Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, with full intentions to call Nissan I happened to receive a call from a Nissan Leaf representative in response to some less than stellar survey responses I had sent in recently about dealer service, and I figured while I had him on the phone I'd file a request for a buy back again. I was met with resistance at first, the gentleman told me he was not supposed to file such requests a second time. After insisting that I wanted to file a second claim and being put on hold to get permission they agreed, albeit with the firm suggestion that the result would be expected to be the same.

Has anyone had a buy back recently?

^^^
I personally kinda doubt they'd be as open to a buyback now, given that there's a capacity warranty. Good luck.

Here's hoping that you'll lose the 4th bar before the warranty expires for you.

surfingslovak said:
Mike could you please upload to Flickr, PhotoBucket, Picasa or any of the many free photo sharing sites. Then includes a link in your post here.

I can't remember the one I used. It's something like tinypics.com. This is one of the few that needs no account/registration.

ChinaDad said:
TimLee said:
ChinaDad said:
Also this dealer said they had no loaners even though the Nissan warranty statement says a certified dealer should supply loaner cars for up to 36K miles. Of course hasn't been a problem for me since I can walk across the street.
Need to be sure you're talking about the capacity bars on the far right.
New would have been 12, all the time.
When did it drop to 11, mileage and months of service?
When did it drop to 10, mileage and months of service?
Or did you buy it used, with only 10 capacity bars? If so, mileage and how many months of service from the manufacture date which is on a sticker at the driver's door? I think it just gives month and year, but data from the Nissan order system show that my LEAF was manufactured the day before the tsunami.
Similar mileage / months of service info needed for when the capacity bars dropped to only 6.
Also, has the vehicle had the first and /or second annual 12 months of service battery test that is done free of charge? What did the cryptic report show for each?

Thanks Tim. I am hopeful the software update fixed it. I charging now. I will send a photo of dashboard if it doesn't. Thanks.

Mike
Mike, please post pics, as requested.

It sounds like you're confused about the various displays and the purpose of the update. You not answering TimLee's questions doesn't help.

Please also provide pics showing the 6 and the 10 capacity bars, as you stated. If you don't have them, please provide one where you've circled/highlighted what you're referring to.

We're spinning our wheels and having to guess w/o the pictures, which is not productive.

surfingslovak said:
Mike could you please upload to Flickr, PhotoBucket, Picasa or any of the many free photo sharing sites. Then include a link in your post here.
Actually, many if not most ISPs provide web space as a part of your internet connection. Since I use Windows, I just open a Windows Explorer window and point it at my space (using an ftp name my ISP specifies), then drag and drop the photo there. I know AT&T, Verizon, and Charter all provide web space.

Ray

ChinaDad said:
Well, I have 12 bars back. I cannot figure out how to attach a photo, really wish I could. My battery is still not charging to the full extent as it did just 6 weeks ago. It charged (using 100% charge) to show 85 miles available in D mode (94 miles in ECO). This could be even worse for me because if my capacity bars stay above 9 there is no special warranty. I have lost between 15 to 20 miles in range!

Do you think there is something else wrong?

Mike
If you are determining vehicle range based on the number of miles displayed on the dash, then you are being misled. The number of miles on the dash is lovingly known here as the guess-o-meter, you may see people using GOM for short.

The LEAF bases its estimated miles to empty based on recent driving. So if you drive on the interstate the miles on the dash will fall but the true range of the vehicle is as it was always. If you drive very conservatively the number of miles estimated will go up. Once again the actual battery capacity and real world range is the same.

If you've done much driving recently at 65 mph or above, a GOM reading of 90 miles at 100% charge isn't that unusual. Nothing to be concerned about.

Search here for 'range chart' which will show you better estimates of range dependent upon average speed. Use the dashboard controls to display your efficiency expressed in miles/kWH, use the range chart to estimate miles based on that figure and it should be reasonably close to what you can expect from the vehicle. The range chart is great while your not driving, while driving I estimate my vehicles remaining range by assuming between 5-7 miles per fuel bar and ignore the miles to empty readout.

You indicate that all your capacity bars are back. This is great. You also say you charged to 100%. Could you perchance be confusing the fuel bars with capacity bars? That may explain why you are accustomed to 10 bars if you typically charge to 80%. Fuel bars and capacity bars are very different. Fuel bars are long thin bars and are adjacent to the miles remaining readout. Capacity bars are small oblong bars to the right of the longer thin fuel bars.

JP,

Thanks. I understand difference in capacity bars and the others. I have has Leaf for 18 months. That is why I know something has changed. Yes interstate driving, driving in D versus ECO and running heater can all reduce miles from what is shown on the range display. However, until about a few weeks ago a full, 7 hour charge would reveal 112 miles for ECO before moving Leaf. Now about 94 is best. While I would never get 112 miles I will not get 94 miles either. My true range has been reduced but who knows if the reason will ever be found.

