ChargePoint ChargePass

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a question. When the unit says 'in-use' on the ChargePoint website, does that mean that power is currently flowing through the charging station to the vehicle, or just that the charging station is plugged into a vehicle?

I see that some of the units are in-use alot. I was just thinking that if that just meant plugged in, that some of those vehicles might be done charging, and maybe they left a note saying it was ok to unplug them when they are done charging. (I am going to try to do that all the time from now on)

Also I was wondering how it works for the charging stations that have both L1 and L2 on the same unit. If I swipe my card, how does it know what level I am trying to access? Thanks!

-Peter

prberg said:
I see that some of the units are in-use alot. I was just thinking that if that just meant plugged in, that some of those vehicles might be done charging, and maybe they left a note saying it was ok to unplug them when they are done charging. (I am going to try to do that all the time from now on)

Also I was wondering how it works for the charging stations that have both L1 and L2 on the same unit. If I swipe my card, how does it know what level I am trying to access? Thanks!r
I think the busy status means plugged in, but I don't really know. Rather than a note, print out one of these: http://www.evchargernews.com/chargingprotocol.htm
Place the paper clip indicating the time you expect to be done with charging and leave it on the dash.
Opening the L1 door or removing the L2 handle tells it which one you want. It ends up being dirt simple, swipe the card and pick your poison.

mwalsh said:
davewill said:
You lock the public J1772s? I noticed the Chargepoints had the same hole for the lock, but I'd never have the cheek to actually lock it to my car.

If that unplugging and plugging sh*t is going to be going on...damn right I'd lock the handle of a public charger to my car. Like I said, the protocol card has my phone number, if anyone wants to see me about it.

Mike,
what kind of combo lock do you have that fits the j1772?
I saw one on Ebay with just 3 number wheels. that seemed inadequate.

The CP App will show a site is in use if the car is plugged in AND charging. This has caused problems when others show up and find an EV is done charging but the owner has not come back and left the space. Active charging is not an issue where EVSE units are centrally located within multiple designated stalls. Unplug and share is very easy. But so far I have only seen stall configurations with one EVSE for one space. Hard to share when there is no place to park.

I am all for the units communicating when the plug handle has been replaced (owner is leaving). This would give a third status in the Apps. Charge is complete but car is still plugged in. This would be VERY helpful.

BTW- yesterday I was told that the left EVSE unit in Laguna Beach was out or order. Just a heads up for now.

thankyouOB said:
That's all I've found so far...Although I haven't looked that hard. Wish it could take a standard padlock, I keep a number of identically keyed ones at home so it's easy to pop one onto something, knowing that I have a key with me all the time and have duplicate keys at home.

I found a keyed Brinks padlock at Target which is small enough to fit. I suspect anything with a shackle thin enough to go through the hole in the connector latch could be cut fairly easily with a bolt cutter, so might be deemed "inadequate". My goal in using a padlock would be to discourage theft of my portable EVSE, not to make it impossible. I've never worried about anyone steeling my wheels, either.

Ray

thankyouOB said:
Mike,

That would be more or less what I have. For me it's not about hard-core vandalism, it's about casual tampering. At least when it comes to a public charger. With my own EVSE it's more about opportunity theft, but that's not what I'm concerned about here. And if someone were to call me on the number listed on the protocol card, and I couldn't be arsed to come back to the car, of course I wouldn't have a problem giving them the number so they could remove it.

The locks I have are Master model 630D. Pictured here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3415&start=235

I'm with mwalsh on this one--I don't want to be getting a bunch of text messages saying that my car has been unplugged while I'm eating dinner or at a concert. I'm hazarding a guess that the charge protocol card was done in the days before the (locking) J1772 connector. Perhaps we need to adapt it to suit the needs of LEAF owners, e.g., "I will return at the time indicated below. If you need to charge before then, please contact me"

gascant said:
I'm with mwalsh on this one--I don't want to be getting a bunch of text messages saying that my car has been unplugged while I'm eating dinner or at a concert. I'm hazarding a guess that the charge protocol card was done in the days before the (locking) J1772 connector. Perhaps we need to adapt it to suit the needs of LEAF owners, e.g., "I will return at the time indicated below. If you need to charge before then, please contact me"
You shouldn't be locking up a public J1772 connector to your vehicle. The purpose of the charge protocol is so that we can be unplugged without being at the vehicle.

