Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
The Bolt is a expensive, heavy, small, tall, hatchback, with limited range, dependent on public charging sites which GM itself has done nothing to promote.

Every car has limited range. The Bolt has more range than most EVs sold today. For commuting and similar purposes, public charging sites are not needed.

edatoakrun said:
Unless Gas goes back up to ~$4 a gallon,

Oh, it will never do that. Never. NEVER. :roll:

edatoakrun said:
at sold for ~half the Bolt's (pre-incentive) price:

Not including the tank car of gasoline needed, of course.

WetEV said:
edatoakrun said:
The Bolt is a expensive, heavy, small, tall, hatchback, with limited range, dependent on public charging sites which GM itself has done nothing to promote.
...For commuting and similar purposes, public charging sites are not needed...
Nor are public charge sites needed by my 2011 LEAF, for commuting and similar purposes.

You can buy a LEAF just like mine, for ~$7,500, and avoid the extremely high total ownership costs of the Bolt.

The question is, do you want to spend ~three times as much per every mile driven, for a BEV with ~three times the range, when the extra range is not required for most all of your driving, for commuting and similar purposes?

edatoakrun said:
You can buy a LEAF just like mine, for ~$7,500, and avoid the extremely high total ownership costs of the Bolt.

Depends on your commute. My last boss had a 90 mile round trip commute. A Bolt would handle that most of the time without destination charging. A Leaf just like yours?

edatoakrun said:

The question is, do you want to spend ~three times as much per every mile driven, for a BEV with ~three times the range, when the extra range is not required for most all of your driving, for commuting and similar purposes?
Ed, this may surprise you, but not everyone has the same commuting and short to mid range driving needs as you.

DaveinOlyWA said:
It is amazing to me that any EV driver driving an EV of any range can state that public charging is not needed

I've gone months without using public charging. If there was none, I'd still have most trips I currently take in the EV available. Like most people, most of my driving is fairly local.

DaveinOlyWA said:
It is amazing to me that any EV driver driving an EV of any range can state that public charging is not needed

It's called most people don't drive beyond the range of their BEV on a daily basis so why would they need public charging?

If you do then A BEV obviously isn't the right vehicle for you!

WetEV said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I've gone months without using public charging.
The only public charging I use is free public charging, because I can. Most of the time I don't really need it.

Most of my charging is done at work, where we get free charging. The rest is w/occasional L1 at home and occasional free public charging.

WetEV said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I've gone months without using public charging. If there was none, I'd still have most trips I currently take in the EV available. Like most people, most of my driving is fairly local.

I've gone weeks (would be years if not for the WA EV Infrastructure Conference) without riding the bus, so lets get rid of those instead!

DaveinOlyWA said:
I've gone weeks (would be years if not for the WA EV Infrastructure Conference) without riding the bus, so lets get rid of those instead!

I'm not saying to get rid of public charging. That wouldn't be wise. I don't ride the bus much anymore, but I support the bus system. Getting rid of buses wouldn't be wise.

Public charging needs to evolve. As the range of EVs increases and other changes, the ideal number and locations of charging stations will change.

The Bolt will likely be the first 200 mile affordable EV. The Bolt will change things.

rcm4453 said:
It's called most people don't drive beyond the range of their BEV on a daily basis so why would they need public charging?

While I agree, for the most part, with your first statement, I would modify your second to something like "If you do, then a non-Tesla BEV obviously isn't the right vehicle for you!"

My sense is that as longer range EVs become the norm, public L2 charging will become less necessary and fast charging, of some sort, will take over the public charging space.

dgpcolorado said:
rcm4453 said:

While I agree, for the most part, with your first statement, I would modify your second to something like "If you do, then a non-Tesla BEV obviously isn't the right vehicle for you!"

My sense is that as longer range EVs become the norm, public L2 charging will become less necessary and fast charging, of some sort, will take over the public charging space.

Except for all the used degrading low range cars. They're likely to want station access.

dgpcolorado said:
One target group for EVs should be younger people living in apartments - these are the people most open to change. They need ways to charge - including apartment charging, charging at work and other public places to charge. These would be L2.

One target group for EVs should be younger people living in apartments - these are the people most open to change. They need ways to charge - including apartment charging, charging at work and other public places to charge. These would be L2.

There is an energy-neutral (solar panels offset site use) apartment complex about 40 minutes from me that is again offering apartments as they complete the second phase of building. They are basically offering to install a new Clipper Creek L-2 station (amperage ranging from 16 to 30) in a parking space for you if you request it. I'll be looking at the place on Saturday. Here's a link, if anyone is interested:

http://www.netzerovillage.com/

Yes - a number of new apartments have EVSEs installed here as well. In CA it is now the law - all new complexes need to have charging enabled.

But that doesn't still address >99% of apartment dwellers or old homes in the city with no garages.

evnow said:
dgpcolorado said:
Even in that case DCFC would be more practical than L2. I don't mean to suggest that L2 charging at home or work will become less important, just public L2 charging at other places. For apartments and condos that don't have charging, perhaps pay lots or garages nearby could handle those cars. But even there, DCFC might dominate, as is the case with Hong Kong and Supercharger Stations. If it only takes fifteen to twenty minutes to get enough charge to handle daily driving, the wait isn't particularly onerous.

Back