive it back to Seattle - it's only 173 miles? Granted, 3.3 kW charging enroute would be a pain in the absence of any CCS QCs, but you could certainly do the trip in a long day or an easy weekend.
You don't get many long days or easy weekends with a one year old ;-)

There is zero reason why I would even consider spark EV over Leaf. It is difficult enough to install child seats in compact cars, I guess in a Spark it is impossible. Even if my wife would consider buying a GM car (she wouldn't).

That's assuming that GM doesn't expand their sales beyond the initial two states, which would seem unlikely. After all, sales in Oregon don't help GM with CARB credits, so if the Spark was intended purely as a compliance car why would they offer it in any state but California? Correct me if I'm wrong, but while Toyota with the RAV4 EV and Fiat with the 500e don't offer them for sale outside California for just that reason, even Honda offers the Fit EV beyond California, and it's more of a compliance car than the Spark is - you can buy the Spark, for a much lower price.
It is not clear why GM alone is selling in OR - but from my understanding OR also has rules about selling minimum number of ZEVs in the state, just like CARB.

GRA said:
Judging by the number I've seen around here since it went on sale (including one last night), the gas Spark is fairly popular in the Bay Area. When I checked last month it was outselling the Yaris for the year, IIRC.
I don't think I've seen a single ICEV Spark in the Bay Area. GM cars (non-"light trucks") aren't real popular in CA.

evnow said:
...There is zero reason why I would even consider spark EV over Leaf...
You are correct that size works against the Spark/EV. Less than 5% of US car buyers will consider a B-segment / Supermini / sub-compact. It will succeed on the driving experience. If the Spark EV, like the Fiat 500e turns out to be fun to drive, it will create it’s own market. Who in the world likes small cars /EVs less than Top Gear.

That's enough of the technical stuff, what's it like to drive?

Excellent. Other than the Abarth models, this has to be the pick of the 500 pack. It might weigh 600lb more than a standard petrol 500, but FIAT has distributed the weight so well, you don't notice it much. The 500e is now 57:43 front/rear instead of the petrol cars' 64:36, and it feels like it. Combined with the 200Nm available from 0 (zero) revs and no gears to bother with, this is one of the all-time best city cars ever made.

Really? It's that good?

Yep. There's just nothing to worry about other than having fun.

Waiting for the test drives.

scottf200 said:
KJD said:
GRA said:
With that price, I'd say GM is serious.
If GM was serious about this car they would sell it in all 50 states. This is a compliance car only. Pure and simple.
Actually scott I hope Chevy sells a bunch of these EV's. It will motivate Nissan to release the Gen 2 LEAF that much sooner. The more EV's on the road the better. If Chevy really wanted to prove how good this car is, they would send the first shipment to Phoenix AZ. I want to see how the Spark holds up ( or not ) in the 120 degree heat.

From Car&Driver; Spark Me Up: 2014 Chevy Spark EV Starts at $27,495

A DC fast-charge option that promises an 80-percent charge in 20 minutes will be available later this year for $750. GM says owners can use the fast-charge option several times a day without degrading the 21-kWh lithium-ion battery, except there are very few public stations that use the Spark’s new SAE combo plug.

Official media gm site.

Chevrolet Spark EV - 2014
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/spark-ev/2014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vehicle Highlights
- 0-60 mph in 7.6 seconds (!!!)
- Goes on sale in summer 2013 in California and Oregon, later in Canada, Europe and South Korea
- Technologies including:
... MyLink radio with seven-inch color touch-screen display,
... BringGo in-dash navigation (requires app purchase), [app provides full-function, in-dash navigation via MyLink, as well as live traffic updates, for less than $60.]
... Pandora,
... Stitcher and
... TuneIn global radio, Bluetooth, and
... iPhone functionality with Siri Personal Assistant

Spark 1LT includes what you'd expect including cruise control

Spark 2LT includes 1LT standard content plus heated leatherette driver and front passenger seats, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel.

