CARWINGS Ends December 31st 2016

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CARWINGS requires a compatible 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network provided by AT&T. 2G cellular network is not available in all areas and/or available at all times. Cellular technology is evolving, and changes to cellular networks provided by independent companies are not within Nissan's control. Like other devices that rely on 2G network coverage, once the 2G network is terminated, CARWINGS will not function unless equipment replacements, upgrades, or alternative 2G network coverage are available at that time, which Nissan cannot guarantee. Nissan not responsible for associated costs that may be required for continued CARWINGS operation due to cellular network termination (including equipment upgrades, if available, or roaming charges on alternative networks).

https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/faq

stevecook said:
CARWINGS requires a compatible 2G GSM/GPRS cellular network provided by AT&T. 2G cellular network is not available in all areas and/or available at all times. Cellular technology is evolving, and changes to cellular networks provided by independent companies are not within Nissan's control. Like other devices that rely on 2G network coverage, once the 2G network is terminated, CARWINGS will not function unless equipment replacements, upgrades, or alternative 2G network coverage are available at that time, which Nissan cannot guarantee. Nissan not responsible for associated costs that may be required for continued CARWINGS operation due to cellular network termination (including equipment upgrades, if available, or roaming charges on alternative networks).

https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/faq

We know that. The question is this: is Nissan planning some alternative or upgrade to sell or give us? That will certainly impact whether people on leases buy or turn in cars at the end of the lease not to mention general goodwill.

Moof said:
Presently my 11 year old truck has a useless tape player, and a near useless CD player (used about 3-4 years ago at best).

If it works, it's not useless. A cassette adapter means it can be used with anything with a headphone jack. I wish the stock radio on my 2003 Altima had it, as I later added Sirius radio but had to go with a wired FM modulator (wireless ones work terribly in the LA area).

CD player is a different story. I have NEVER used the one in the Leaf in the 32 months I have had it.

I have not been able to connect since January 27, here. I was trying to see if there was a "2G Sunset" status map online, but so far I have not found a good one. There may be some other issue, but if not "RIP Carwings" (unless there's a hardware replacement available this year)

Mine is slow but it does work still. Both at work and home (only 3 miles apart!). Not sure what to think of 'losing' this feature in 10 months. I like it. I wish it were faster (more responsive). But I don't know if I'd pay much to keep it going?! Kinda like XM radio. Sure it's nice, I use it sometimes, but i use other sources for music that do not cost a monthly fee as well. Of course I say that and will probably try to negotiate a cheaper XM subscription in a month! YMMV

jamieo said:
I have not been able to connect since January 27, here. I was trying to see if there was a "2G Sunset" status map online, but so far I have not found a good one. There may be some other issue, but if not "RIP Carwings" (unless there's a hardware replacement available this year)

This is probably a different issue. Nissan changed the API that their APP and web page uses so that 3rd party apps no longer work (at least until they are udpated). See the end of this thread: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2214

The official app and web page do continue to work, but yes, the 3rd party apps (such as LeafManager) stopped working around that time.

Yep leaf notification had to be updated. It works again. I wish we could set up a nano site 2g radio in the car to get it to connect to then leave a freedom pop phone in the car powered up. 2g to wifi to phone to free lte and your golden. Far far beyond my means to figure that out. Really pussed the cat has no wifi as thst would solve the problem nicely. 500mb data is plenty a month for checking charge and turning on the hvac etc..

I preheat it in winter with Carwings sometimes, but I can live without that. It is not as reliable doing that now. Perhaps 70% of the time it works. I also send destinations to the car from Gmail sometimes. I'll miss that feature, although I don't use it as much as I used to. I won't be spending the money to upgrade to new hardware or a data plan.

hybridbear said:
What is the cost for pre-2015 Leafs to have the 3G modem installed?
Word on the street is $199.
More activity on this subject at the end of this thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21573

LeftieBiker said:
Wannabeleafowner said:
SO do I understand the last two posts correctly in that this doesn't affect 2015 and later cars...eg my new 2016???

Yes. This is an issue for 2011-2013 and maybe 2014 Leafs only.

Well it affects 2015 LEAFs, but the upgrade is free for those. But you do still have to take it in to have the service performed.

I'm still struggling with why do we have to pay for their mistake and front the $199 to fix something that should be under the factory warranty?

I'm still under it, and so is all my electronics, etc.. Why should I pay when they made the GRAND mistake of putting in a 2g unit at the time when everything was 3g :roll:

This is why Nissan fails pretty much at everything customer relationship wise.

I agree 100% with the comment by Jason A. So...goodby and good riddance to carwings. Another slap in the face by Nissan for those of us who purchased the earlier (1911-12) models. Since we now have choices in BEV automobiles, I have purchased my last Nissan product.

JasonA said:
I'm still struggling with why do we have to pay for their mistake and front the $199 to fix something that should be under the factory warranty?

I'm still under it, and so is all my electronics, etc.. Why should I pay when they made the GRAND mistake of putting in a 2g unit at the time when everything was 3g :roll:
Re: factory warranty, well, there's nothing I saw in the warranty booklet to indicate it should be covered by anything beyond my expired 3 year/36K basic warranty.

It's not really a defect in materials or workmanship, I don't think. It still works, just the radio bands it supports will go away... :/

But yes. It is odd they chose to not use 3G at debut time as 3G phones had been shipping in the US for several years already. And, they continued to do this thru model year 2015!

Back