Changes to the 24 month LEAF lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meister

Hi from the LEAF Meister,

Since March of this year Nissan North America has reduced the residual value of the 2013 LEAF by 5% points on a 24 month lease.
This coupled with changes, both up and down, in the money factor has had the effect of raising the monthly payment roughly $150 per month plus tax.

I read the recent article in the Wall Street Journal, in effect proclaiming the LEAF to be essentially a free car. I guess free is free at $200 per month or $350 per month but I like FREE as cheaply as I can get it.

Hey I know what everyone who has driven the LEAF knows this is an incredible deal and I fear it will not last for long.

So say the Meister

Meister said:

Since March of this year Nissan North America has reduced the residual value of the 2013 LEAF by 5% points on a 24 month lease.
This coupled with changes, both up and down, in the money factor has had the effect of raising the monthly payment roughly $150 per month plus tax.
Do you know the exact residual & MF (for 12k miles, for eg) ?

Meister said:

I read the recent article in the Wall Street Journal, in effect proclaiming the LEAF to be essentially a free car. I guess free is free at $200 per month or $350 per month but I like FREE as cheaply as I can get it.

Hey I know what everyone who has driven the LEAF knows this is an incredible deal and I fear it will not last for long.

So say the Meister

Could I have a clearer explanation of this? I leased a 2013 SV in May, and since I'm paying $149 a month now, with about $1500 down plus tax, I'm pretty sure it wasn't $0.00 per month either before or after that date. I know the Money Factor is the effective interest rate, so what's all this mean, in plain English?

LeftieBiker said:
Could I have a clearer explanation of this? I leased a 2013 SV in May, and since I'm paying $149 a month now, with about $1500 down plus tax, I'm pretty sure it wasn't $0.00 per month either before or after that date. I know the Money Factor is the effective interest rate, so what's all this mean, in plain English?
I believe that the implication is that after factoring the savings from not buying fuel it is like having the car at no cost

apvbguy said:
LeftieBiker said:
I believe that the implication is that after factoring the savings from not buying fuel it is like having the car at no cost

Thanks. I don't travel nearly enough for that, and the savings is compared to a Prius, not a typical ICE. I'm driving a Leaf because I want to drive an EV, and one that is comfortable, sporty, and practical. I'm basically paying to lower my carbon footprint and to help promote EVs as a practical mode of transportation.

Back