Available on both models is the SAE combo charger for DC fast charging. ($750 - nice find KeiJidosha)

OnStar services unique to Spark-EV include:
Way Point Navigation – Lets Spark-EV owners plan trips using OnStar’s Turn by Turn Navigation, which finds charging stations along the way and recommends when to charge based on how long it takes to reach the desired destination.

It looks like they may have done a decent job but selling an EV that looks exactly like the same econobox gas version but costs twice as much may be problematic...

scottf200 said:
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/spark-ev/2014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
It looks like they may have done a decent job but selling an EV that looks exactly like the same econobox gas version but costs twice as much may be problematic...
~$5,300 difference in the CA perhaps?!? http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?48538-Superb-Value-and-Performance&p=640985#post640985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:

scottf200 said:
Spark EV will have to be fun to drive to get buyers into the showroom. Then Sales will have to earn its keep by making the cost-of-ownership value proposition. A back to back drive comparison between $17,495 post incentive, 130 Hp, 400 lb-ft torque, 7.5 second 0-60 Spark EV, and the $16,820 84 Hp, 83 lb-ft torque, 11.5 second 0-60 No-shift 2LT ICE version Spark should close the deal.

What is the long term intention here? Is this a compliance car? Initially available only in California and Oregon. Will that expand or is that the whole deal? I don't see it selling very well. However, there are more Chevy dealers than any other brand in the US and this is their second plug-in, so if they went national, maybe it would do better than I assume.

evnow said:

Well, for GM, it accomplishes two things; CARB compliance and doing their best to thwart Nissan at virtually no cost to GM with the Frankenplug.

Just the fact that this Frankenplug car is available and there are two manufacturers building the Frankenplug charger, NRG/EVgo will install 200 Frankenplug chargers in addition to the 200 CHAdeMO in California in 4 years.

But, there's a twist. GM has to make the state of California believe that this is NOT a compliance car to enact the Frankenplug clause. I can't wait to see how they do that!!! I suspect the Oregon angle is part of that scam.

cwerdna said:
smkettner said:
I have already seen one in my area. Had no idea Spark was actually selling.
Looks to be everything I thought the Volt was going to be. :|
You probably saw the ICEV version. The OP's linked press release says "The Spark EV will be available at select Chevrolet dealers throughout California and Oregon beginning mid-June 2013."

I made the same mistake. I'd heard about the Spark and thought it must be EV only due to its cute electrical name, like the Volt. Then I saw one next to an EV charger parking spot in Redwood City. Good thing the owner didn't show up then, as I would asked how he/she liked driving electric. Later I learned that only ICE Sparks are available now.

KeiJidosha said:
... back to back drive comparison between $17,495 post incentive, 130 Hp, 400 lb-ft torque, 7.5 second 0-60 Spark EV, and the $16,820 84 Hp, 83 lb-ft torque, 11.5 second 0-60 No-shift 2LT ICE version Spark should close the deal.

Folks in the market for low price new cars might not be eligible for the $7500 federal tax credit (they don't pay that much in taxes), so that the cost to a high school / college student who has a part time job might be far greater in net cost. Greater cost, short range and long refuel time, and no practical quick charge option is going to trump sporty performance more times than not.

But, if they absolutely will pay the money for one of the lowest price EV's out there, this will do ok. The competition right now is Smart ED, Mitsubishi iMiev, Nissan LEAF-S and Fiat 500e.

evnow said:
Why? There can only be ONE thread for the Spark? Seems kinda crazy.

I'm sure there are many that have given up on this gigantic thread after seeing the BS, arguments + FUD being distributed. When there are new facts - vs. the speculation that ran wild in this thread - they should be broken out in a new thread that people can easily find.

I looked at a gasoline spark in a parking lot yesterday. It just looks like an econobox. I also HATE, with a passion, the instrument cluster design. Now granted, for the EV version they put the same display the Volt uses as the instrument cluster but it is still positioned on the steering column to look like some sort of aftermarket add-on. I really, really hate that design. Mini Cooper and Smart car do something similar. I just can't stand it.

Back