ChargePoint ChargePass

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you would think the private ones would never end up on the Chargepoint network. Any idea how much are they to buy by a private person?

I just signed up for a ChargePass last night and the fee for a card is now $4.95 instead of $10 like before. I don't know if they still offer a free one if you call in or not. But for just $4.95, I figured it was small enough to just order it instead of trying to call in.

I never bothered trying to get it for free. I figured a $10 insurance policy was a good deal, and I even primed my account. I definitely want those guys to succeed. Incidentally, I got the little keyring card, but I keep it in the car, hanging on the windshield wiper stalk.

Ray

LALeaf said:
Yes, you would think the private ones would never end up on the Chargepoint network. Any idea how much are they to buy by a private person?
CT2103-CDMA-CCR-LOCK Coulomb Level 1&2 charging unit, wall mounted, 240v-32a/120v-12a w/J1772 plug and locking holster, CC reader, 18' hanging cord, mount kit and internally installed CDMA modem $6,440 ea.

CT2003-CCR-LOCK Coulomb Level 2 only charging unit, wall mounted, w/J1772 plug and holster, CC reader, 18' hanging cord, mount kit $4,430 ea.

Shipping $150 x 2

Free network service for two years, one year warranty included and five year additional warranty purchased.

Actually it was a deal where buy two and get one free so I will let you calculate the net. Privately owned public commercial building.
Installation was extra.

anyone used the charger at exposition park/ california Science Center? I know back in May they had this big news event with Mayor Antonie Villargosa and etc. over there...but today I check the status of that charger is offline...Already? Don't tell me they installed that just for show?

lettcco said:
anyone used the charger at exposition park/ california Science Center? I know back in May they had this big news event with Mayor Antonie Villargosa and etc. over there...but today I check the status of that charger is offline...Already? Don't tell me they installed that just for show?

I actually plan to visit the Natural History Museum tomorrow Tuesday and planned to check out the stations there. I have been there before and they were working. We shall see.

Finally made my first road trip, thanks to Chargepoint. It was a two day holiday last Thurs-Fri. I did my homework, spot checking the Chargepoint site showed that the LB chargers tended to be available on a week days. If that failed, I was fairly confident I could get up to Fashion Island to charge without HAVING to charge in LB, that would hobble me for side trips, but at least I had a backup plan. First charged up at home to 100%, then reprogrammed the timer for all day, 80% since that would be adequate until just before heading back home. One bobble as my 17yo daughters both objected to taking the LEAF ("no WAY are we taking the LEAF, we'll get stranded")...luckily they didn't get to make that decision. ;)

Drove 62 miles to Laguna Beach in the morning, with the LEAF reporting 4.1 mpk. Both LB Chargepoints were free, and I plugged in for about 3 hours while we walked the art festival, shopped and walked the beach. Unplugged and ran up to Fashion Island for shopping and dinner (Traveling with 3 females, shopping is popular). Both Chargepoints were available there as well, so I plugged in and got topped up to 80%. Off to the Marriot Bayview in Newport Beach to check in. They had indicated over the phone that they could let me plug in, and I verified the details at the desk...Of course they had forgotten that I'd asked about it, but a little checking by the desk clerk and all was set.

After a little down time, it was back to Laguna Beach for the Pageant. This time I found both chargers occupied, but I was half expecting that and the charge from earlier was plenty to see me back to the hotel, so we found parking (quite a ways away, but the walk was good for us) and enjoyed the show. Next time I'll take binoculars, though. back to the hotel at about 11PM. By now I was down to 4 bars, so I definitely wanted an overnight charge. I could have managed without it, but it would have limited my options the next day, and required a longer than I would like charge session before heading home. They had put a cone out for me in a space next to the employee entrance (the associate of the month had to park elsewhere that night, I guess). There was a plug next to the entrance. Luckily I had my extension cord with me...saved me finding someone to ask for one. I placed the cone on top of the cord since to people and went to bed.

I got my "Charge Stopped" at 80% by the next morning at 7:30AM. So, it was off to Balboa Island for sightseeing and shopping. Got over to South Coast Plaza around 1PM with 7 bars. Went to the Nordstrom garage to the three "valet parking" charge points (despite the designation, you can drive right past the valet and self-park there). I found found a Volt charging at the right hand one, so tried the middle and, as others have reported, it won't unlock the J1772 handle (gotta remember to write Chargepoint about that). Moved over to the left one, and reprogrammed the timer so I could get 100% for the 73 mile drive home. Shopped and had lunch, and shopped some more and finally around 4:30PM got the notification that the charge was complete.

We left there, grabbed some dinner, then headed home. The distance was close to full range at 60mph, and I had set a contingency to drop into Mossy Oceanside, if I didn't have two pretty full bars when I reached the 78. I kept it at 60mph or just above, plus hitting a little 45mph traffic getting through the 405/5 merge. My passengers joked that the traffic was a lucky break. :p I reached the decision point with two full bars and 25 miles showing on the guess-o-meter and 21 to go. I breezed by the 78 turn off and made it home, getting the first battery low warning about two miles from the house. The trip did much to endear the car to my wife and worry wart daughters. The final numbers came in at 192 miles covered and a 4.2mpk average..all-in-all a successful trip.

It really drove home the practicality of this car, especially if the charging infrastructure is there. Since I was able to plug in at all my major stops, I had zero range issues. I dashed off a thank you note to the LB mayors office, and will also send them to the hotel manager and the two malls. I think it's important to express gratitude in these early stages. In the past, a lot of stations went unused so I feel it's important to let them know that's not the case now.

