Charging Station etiquette? Volt owners hogging the juice!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was unaware of a 120 volt outlet in the ChargePoint units. I thought they were capable of having 2 L2 handles but that only one was installed.

I'll have to look closer next time I use one. I have seen that door but I have never opened it and I figured it was for technician's use.

ITestStuff said:
RonDawg said:
ChargePoint units have the ability to have dual charging handles, that's why the ones currently installed are labeled "2." While they're at it, perhaps move those chargers into the parking garage across the way so we're not baking the batteries as they charge.
You sure about that? I thought #1 was the 120V outlet in the base of the unit (where you plug in your own EVSE/charger) while #2 was for the 240V J1772.

Better picture - http://www.novacharge.net/sites/default/files/gallery-images/AAA%20NATIONAL%20-%20013.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Details on the Chargepoint unit - http://www.pluginamerica.org/accessories/chargepoint-ct2100-series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More Chargepoint options - http://www.chargepoint.com/products-chargepoint-stations.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

every chargepoint I have seen is set up as #1 being 240 volt, #2 is 120 volt.

RonDawg said:
I was unaware of a 120 volt outlet in the ChargePoint units. I thought they were capable of having 2 L2 handles but that only one was installed.

I'll have to look closer next time I use one. I have seen that door but I have never opened it and I figured it was for technician's use.
Door unlocks, like the L2 handle, when you scan your card.

KeiJidosha said:
Does it only unlock if the L2 is in use? Or do both unlock when you swipe, and then the other re-locks after charging starts on whatever one you choose to use? Never tried opening the 120v door.

On the ChargePoint display it scrolls between the status of charger #1 and charger #2. The ones I've used (the Burbank ones as mentioned in another thread, and the one at SoCalEdison's facility in Irwindale) all have the 240v charging handle set up as charger #2, with charger #1 as always "available."

That's why I never realized there was a 120 volt outlet hidden within and presumed they just installed the sole 240 volt charging handle as charger #2 and left charger #1 uninstalled. But now I can see their logic behind that...#2 for L2 charging.

ITestStuff said:
KeiJidosha said:
Does it only unlock if the L2 is in use? Or do both unlock when you swipe, and then the other re-locks after charging starts on whatever one you choose to use? Never tried opening the 120v door.

you select which one you want to use when you scan card.

kwpsd said:
Bought a 2013 Leaf in March and received my California white ZEV decals last week, so I think the program is still active.
Yes, the white decal program is still active. That lets you use diamond lanes. The guys were talking about a ZEV sticker that you could put in your rear window that gave you the right to use certain charging stations.

Ray

planet4ever said:
kwpsd said:
Bought a 2013 Leaf in March and received my California white ZEV decals last week, so I think the program is still active.
Yes, the white decal program is still active. That lets you use diamond lanes. The guys were talking about a ZEV sticker that you could put in your rear window that gave you the right to use certain charging stations.

Ray
THIS one.

We got a 2013 Leaf last week. They explained that is what the Auto setting does -- unlock the "nozzle" when you are fully charged. Have had a chance to use it yet.

apvbguy said:
RegGuheert said:
One question about the 2013 LEAF: If you use the automatic EVSE locking setting, does it unlock the EVSE when changing is complete?
I believe it does unlock when set on auto

kwpsd said:
that is not the sticker that is being referred to. The old program had a small green and white sticker, it was about an inch square. You got it from the DMV and paid a separate fee. When they passed the new EV charging law, the stickers were done away with.

Here is a picture of the sticker in question from my Leaf:

11lu68z.jpg

davewill said:
kwpsd said:
that is not the sticker that is being referred to. The old program had a small green and white sticker, it was about an inch square. You got it from the DMV and paid a separate fee. When they passed the new EV charging law, the stickers were done away with.

LEAFer said:
planet4ever said:
kwpsd said:

Ray
THIS one.

Yes, that one. Years ago the Production EV Drivers Coalition (of which I was co-chairman) paid a lobbyist in Sacramento to help us pass a law making it possible to have gasoline cars parked at EV chargers towed if proper signage existed. Up until that point police, security guys and property owners would just throw up their hands and say "nothing we can do, it's not against the law". So with the stickers, it was against the law. Of course soon after that most EV1s were taken off the road leaving just a few RAV4-EVs and other assorted small volume vehicles... I think we had a contest for the design of the sticker and one of the EV1 club member's kids came up with the logo.

I verified the behavior on one of these Chargepoint stations today.

When you swipe your card, it unlocks both the door to L1 120v as well as the L2 J1772 connector. When you start charging, it locks them both again.

I have one of those ZEV stickers, got it mainly for the free metered parking in Santa Monica. Anyone knows if they still offer it (the free parking)? If so, how can they tell ZEV or not w/o the stickers?

As for the original complaint, I personally didn't have too many issues overall but there is this one individual who plugs-in his Volt at the Northridge Metrolink station in the morning, hops on the train and leaves until evening, which is very annoying. I'm in the area on Tuesdays and often running low on charge and need about 20 mins of charging to make it home comfortably, and several times couldn't charge there when the second charger was occupied (each time by a different vehicle). I don't know what this person is thinking, I doubt he or she lives too far from the station, so it is not like they are going to save $$ by charging there. Oh well, there will always be people like that unless there are rules that can be enforced.

Valdemar said:
I have one of those ZEV stickers, got it mainly for the free metered parking in Santa Monica. Anyone knows if they still offer it (the free parking)? If so, how can they tell ZEV or not w/o the stickers?

Wouldn't the white HOV exemption stickers be a substitute for the old ZEV ones?

Did You Notice That The Other Plug Was Still Available After Your Charge Session Was Started?
ITestStuff said:
I verified the behavior on one of these Chargepoint stations today.

When you swipe your card, it unlocks both the door to L1 120v as well as the L2 J1772 connector. When you start charging, it locks them both again.

Valdemar said:
As for the original complaint, I personally didn't have too many issues overall but there is this one individual who plugs-in his Volt at the Northridge Metrolink station in the morning, hops on the train and leaves until evening, which is very annoying. I'm in the area on Tuesdays and often running low on charge and need about 20 mins of charging to make it home comfortably, and several times couldn't charge there when the second charger was occupied (each time by a different vehicle). I don't know what this person is thinking, I doubt he or she lives too far from the station, so it is not like they are going to save $$ by charging there. Oh well, there will always be people like that unless there are rules that can be enforced.

I'm not sure if you are the one who posted this in PlugShare, but I thought I'd share it:

2 chargers total but every time I stop there a silver Volt is hogging one of them.

Posted 10/24/2012 23:05

Well I drove by the Northridge mall again late yest (8pm) and that Volt was there again!! Burgundy Red with Keyes lic place (new car).. so either he/she works there or walks over and takes the bus/train somewhere else...

But others have complained in the past on PS... which is strange because by now they would have gotten their plates.

That silver Volt is probably the one I took the pic of in the first pic in Burbank.. I have not seen a SINGLE one here in the S.F.Valley...

They need some edumucation on charging.. instead of "loitering" all day..

RonDawg said:
I'm not sure if you are the one who posted this in PlugShare, but I thought I'd share it:

2 chargers total but every time I stop there a silver Volt is hogging one of them.

Posted 10/24/2012 23:05

It was my comment. I spoke with the security guard and he confirmed the Volt is there all day long. To be fair, I haven't visited that location for about a month now, so it may no longer be an issue.

RonDawg said:
Valdemar said:

Wouldn't the white HOV exemption stickers be a substitute for the old ZEV ones?

That seems to be the case.

Back