Charging Station etiquette? Volt owners hogging the juice!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The length of this thread indicates the depth of our frustration with the current state of affairs. Some progress has been with signage laws and continuing installations of stations, but the bottom line is you still have to have a plan B, C, and D. You can't take for granted that you can refuel when you need it like ICEVs can, and that's the way it is. In the age of "I want it now!", you're a pioneer who must make do. A cutting edge anachronism. It will get better, but it will take more time and effort and complaining and education. However it shakes out, the EV is here to stay, the sun is rising, welcome to the future.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
The length of this thread indicates the depth of our frustration with the current state of affairs. Some progress has been with signage laws and continuing installations of stations, but the bottom line is you still have to have a plan B, C, and D. You can't take for granted that you can refuel when you need it like ICEVs can, and that's the way it is. In the age of "I want it now!", you're a pioneer who must make do. A cutting edge anachronism. It will get better, but it will take more time and effort and complaining and education. However it shakes out, the EV is here to stay, the sun is rising, welcome to the future.

Yes. Well said.

I've had my 2013 Leaf only One Month so far and I only charged outside of my house once at a ChargePoint that was in a Garage on Jay Street in Brooklyn NY.

That ChargePoint has (2) 208V 30A J1772 chargers, One in Port one and one in Port 2.

LasareathLeaf33.jpg

When I went there it wasn't being used but there was a car blocking it but this was a parking deck, the attendant parked the car there, not the owner of the vehicle. So the parking attendant moved the car a little bit so I can access the Charging station.

I needed around 2 hours to charge to 100% and I was going to be at that location for 2.5 hours, So I left the car plugged in for only 30 mins max after it was complete.

If that Charging Station only had one Port I would not have a problem with someone unplugging it and using it for their car.

I think that there should be a sign up in these spots that state:

PARKING FOR EV'S
ONLY. 4 HOURS
MAX TIME.
DO NOT PARK
IF YOU ARE
NOT CHARGING.

As per ICE cars blocking or parking in EV spots; I might block them in and plug my Leaf in. I'll leave a note and my #, I'm a Big Dude, 6'5 and 330LBS, they'll be sorry if the vandalize my Leaf.

Lasareath

I'm at the Northridge Metrolink station and my silver friend whose name also starts with a V is here today. Turns out this is not the one in the OP, licence plate # ends with 997 inside a Claremont McKenna College frame. Fortunately the second plug was open

JasonA said:
...Goto GOOGLE IMAGES and lookup "Handicap Parking Sign" and most DO NOT HAVE an VC or local codes..

We just know NOT TO PARK THERE BECAUSE WE ARE NOT HANDICAP..

Funny.. my BRAIN USED TO TELL ME NEVER TO PARK IN A EV PARKING SPOT WITH A BIG ASS CHARGER IN FRONT OF IT with my Ice cars :roll: ...
That's because the law for handicapped spots are written such that they don't need it. The laws for EV charging are written so the signs do need it, or they aren't enforceable. But, yeah...you gotta be a pretty big @$$ to park there when it's so obvious that the space is for EVs.

Went to the L.A. Convention Center a few days ago and had the same problem with a Fisker taking up one of the two chargers. A LEAF was actively charging on the second plug. A parking attendant happened to be standing right there and said the Fisker had been there since earlier in the morning (this was already afternoon). I was debating what to do when the attendant went ahead and unplugged the Fisker and handed me the plug. Spent probably four hours there and guess what - the Fisker was still there when I left.
I knew the Metrolink lots were going to be a problem. Anybody commuting to work is going to be gone at least 9 hours per day, which is way too long even for a LEAF to charge. An entire row of L1 wall outlets would make more sense at some of these lots.

DTB said:
Went to the L.A. Convention Center a few days ago and had the same problem with a Fisker taking up one of the two chargers

Did it look like this? :)

DTB said:
I knew the Metrolink lots were going to be a problem. Anybody commuting to work is going to be gone at least 9 hours per day, which is way too long even for a LEAF to charge. An entire row of L1 wall outlets would make more sense at some of these lots.

Most of those who use Metrolink, perhaps with the exception of the PiP crowd, don't need to charge there as they can easily make it to the station and back home on a single charge. Stop free charging - problem solved.

Just talked to my friend to has a RavEV.. said at the Metrolink there was a red Leaf that needed the juice and had 2 kids but the other spot was taken up by a Volt that was sitting there all day???

