Chattanooga Murphy Express Eaton DCQC Removed!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THREE 2011 LEAF SL AVAILABLE IN CHATTANOOGA

I just received an email from Hunt Nissan in Chattanooga, stating they have THREE LEAFs in stock, available for purchase.

Colors are red, black, and white.

Contact: Roman York, Sales Manager at 423-899-2525 or view online inventory at http://www.huntnissan.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve

Tried the Level 3 on Friday and the Leaf would not charge.
The Level 3 charger was working at the dedication, and it worked for my co-worker 3 weeks back.
I'll try it again another time, and if doesn't work, either the Level 3 has a problem, or the Leaf has a problem.

TimLee said:
The Level 3 charger was working at the dedication, and it worked for my co-worker 3 weeks back.
I'll try it again another time, and if doesn't work, either the Level 3 has a problem, or the Leaf has a problem.
:( Sorry to hear it is already on the fritz, perhaps. If people can't count on them when they are coming from a distance, it sort of defeats the purpose. Thanks for keeping tabs!

Tim:

Same thing happened to me when I first tried the Murphy Express Level 3 a few weeks ago. I went inside the store, and a very helpful clerk told me that a sales guy from Hunt Nissan had just used it the day before, with no problems. She offered to come outside and help. First, make sure the locking handle on the end of the cord (that's as thick as a baby elephant's trunk) is in the "down position." But what the lady really did to get the unit working on the first try, was to hold the "start" button in for about five seconds. I guess it is just like most computers--you have to hold that button in order to get things moving. With all the time I wasted, and I needed to get to an appointment, I only charged for about 15 minutes. I was expecting more than a two-bar charge in that time, but that was all I got. I'll try again next time I'm out on Lee Highway. By the way I did use the level 2 charger at Cracker Barrel on I-24 west of Chattanooga, exit 174 at Lookout Valley/Tiftonia. No problems at all there, other than my wife spending $50 in the gift shop.

Steve

Appreciate the advice Steve on holding the start button, but a co-worker tried it Sunday 11-06-2011, and it was out of order. A pin in the nozzle connector broke off. But I don't have info on when it will be repaired and be back in service.

I had trouble 1) starting this charger and 2) removing the charger nozzle from the Leaf's charging port at the end of the charging session. In my case it was due to my being uninformed about what to do. The attendants inside were able to tell me what I needed to know:

1) To get the charger's display to light up at the outset so I could follow its instructions: touch the screen!

2) To remove the charger's nozzle at the end: push the button on the top of the nozzle while NOT gripping the lever underneath the nozzle.

Other than charging at a slower rate than I expected (perhaps due to power limitations of this installation), it worked well!

Another negative article on lack of charger use appeared in The Tennessean on December 10:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20111210/BUSINESS01/312100037/Charging-stations-electric-cars-mostly-idle?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Business|s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Schmidt

The Eaton QC was repaired a couple months back.
I used it yesterday, and is working well.
Free of charge currently, no Blink or any other RFID card required
It originally had an extremely short cord, but they replaced it with a longer cord making it much easier to pull fully into the parking space, and leaving the driver's door where you can get in an out without bumping the door on the bollard.
My QC yesterday was from 5/12 bars on the LEAF gauge to 10/12 bars on the LEAF gauge. The normal nominal 80% charge level for minimizing impact LEAF battery.
7.7 Kwh, Took 24 min 42 seconds. Charge started at 388V & 120 Amps. At end of charge was at 393V, ~20amps. The Eaton shows a projected time remaining for the charge. It started showing 60 minutes to charge to 100%. When I stopped the charge, showed 35 minutes left.
The Eaton is different than the Blink QC in that there is no selection of % to charge to.
When you start it shows the percent charge of the LEAF that it is getting from the LEAF Battery ECU via the CHAdeMO protocol as Ingineer stated in this separate thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5692&start=190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But as Ingineer stated, this real % charge from the Battery ECU does not match with what the LEAF software displays to the driver with the bars display.
Although the LEAF has to be powered off to start the QC, once the QC begins you can start the LEAF, and then watch the bars display.
That's what I did. I stopped the QC once I got the "normal" 80% LEAF charge displayed as 10 out of 12 bars.
The Eaton was showing ~90% charge at this point.
Once Ingineer completes development of the LEAFSCAN though, I'll likely buy one, so that I have much more detailed information than the LEAF's crude bar display.

Here is a copy of an email I just sent to The EV Project:

Once again I was excluded from charging my Nissan LEAF by non-electric vehicles completely dominating the three charger slots and both adjacent sides at Cracker Barrel #21, 1460 N Mack Smith Road, East Ridge TN 37412. This was at 10:00 am, so not exactly prime time. I talked with the manager and he told me that enforcing use of the slots by ICE vehicles was up to the EV Project--Cracker Barrel is not responsible for policing the EVSEs (and rightfully so).
Why is it, that if I parked at the handicapped spots without a placard or handicapped plate that I would get a ticket, but there is no enforcement of the EV parking spots? How about a gate across the spots that would be lifted by swiping my Blink card? I've had my LEAF for almost a year, and I have never been able to charge at this Cracker Barrel location.

stevedj98 said:
... I talked with the manager and he told me that enforcing use of the slots by ICE vehicles was up to the EV Project--Cracker Barrel is not responsible for policing the EVSEs (and rightfully so). ...
I think he's quite mistaken. The site is owned by Cracker Barrel and if they won't call the tow trucks, no one else will. Do they have EV only signage? If not, likely nobody can enforce anything.