I've been in contact with Chargepoint, Preston Kilman
Director, Customer Service & Field Operations
408-841-4564, and they're excuse for the EVSE at Exposition Park is:
Almost two weeks ago, we contacted the LADWP concerning the disposition of the charging stations at Exposition Park and were told the individual responsible is currently on vacation. We left another message and will continue to follow up until this gets resolved.

Coulomb does not own any of the stations on the ChargePoint Network.  We (and other companies like Siemens and Leviton) manufacture ChargePoint networked charging stations and sell them to "Hosts"   (like LADWP).  Hosts install the ChargePoint stations and set the access policies and pricing for their stations.  Coulomb operates the ChargePoint Network, provides the real time station information to drivers,  and collects access fees on behalf of Hosts.  When we get a request for a station from a driver like yourself we pass it along to the potential hosts in the area.

In addition to Coulomb contacting the appropriate potential hosts we encourage you to contact businesses and public entities directly with your request.

There you go... :x

BTW, I don't bother with 80% charging. There are too few EVSEs around.... :cool:

davewill said:
Moved over to the left one, and overrode the timer so I could get 100% for the 73 mile drive home.
Just a caution: It would be better to turn off the timer in the center console rather than overriding it with the switch by the door. If the charging were to be interrupted for some reason (power failure, someone unplugged the car) the override would be gone and the timer would stop the charging at 80%. Or, worse, not even restart if it has a limited time range.

It can happen -- I'm pretty sure it happened to me at a Nissan dealer.

Ray

planet4ever said:
davewill said:
Moved over to the left one, and overrode the timer so I could get 100% for the 73 mile drive home.
Just a caution: It would be better to turn off the timer in the center console rather than overriding it with the switch by the door. If the charging were to be interrupted for some reason (power failure, someone unplugged the car) the override would be gone and the timer would stop the charging at 80%. Or, worse, not even restart if it has a limited time range.

Agreed! I was at the local science museum for the day on Saturday and checking my charging notifications, my car was unplugged/plugged in three times throughout the day. I'm glad others are interested and checking it out, but definitely reminded me of why I don't use Leaf timers. :D

planet4ever said:
davewill said:
Just a caution: It would be better to turn off the timer in the center console rather than overriding it with the switch by the door...
That's what I actually did. I just didn't explain in detail. (now fixed)

DarkStar said:
planet4ever said:
davewill said:

Agreed! I was at the local science museum for the day on Saturday and checking my charging notifications, my car was unplugged/plugged in three times throughout the day. I'm glad others are interested and checking it out, but definitely reminded me of why I don't use Leaf timers. :D

How RUDE! I'll be happy to demonstrate how it works if I'm nearby, but to go up to someone's car and start #@($'ing with it without permission will bring down some wrath.

z0ner said:
How RUDE! I'll be happy to demonstrate how it works if I'm nearby, but to go up to someone's car and start #@($'ing with it without permission will bring down some wrath.
Since it is a public charging station, I would normally expect someone to unplug my vehicle if they need to plug in (as my EV Charger Sharing Protocol card indicated :D), so I'm okay with it.

z0ner said:

Totally. But that's one reason I have my combo locks. Sure it could do damage if someone was really determined to get the nozzle off AND it would stop someone from unplugging you if they needed to charge and it was beyond the time indicated on your protocol card. But, of course, by looking at the protocol card they could also see a phone number where one could be reached to come unlock it.

mwalsh said:
Totally. But that's one reason I have my combo locks. Sure it could do damage if someone was really determined to get the nozzle off AND it would stop someone from unplugging you if they needed to charge and it was beyond the time indicated on your protocol card. But, of course, by looking at the protocol card they could also see a phone number where one could be reached to come unlock it.
You lock the public J1772s? I noticed the Chargepoints had the same hole for the lock, but I'd never have the cheek to actually lock it to my car.

I went today to park at Exposition Park/Calif. Science Center. Cost is $10. Not free for EV. I went to the 2 stations side by side by the elevators in the top, open air part of the parking structure. Both were free of ICE cars. No EVs were charging. I tried both Chargepoint EVSEs. Both worked fine and began to charge our LEAF, no problem. Chargepoint card is not required here. Just pull out the J1772 from its holder and plug in. I thought I had heard there were other stations on level B or maybe level C of the structure but we cruised both levels and I did not see them. If anyone locates more stations in this structure, please post here. The stations still do not have good ground markings or signage but I have posted elsewhere about this.
We plugged in, posted our protocol placard and had a great morning at Expo Park, checking out the Dino exhibit at Natural History. We caught an episode of NCIS filming by the rose garden. They were gathered round the "body" by the roots of one of the big trees. They were all there...Gibbs, Ducky, Zeva, deNozo, et al. Naturally, we got lots of pictures. LA natives but we can still be star struck, especially for our favorite show!
PS There is a small parking lot adjacent to the Natural History Museum that is accessed off of Exposition Blvd. They charge $8 but the EVSE they used to have in the old days is gone. The parking guy said no EVSE there. :cry:

Kat

davewill said:
You lock the public J1772s? I noticed the Chargepoints had the same hole for the lock, but I'd never have the cheek to actually lock it to my car.

If that unplugging and plugging sh*t is going to be going on...damn right I'd lock the handle of a public charger to my car. Like I said, the protocol card has my phone number, if anyone wants to see me about it.

Thanks for the Exposition Park update... I have been getting the usual crap from Chargepoint. It looks like the EVSE is powered up, just not on the network. I have sweet-talked the parking attendant to let me drive through without paying...
:cool:

TangoKilo said:
Thanks for the Exposition Park update... I have been getting the usual crap from Chargepoint. It looks like the EVSE is powered up, just not on the network. I have sweet-talked the parking attendant to let me drive through without paying...
:cool:

I tried the sweet talk. It worked once but did not work today!

Back