She let them have her plug as they needed it to get home.

last time we charged there was a red Leaf waiting for us. Glad we were done in 1 hour. I felt guilty they had 2 babies with them.
A member on this forum??

So I got 2 replies back from both the "owner" and property management company of the site. Basically they will alert their "security" to pay special attention and watch the EV area. :lol:

I have never seen security there EVER!..

Jason,

I appreciate your feedback regarding the EV stations and parking stalls at Granada Village. Unfortunately, we cannot restrict parking. I do understand this is a big concern and frustration for EV owners, which is why going forward, security will be paying special attention and monitoring the area.

Once again, your feedback is very much appreciated. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

And from the other..

Jason,
Thank you for your emails, we always appreciate customer feedback. Your emails have been forwarded to the shopping center owner who will be getting back to you, if she has not done so already.

We would not want to tow shopping center customer vehicles as we do not want them to have a poor experience when they are at the Granada Village. We will notify our on-site security so they will be aware of this and can kindly tell customers of non EV vehicles to not park in these dedicated spaces.

Well.. I went there... Blink showed both spaces open.. NOT!! it was all filled but there was a lady sitting in her SUV and I got out and asked her to move and she kindly did so.

So I can see that they are not going to be receptive to us there. :roll:

Central Coast, CA-- growing pains here. There are very few public charging docks in small beach towns. Consequently, I have run across Volts, Plug-in hybrid Prius, and Plug-in hybrid Ford C-Max using the charging bays.

As a LEAF owner, I believe 100% EV cars should have priority to charge up over the plug-in hybrids.

Last night, I had to unplug a C-Max to charge up to get home. I waited at the charging dock to explain to the C-Max why I unplugged his car.

Fortunately, he was understanding. (I realize that if this was a Volt, I can't unplug without the Volt horn blasting)

I have read the charging Etiquette blog by "Plugincars.com", and I broke protocol.

However, in my case, I had left my L1 charging cord at home, and the only other public L2 station in town was broken :-(

gasmiser1 said:
Central Coast, CA-- growing pains here. There are very few public charging docks in small beach towns. Consequently, I have run across Volts, Plug-in hybrid Prius, and Plug-in hybrid Ford C-Max using the charging bays.

As a LEAF owner, I believe 100% EV cars should have priority to charge up over the plug-in hybrids.

Last night, I had to unplug a C-Max to charge up to get home. I waited at the charging dock to explain to the C-Max why I unplugged his car.

Fortunately, he was understanding. (I realize that if this was a Volt, I can't unplug without the Volt horn blasting)

I have read the charging Etiquette blog by "Plugincars.com", and I broke protocol.

However, in my case, I had left my L1 charging cord at home, and the only other public L2 station in town was broken :-(

how many times have you pushed past an old lady buying 3 items at the grocery store because your "needs" took higher priority in your mind?

Begging the EV community's pardon----but, the C-Max was a gas hybrid plug-in. I wouldn't have unplugged a "pure EV" car.

I realize I broke charging station protocol, however the station had a 4 hour charging limit, it was 7pm, and I couldn't wait for 2-3 hours until the guy potentially returned to his car for me to be able to charge up. (I needed 45-60 minutes charge to get home @L2)

Lesson learned-- never forget to bring you own L1 charging cord with you and become stranded :-(

gasmiser1 said:
Begging the EV community's pardon----but, the C-Max was a gas hybrid plug-in. I wouldn't have unplugged a "pure EV" car.

I realize I broke charging station protocol, however the station had a 4 hour charging limit, it was 7pm, and I couldn't wait for 2-3 hours until the guy potentially returned to his car for me to be able to charge up. (I needed 45-60 minutes charge to get home @L2)

Lesson learned-- never forget to bring you own L1 charging cord with you and become stranded :-(
the C-Max probably would have completed its charge relatively quickly. it is ok to unplug a car that is not charging. any other situation is NOT ok. I don't care what kind of car it is.

DaveinOlyWA said:

the C-Max probably would have completed its charge relatively quickly. it is ok to unplug a car that is not charging. any other situation is NOT ok. I don't care what kind of car it is.[/quote]
---------------------------------
Dave- note taken. My situation won't be that uncommon--stranded without charging options. I'll take my "whipping" for my charging etiquette error of unplugging the C-Max hybrid.

Note: Ford C-Max Hybrid Plug-in takes 2.5 hours for a full charge @ L2. His charge port light indicator was at 1/2 full.

