Public EVSE Etiquette - True EV vs. Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest if I really needed a charge in my Leaf I'd probably try to get to a DCQC. No need to worry about Volts there anyway. It will be interesting to see if this becomes more of a problem as more EVs hit the road or if it becomes less as we get more chargers. If like 20 spaces at the mall had L2s it probably wouldn't be hard to find an open one.

lorenfb said:
And then you have those with EVs, because of the convenient locations of charging stations to mall entrances,
who decide that they can simulate a charging situation by just connecting without actually charging. That's obviously
worst than those that aren't there at their vehicle when the charging process is complete. In either case, I have zero
tolerance for those situations and will generally wait about 5 minutes and then do a disconnect. I'm more tolerant
if the EV is actually charging without the driver being there and would wait 15 - 20 minutes before disconnecting
or just finding another location if possible.

I see PIP's doing tis for four or more hours all the time. Also there are plenty of Tesla owners that have NO home charging and leave their cars in public stations all day every day as if it is there personal space. Public charging will soon be a complete nightmare and already is in many cities. Don;t expect it to be enforced well and this likely will lead to no more free charging and high rates to temper demand. likely the long term strategy of giving away free stations to garages.

Back