They have the standard graphic signage.
People are just oblivious to what the sign means.
I pulled in to the middle (right QC spot) and the left QC spot and the right L2 spot were empty.
Person pulled into the right spot, looked extremely confused about what the sign meant, but parked anyway in ICE vehicle.
Same experience with the left QC spot. They disregarded the big huge Blink QC with huge screen and two QC cords and the sign, parked anyway.
Cracker Barrel has put all their QC and L2 charging way too close to the store, for people not to fail to understand the sign and to park ICE vehicles in them.
At East Ridge, they're right across from the 4 or 5 handicapped parking spots. The closest non-handicapped parking to the door.

On another point, I set the Blink for 90%. It stopped before 10 of 12 bars had displayed. Was still showing 9 of 12 bars.
If you want to QC charge to the same 10 of 12 bars / 83% that LEAF does with L2, you have to set the Blink to 100%, and turn the car on and monitor the LEAF bars (or GID monitor or LEAFSCAN when its available) to stop the QC at the full nominal 80% charge level.
Very bad software implementation on Nissan's part that the very rough bar display doesn't correlate with what the vehicle tells the QC.

Reply to my email received from Blink:

Stephen,

Thank you for expressing your concerns regarding this charging station location. Unfortunately, the Cracker Barrel manager who you spoke to was a bit misinformed about the management process involving the charging stations. What I have written below is the proper separation of responsibility with all public commercially-owned charging stations.

The Blink Network is the manufacturer, maintainer and servicer of the chargers, so in the event the chargers are non-functional or problematic in any way which requires service, we coordinate and dispatch the appropriate personnel to repair the charger, as well as provide customer management services to Cracker Barrel, such as managing replacement RFID cards, customer memberships, and 24/7 phone support.

Cracker Barrel is the host of the chargers and the legal owner of the property surrounding them. It is the responsibility of the charging station owner to report functionality issues with their charging stations, as well resolve disputes regarding usage and availability of private property. In other words, the parking lot is a private service provided to you at no cost, and must be managed by its owner, Cracker Barrel.

We can provide signage to designate this parking space as an EV-only parking space, but the Cracker Barrel must both request/order this signage from us and enforce it on their own. Many successful locations use this signage to administer non-EV parking fines, much like how a handicap space is handled. If the Cracker Barrel wishes to speak to us to resolve this, we are available 24/7 at 888-998-2546.

Best Regards,

Billy Polaczek

Blink Network Contact Center

e: [email protected] | d: +1.888.998.2546

I was told by someone today (not a Cracker Barrel or Blink / Ecotality person, but someone very knowledgeable about the signage situation), that Cracker Barrel was offered installation of "Electric Vehicle Only Parking" signs with it clearly spelled out like it has been done at Green Life Grocery.
But they made the choice to not use them, and went with only the symbolic EV sign.
(Should be interpreted to mean the same thing, but people don't understand them and/or don't care.)
Cracker Barrel didn't want to "lose the parking spaces".
So at the locations like East Ridge and Cleveland where they're located way too close to the handicapped parking and the front door, they are often filled with ICE vehicles.

The Murphy Express Eaton DCFC was repaired on Friday, 05-18-2012.
I used it Saturday, 05-19-2012.
Went from 6 of 12 bars to 10 of 12 bars on the LEAF in 17 minutes, 23 seconds. Total charge of 5.8 kWh.
Starts off at about 3 minutes per bar.
9th bar took about 7 minutes.
10th bar took 4 minutes.

TimLee said:
The Murphy Express Eaton DCFC was repaired on Friday, 05-18-2012.
I used it Saturday, 05-19-2012.
Went from 6 of 12 bars to 10 of 12 bars on the LEAF in 17 minutes, 23 seconds. Total charge of 5.8 kWh.
Starts off at about 3 minutes per bar.
9th bar took about 7 minutes.
10th bar took 4 minutes.

With the Blink QC, if you are at 6 bars/50% or above, and you choose '100%', it will charge to 12 bars in less than 30 minutes. I found a shortcut using the Blink QC when you are below 50%. I choose '100%', it takes about 20 minutes (used to be about 30) to reach 10 bars, then you have to reset it and use your 'override' switch, select 100% again (only option on the screen), and it will take you to 12 bars in about 20 mins, so your total is less than 45 mins. for 12 bars vs. an hour or more using the '90%' setting to start.

TimLee said:
I was told by someone today (not a Cracker Barrel or Blink / Ecotality person, but someone very knowledgeable about the signage situation), that Cracker Barrel was offered installation of "Electric Vehicle Only Parking" signs with it clearly spelled out like it has been done at Green Life Grocery.
But they made the choice to not use them, and went with only the symbolic EV sign.
(Should be interpreted to mean the same thing, but people don't understand them and/or don't care.)
Cracker Barrel didn't want to "lose the parking spaces".
So at the locations like East Ridge and Cleveland where they're located way too close to the handicapped parking and the front door, they are often filled with ICE vehicles.

I've started to carry an icepick in my Leaf. Just sayin'

I like those stars that you can accidentally drop, and accidently kick under the back of a tire for when they backup.

Should somebody "catch" you in the act, you haven't done any damage... just intent for damage.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/26184/page-images/26184-images.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caltrop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My fave is the caltrop made from a couple of 10d nails, twisted appropriately.

Just speculating and hypotheticalizing, of course. Anything like this is illegal in California, of course.

Dave

Back