Locking an EVSE seems only appropriate when the unit is in a single car space and CANNOT reach anyone else for Plug-Sharing.

Here is the eMail I sent off to CP about adding a third charger status to their App.

We have been using the ChargePoint stations in Laguna Beach alot and thought of a very useful new feature for your App.

What if the App indicated when an EV was done charging BUT not unplugged yet?

The current Status of a station seems to be on/off or Blue/Green.  An EV is either pulling power or not.  This can be very misleading when a car is done charging BUT still occupying the charger space.  We have been baited more than once to a "green" station only to find an EV still plugged in.  All the spaces so far are singles and do not allow plug "sharing".  This is unfortunate and makes the true Status of a station very important.  These experiences gave me the idea to indicate a "Green" status only after an EV has been unplugged and therefore likely driven off.

Doing this would require a third App Charger Status.  Maybe a "Yellow" indicating an EV is done-charging but not-unplugged.  This would be VERY useful status information and warn people that yes, an EV is done charging BUT has not been unplugged.    Therefore the stall is still occupied.  ChargePoint already sends text notifications for done-charging and unplugged so it would seem this information could be utilized by the App Status Feature.

Thank You for providing EV charging infrastructure and a very useful App.  We really enjoy using your stations and seeing many more in our area.

Sincerely:
M--- ---------

Sent from my iPhone

DarkStar said:
You shouldn't be locking up a public J1772 connector to your vehicle. The purpose of the charge protocol is so that we can be unplugged without being at the vehicle.

Look, we're going to differ on this, so there isn't much point to further discussion. The first time someone unplugs me and interrupts my charging (charging I have no doubt I'll need to get home, because I don't plug in where there is no need) without observing the time noted on the protocol card is going to be the last time.

I revised the protocol sheet to include the wording about being able to unplug the car if the charging lights are off. I don't know how to attach the PDF here but if you want the file, PM me with your email and I will send it to you...or if someone can tell me how to post a PDF here.

Kat

Kataphn said:
I revised the protocol sheet to include the wording about being able to unplug the car if the charging lights are off. I don't know how to attach the PDF here but if you want the file, PM me with your email and I will send it to you...or if someone can tell me how to post a PDF here.
What did you come up with for wording? There is a link to the original Word file (somewhere in this thread?) so we could all just copy and paste ;)

prberg said:
Also I was wondering how it works for the charging stations that have both L1 and L2 on the same unit. If I swipe my card, how does it know what level I am trying to access?
I have not actually used a Chargepoint L1 but the display scrowls across various messages including L1 and L2 availability. When it displays L1 available would be the time to hit it with your card to get started. And yes you can use L1 if L2 is taken.

I think a CP station unlocks BOTH L1 & L2 when you "wave" your card. You take your pick (lift L1 cover or remove L2 plug). (Obviously if one or the other is already in use ... you pick the other.) After you've made your choice (not sure how soon it triggers) the other port gets re-locked.

Went to California Science Center this week. After complaining to charepoint about the "not available" status on their website a week before, was able to confirm that chargers were online before heading down there. Still, I was a bit nervous, as there is no indicator is the chargers are ICED.

IMAG0372.jpg

$10 parking admission for all vehicle. To my relief the chargers I found were not ICED (but the one closer to the CSC was.) A bit to my surprised these are not the normal Coulumb public chargers I have used in LAX and Santa Monica. And due to that reason, it seems like the RFID card is not required (The display didn't change when I waved the card.) Sure enough, chargepoint network website did not have any usage info for that charge. Was able to check my progress through my leaf android app though(yay!)

jU0Egl.jpg

Here is a picture of the idiot who ICED the charger. Wish there was some pink carboncopy-like paper similar to a parking citation that says warning or something to that effect, so it would make them think twice parking there next time.

Back