Chattanooga Murphy Express Eaton DCQC Removed!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clearly not a dedication of the Level 3 charger on September 3rd.
But have not been able to find out the date yet.
They may still be working on finding date that fits all the dignataries schedules.

Just to add to the Chattanooga charging excitement, the guy at the UPS Store down the road, who knows I have a LEAF, ask me if I knew about the HUGE charger installation under construction at Greenlife Grocery (owned by Whole Foods Market) in Chattanooga.

After the September 3, Murphy Express Level 3 dedication debacle, I was naturally skeptical if he really new what he was talking about.

So I took a little trip, just 4.5 miles from my house to check it out.

HOLY KILOWATT--Guess what--THE GUY WAS RIGHT!

Right now there is a 10-12 station BLINK Level 2, Solar Powered Carport under construction at the 2 Northshore Complex, just off Manufacturer's Road in North Chattanooga.

There are but 5 BLINK EVSE units installed at present, but looks like another 5 to 7 will be going there. Can't really tell if all would be part of the initial installation, or if there is just room being created for expansion. I'll settle for those initial 5, if that is all we get right now.

I've emailed the project companies with banners at the site, "Sustainable Future" in Knoxville, and "green|spaces" in Chattanooga for details about an opening date and dedication.

I took pics, but can't figure out how to post them here.

Steve

Hey Steve, a good website to host pictures for free is Image Shack.

http://imageshack.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can upload multiple pictures at the same time and then post the URL link that image shack displays once your upload is complete.

2 NORTH SHORE SOLAR 2 GO OPENING, Thursday, September 22 at 10:00 AM
Solar Parking Structure and Electric Charging Stations Installed

2 North Shore shopping center in Chattanooga has partnered with Sustainable Future of Knoxville and has installed a 34kW solar electric covered parking structure with electric car charging stations. This is the first of its kind in the area. The solar panels will provide shade for 12 cars and allow 5 electric cars to charge while customers are shopping. The solar panels produce enough electricity to drive an electric car an estimated 160,000 miles per year!

Join us for the opening celebration of "Flipping the Switch" Septemper 22, 2011 at 10:00 A.M. and learn more about how this innovative project is helping the community. Speakers will include: 2 North Shore shopping center owner Steve Arnsdorff, Sustainable Future founder David Bolt, ECOtality's Stephanie Cox, green|spaces, and many others interested in learning how to bring about a brighter future.

I'll be there!--Steve Schmidt

I enjoyed the 2 North Shore five L2 Blink EVSEs with solar panel covered parking "Flipping the Switch" event on Thursday, 09-22-2011 at 2 North Shore; and TOMORROW is the Big Day for the Eaton L3 dedication Saturday, 09-24-2011 at Murphy Express on 6398 Lee Highway @ Highway 153 !!!!!!
Chattanooga Times Free Press front page article confirms it will go into service tomorrow, and the Murphy Express manager advised the dedication will be at 10:00 AM.
They already have a Mitsubishi i MiEV parked next to it for use tomorrow.
I'll post photographs shortly.

Note if you look up the address on maps.google.com, the satellite photograph shows the Murphy Express (but before the Eaton L3 charger was installed), but the street view is not very current, it is before the Murphy Express was constructed.

Can't wait till they start putting L3's in every rest stop along I-75, I-85, I-95, I-20 & I-16 in GA. That will be a good start in making the Leaf usable in GA.

Here are some pictures:

1005321.th.jpg
[/URL]

1005322g.th.jpg

1005308n.th.jpg

1005450i.th.jpg

1005452.th.jpg

1005454u.th.jpg

N952JL said:
Can't wait till they start putting L3's in every rest stop along I-75, I-85, I-95, I-20 & I-16 in GA. That will be a good start in making the Leaf usable in GA.
If they just put one between Chattanooga and Atlanta we can go play up there!

nogajim said:
N952JL said:
If they just put one between Chattanooga and Atlanta we can go play up there!

I can't even get up to Atlanta to play unless they install an L3 between Macon and Atlanta.

N952JL said:
I can't even get up to Atlanta to play unless they install an L3 between Macon and Atlanta.
You're right, we might need three: L3's at Mcdonough, Marietta and Calhoun would get a lot of people into Tenn.

nogajim said:
N952JL said:
You're right, we might need three: L3's at Mcdonough, Marietta and Calhoun would get a lot of people into Tenn.

But that would still leave me out. I live in Warner Robins GA. I might get to Forysth GA just north of Macon. But that is it. Now they have a Rest stop on I-475 around Macon near the north end going North, then about 60 miles north of there is the Flying J which might start installing them. That would get me to the Atlanta Area. Another L3 in South or downtown Atlanta, or then start with your systems.