I did wait and apologize to the owner for unplugging his car. He was sympathetic and understanding :)
(I also knew he was an in-town local, as seen several times in the past weeks charging)

gasmiser1 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

the C-Max probably would have completed its charge relatively quickly. it is ok to unplug a car that is not charging. any other situation is NOT ok. I don't care what kind of car it is.
---------------------------------
Dave- note taken. My situation won't be that uncommon--stranded without charging options. I'll take my "whipping" for my charging etiquette error of unplugging the C-Max hybrid.

Note: Ford C-Max Hybrid Plug-in takes 2.5 hours for a full charge @ L2. His charge port light indicator was at 1/2 full.

I did wait and apologize to the owner for unplugging his car. He was sympathetic and understanding :)
(I also knew he was an in-town local, as seen several times in the past weeks charging)
[/quote]

the whole situation really boils down to not providing communication options. the C-Max owner should have provided contact info if he is ok with being unplugged. This is something that needs more publicity. There are several very good anonymous ways to provide that contact info.

one of the options provided by Seattle Area FB member

http://mobilesquared.com/chargesticker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm surprised it's taken this long for this to happen to me... but I knew this day would come.
So I found myself at the beach (CDM) in SoCal for my group's Friday evening swim and it seems did not adequately gauge how much charge I would need leaving work 40 miles back in San Dimas. For dinner the logical choice was to go to nearby Fashion Island which has two chargepoint stations. Arriving below VLBW with about 20 Gids and zero bars I wasn't all too surprised to find a PiP and Cmax Energi plugged in and soaking up the $1/hr juice. The Cmax was still charging 3.3kW (with battery fan blowing!) but the PiP was down to 0.6kW.

I parked between them and unplugged the Pip!!!

I left a note on the PiP's windshield apologizing for my actions explaining my desperation.. I left my name, and phone number as well as $1 (just in case the Chargepoint rounds up to the nearest hour.. it didn't after the first $1 btw)

He texted me while I was at dinner and said no problem.. still.. Not a situation I'd ever like to find myself in. This could have been avoided had I charged more completely at work before leaving, but what about situations where you intend to charge and desperately need it?

I did similar. I went to a baseball game in the city. Arriving at the single L2 head ChargePoint I found a Volt actively charging. I plugged into the optional L1 outlet which was my plan B allowing the minimum necessity 2 bars of charge furring the 3-4 hour baseball game. Five minute after I went through the gates I get an alert on my phone that there was a ground fault.

I made a B line for the garage after the last out to find the volt still plugged into L2 but finished charging. I unplugged him and let the car alarm honk at me for 30 seconds. I waited for 45 minutes in my car before leaving. The Volt owner returned to his car 20 minutes after the game ended and had no problem with me unplugging, understanding the predicament.

P71VIC said:
I did similar. I went to a baseball game in the city. Arriving at the single L2 head ChargePoint I found a Volt actively charging. I plugged into the optional L1 outlet which was my plan B allowing the minimum necessity 2 bars of charge furring the 3-4 hour baseball game. Five minute after I went through the gates I get an alert on my phone that there was a ground fault.

I made a B line for the garage after the last out to find the volt still plugged into L2 but finished charging. I unplugged him and let the car alarm honk at me for 30 seconds. I waited for 45 minutes in my car before leaving. The Volt owner returned to his car 20 minutes after the game ended and had no problem with me unplugging, understanding the predicament.

NOT similar at all! the Volt was done and there was ZERO need for it to remain plugged in! Not so with the PiP

Interesting that they're paying for the charge. Surprising since gas would be cheaper. What's the cost to charge?

SanDust said:
Interesting that they're paying for the charge. Surprising since gas would be cheaper. What's the cost to charge?
In my case they wanted $1/hr with $1 minimum.. It looked like after the first hour it was charging down to the minute or every few minutes so no big deal if you unplug after 1:10 or so.. Ie you don't need to hang out till 1:59 to maximize your charge dollar..

The PiP normally charges at 3.3kW and was down to 0.6kW so even though not full I'm guessing he was pretty close. As soon as I unplugged him, his account was charged and I re-authorized with my chargepoint card for my charge.

If I recall he was over an hour into his charge.. maybe 1:15 or 1:20? So maybe $1.30.. How far can a PiP go? 10 miles? I would think a 50mpg car could do better on gasoline.

Back