I user to love my Leaf, not so much now.

ChinaDad said:
JP,

Thanks. I understand difference in capacity bars and the others. I have has Leaf for 18 months. That is why I know something has changed. Yes interstate driving, driving in D versus ECO and running heater can all reduce miles from what is shown on the range display. However, until about a few weeks ago a full, 7 hour charge would reveal 112 miles for ECO before moving Leaf. Now about 94 is best. While I would never get 112 miles I will not get 94 miles either. My true range has been reduced but who knows if the reason will ever be found.

I user to love my Leaf, not so much now.

Probably something has gone awry with your vehicle then. As Tim said, try another dealer. Capacity bars shouldn't come and go like you describe.

TonyWilliams said:
ChinaDad said:
Well, I have 12 bars back. I cannot figure out how to attach a photo, really wish I could. My battery is still not charging to the full extent as it did just 6 weeks ago. It charged (using 100% charge) to show 85 miles available in D mode (94 miles in ECO). This could be even worse for me because if my capacity bars stay above 9 there is no special warranty. I have lost between 15 to 20 miles in range!

Mike

I think what's wrong is that you aren't describing the situation accurately.

PLEASE TAKE A PICTURE OF THE DASH NOW.

That way, we can stop trying to guess what you mean.

null-1.jpg

Looks perfectly "normal" to me. In fact, better than mine looked at 24,000 miles (bearing in mind that the Guess O Meter is pure horse-puckey).

Edit: came back to put normal in quotes. Because, honestly, who really knows what should be normal at this stage. Well, Nissan should, not that they'd tell us if they did. :?

ChinaDad said:

Mike

You might want to put some air in your tires. I see an orange tire pressure warning.

Min 36psi, many here recommend 40psi for better mileage.

As you say all your capacity bars now look normal. Did you get a photo of the dash when there were just 6 capacity bars? That would be good to show the dealer. An intermittent fault is the hardest to trace.

ChinaDad said:

Mike

I work just down the street from you (within a couple of miles), if you want a neutral 3rd party to look at it I'd be happy to pull data from your car to see if we can tell what is going on.

Our LeafDD has arrived, and after 3 car charges to 100%, it has settled on the following data. The main observation is that perceived reduction in range since the much cooler January temperatures is now paralleled by a drop in Gids from 258 to 228.

Page 1
228 Gid, 82.0F

Page 2
Temps: 28.0, 27.3, 26.9, 26.4
S 93.1317, C 54.9400, H 79.6
Batt 13.0, DD Temp 167
Volts 394.0

Page 3
High Cell Volts 4.117, Avg 4.109, Low 4.097
High Cell # 9, Low 22

Car Display
6 Temperature Bars, 12 Charge Bars, 12 Capacity Bars

TonyWilliams said:
You still have all 12 capacity bars at 54.94 ampHours?
Yes, but with most our 80% charges resulting in 9 charge bars, I have been expecting to loose a bar anytime soon. I wanted to get these details recorded before our 2nd annual battery check and software update.

HighDesertDriver said:
TonyWilliams said:
Yes, but with most our 80% charges resulting in 9 charge bars, I have been expecting to loose a bar anytime soon. I wanted to get these details recorded before our 2nd annual battery check and software update.

I expect you will lose a capacity bar soon, too. We thought we had the holy grail of 55.25ah as the threshold, and you just proved our guesses wrong.

Oh well, we're on the right track, however. Please record all the data when you do lose that bar.

Tony

HighDesertDriver said:
TonyWilliams said:

There were reports of getting consistent 9/80 phenomenon and still not losing a bar for more than 6 months. I'm in the same camp of "expectant CB losers" :) 31k miles, same delivery date as yours.

Valdemar said:
There were reports of getting consistent 9/80 phenomenon and still not losing a bar for more than 6 months. I'm in the same camp of "expectant CB losers" :) 31k miles, same delivery date as yours.

Me too. Though I've a few less miles. But my car is also 8 months older. Hoping it doesn't happen before I can get kitted up with the LEAF app (should be good to go on Friday).

Hmm...actually, I'm hoping it happens much, much later than that! ;)

TonyWilliams said:
HighDesertDriver said:
TonyWilliams said:
I expect you will lose a capacity bar soon, too. We thought we had the holy grail of 55.25ah as the threshold, and you just proved our guesses wrong.
Any thoughts on if this Ah capacity figure may be adjusted to reflect some aspect of pack temperature(s)? With more people getting the capability to monitor battery "health", perhaps we will soon have some new insights.

Back