Eaton Level 3 50 kW charger is now in service at Murphy Express at 6398 Lee Highway @ Highway 153 in Chattanooga, TN.
Dedication service held 09-24-2011 at 10:00 AM with variety of dignitaries, including our Congressman.
Ribbon cutting was around 11:00 a.m.
The Murphy Express is a 24/7 operation, Charger is unlocked, all you have to do is pull in, plug up to the port, and punch start. No card required for use and there isn't any fee for its use at this time.
Screen gives you information on progress.
I didn't try it out today as my Leaf was nearly fully charged at 11 bars, but plan to try it in the next few days.

TimLee said:
Eaton Level 3 50 kW charger is now in service at Murphy Express at 6398 Lee Highway @ Highway 153 in Chattanooga, TN.
Dedication service held 09-24-2011 at 10:00 AM with variety of dignitaries, including our Congressman.
Ribbon cutting was around 11:00 a.m.
The Murphy Express is a 24/7 operation, Charger is unlocked, all you have to do is pull in, plug up to the port, and punch start. No card required for use and there isn't any fee for its use at this time.
Screen gives you information on progress.
I didn't try it out today as my Leaf was nearly fully charged at 11 bars, but plan to try it in the next few days.

Very cool! Please post about your experience if you end up using it.

News story with video:
http://wdef.com/local_gas_station_has_free_electric_car_charge_port" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a chance to try out the new solar carport in Chattanooga at Greenlife Grocery this week.

There are indeed five BLINK EVSE units there. One has a tag taped to it saying "sorry, but this unit is out of service." The other four appear to be working. Since there were ICE cars (including a really ancient Buick boat) parked at all but one unit, I had to use the one directly in the sun and out of the shaded area, which made the display hard to read. You have to shadow it with your hand. That's when I found out you need a BLINK RFID assess card to make it work. Nobody said anything about that. So I now carry the card in the glovebox--too much stuff in my aluminum wallet already.

So, I came back the next day with my RFID card and found an EVSE in the shade this time, with ICE vehicles at only two of the working units. You scan the card under the screen, and it goes into the "plug in to charge mode." I plugged it in, and it started charging, just like my home BLINK unit. I went into Greenlife and bought some expensive organic food, came back 23 minutes later, unplugged the EVSE, and checked the LEAF to see that it had added two battery bars (or 12 miles) during that time.

There really needs to be some signage about "Reserved for Electric Vehicles" or a universal symbol on the paint on the ground, similar to "handicapped blue", to indicate these are for EVs only.

Steve

Monteagle is about 55 miles on I-24 from Chattanooga and up Monteagle Mountain. If there were another charger between Chattanooga and there, I'd venture up. But that 8 mile hill on I-24 gives me range anxiety!

The Town Of Monteagle Gets Plugged In
posted October 13, 2011

The town of Monteagle is celebrating National Plug In Day on Monday, at 10 a.m. CDT with a ribbon cutting ceremony for its new BLINK electric car charging station received through the national EV (Electric Vehicle) Project.

The new BLINK charging station will be located in front of Hannah Pickett Park behind Monteagle City Hall. Everyone is welcome to attend the ribbon cutting and hear about the new environmentally friendly addition to Monteagle’s infrastructure.

The federally-funded EV Project, which officially launched Oct. 1, 2009, will be the largest deployment of electric vehicles and charge infrastructure in history. ECOtality, project manager for the EV Project, is deploying approximately 14,000 BLINK chargers in 18 major cities and metropolitan areas located in six states and the District of Columbia: California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Texas, Tennessee, and Washington, D.C. Chevrolet and Nissan North America are partners in The EV Project.

Monteagle was strategically chosen to compliment the charging infrastructure triangle between Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga. Monteagle will have three local charging stations.

Visit http://www.ecotality.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more details on the EV Project. Contact Monteagle City Hall at 931 924-2265 for more information on the ribbon cutting.

I discovered another Blink L2 charger in Chattanooga.

A friend's daughter is planning her wedding reception at the historic Mayor's Manor Inn Bed and Breakfast, downtown at 801 Vine Street.

I checked it out, and sure enough there it is, all ready to go in the parking lot. Didn't have time to try it out--but the lady there said I would have been the first to use it, so I assume it is a rather recent addition.

Steve

CHEVY VOLT SEEN IN CHATTANOOGA

My wife and I drove the LEAF to Hillbilly's Restaurant on Hixson Pike in Chattanooga for lunch today.

There in the parking lot was a Chevy Volt. I talked briefly to the driver as he was leaving the restaurant. He's had the Volt about three months. He had considered a LEAF, but wanted the extended range of the Volt. I asked him where he acquired it, and he said it was a fleet car from Texas (?).

He seemed anxious to leave, so I didn't get a chance to ask him about his EVSE, or how much his battery only mileage was.

Nice looking car. Bigger than I imagined, and very "normal" looking.

Steve

Back