Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spooka said:
cwerdna said:
^^^
Which has even less info about the warranty than the announcement at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11043" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

The forum and the topic is so monstrous, it is hard to keep up with where and when new info is being added. Thanks for catching me up.
Agreed. I fortunately (?) seem to spend a lot of time here and mainly use the View active topics link at the top.

I'd imagine if I went away for a few weeks and came back, I'd have missed a lot of interesting/important info/discussion.

cwerdna said:
I'd imagine if I went away for a few weeks and came back, I'd have missed a lot of interesting/important info/discussion.

Yup. I was pretty much off the board for two weeks over the Hoildays and there was 8 pages of stuff just by clicking View New Posts, and that didn't even cover all I'd missed -- I had to go with View Active Topics after that!

Well crap, so there was a big meeting with Nissan out in Scottsdale,I had no idea until I saw the story on Ch. 5 tonight.. I guess I need to hang out here more often to get updates..I would love to do a face to face with a Nissan Leaf exec. over the cover up thet thay are doing with our AZ. Leafs..

The warranty will only correct the battery loss back to 9 of the 12 bars :eek: Nice warranty ,they will only do a parcial fix hoping that the warranty will run out after the first fix..

They also said the lawsuit has been settled ?????? I thought there were a number of them against Nissan..

If there are any Leaf lawsuits and someone needs a witness Ill fly out of state to participate..My Leaf is 99.9% free of freeway driving, no fast charges and kept in a garage...It loss 2 bars and 25 miles of capacity in one summer even after driving it very slowwwww..(6.1 KW/M)...

I turned my car in this afternoon at ABC Nissan in Phoenix. Got my check and drove it straight to the bank. Went out to dinner as today is also my birthday, and then settled in a few minutes ago to read the latest in the "Phoenix Town Hall Meeting" thread. Yikes! Ingineer thinks that the degradation may not really be as bad as we think? :eek: Oy, made me want to reach for the phone and see if I could get my Leaf back.

Seriously, it is a relief to get out from under it, but at the same time a huge disappointment to let it go. We truly loved the car and can't wait to get back to an EV. I hope Ingineer is right and the Leaf eventually proves viable in Phoenix. I would love to be able to go back to recommending it to my co-workers - something I haven't been able to do for a long time.

panasoniccells
Congrats, Kelly, and best wishes. It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out. I have a lot of respect for Phil, but I'm bit surprised that we have to go through the same discussion for the nth time.

leafkabob said:
I turned my car in this afternoon at ABC Nissan in Phoenix. Got my check and drove it straight to the bank. Went out to dinner as today is also my birthday, and then settled in a few minutes ago to read the latest in the "Phoenix Town Hall Meeting" thread. Yikes! Ingineer thinks that the degradation may not really be as bad as we think? :eek: Oy, made me want to reach for the phone and see if I could get my Leaf back.

Seriously, it is a relief to get out from under it, but at the same time a huge disappointment to let it go. We truly loved the car and can't wait to get back to an EV. I hope Ingineer is right and the Leaf eventually proves viable in Phoenix. I would love to be able to go back to recommending it to my co-workers - something I haven't been able to do for a long time.

Congrats, I'm glad you were able to get out of it like I was. I think we need to start keeping a log of how many they buy back. We could add it to the wiki page. I know the local news people would like to know how many have been repurchased. I hope that eventually Nissan will do the right thing and buy them all back in AZ. Especially people who purchased (like me) and didn't lease.

TonyWilliams said:
leafkabob said:
I turned my car in this afternoon at ABC Nissan in Phoenix. Got my check and drove it straight to the bank.

Congrats. Another "Tempe 12" goes home to Nissan. How many are left?

Congrats and happy birthday, Kelly!

I think mine will be one of the last "Tempe 12". It was a "control" car that had a crappy GID count after 2 months of ownership. We have 1-1/2 years remaining on the 2-year lease. After meeting Rolf, I really want a Model S :D

Swapped my purchased 11 bar 2011 Leaf today for a new leased 2012. It was not a buyout. After filing with BBB I worked for 3 months with NNA Dispute Resolutions Programs. They wanted me to wait for the warranty announcement, which I did but it did not assuage my concerns. They contacted my dealer and arranged for special pricing, but I did not find it satisfactory. They contacted my dealer again and set up a package that I could accept, so I want to acknowledge that they did work with me to an agreeable conclusion. The sales woman and finance officer at the dealer both stated that in all their years they have never before seen NNA directly intervene on the details of a transaction.

DesertDenizen said:
Swapped my purchased 11 bar 2011 Leaf today for a new leased 2012. It was not a buyout. After filing with BBB I worked for 3 months with NNA Dispute Resolutions Programs. They wanted me to wait for the warranty announcement, which I did but it did not assuage my concerns. They contacted my dealer and arranged for special pricing, but I did not find it satisfactory. They contacted my dealer again and set up a package that I could accept, so I want to acknowledge that they did work with me to an agreeable conclusion. The sales woman and finance officer at the dealer both stated that in all their years they have never before seen NNA directly intervene on the details of a transaction.
congrats and happy that all worked great for you

DesertDenizen said:
Congratulations, hope you enjoy the new leased 2012. Too bad Nissan didn't take care of this sooner and avoid all the bad PR.

Stoaty said:
DesertDenizen said:
Congratulations, hope you enjoy the new leased 2012. Too bad Nissan didn't take care of this sooner and avoid all the bad PR.

Hello Nissan : You should do this for every Leaf driver in AZ.

Until they actually do something to rectify the problem, all they are doing is kicking the can down the road anyway, so what real long-term difference does it make (unless you have a shorter term lease)...
It's fixing the symptom, not the cause.

KJD said:

TomT said:
Until they actually do something to rectify the problem, all they are doing is kicking the can down the road anyway, so what real long-term difference does it make (unless you have a shorter term lease)...
KJD said:
If you own the car like I do, it would make a big difference.

If you had a 39 month lease and wanted to convert it to a new car with a 24 month lease it would make a big difference.

The battery issue becomes Nissans problem and NOT the customers problem.

wiltingleaf said:
Congrats, I'm glad you were able to get out of it like I was. I think we need to start keeping a log of how many they buy back. We could add it to the wiki page. I know the local news people would like to know how many have been repurchased. I hope that eventually Nissan will do the right thing and buy them all back in AZ. Especially people who purchased (like me) and didn't lease.

From the Phoenix range test, I think only shrink, TickTock and GerryAZ are now left.

Color/
Last 3
of VIN

Red429 - She was at the Phoenix town hall meeting, but I don't know if she is still driving

Blue494 - Early lease termination, fees reimbursed by Nissan

Blue534 - Nissan buy back

White530 - Nissan buy back

White272 - ????

Red500 - Nissan buy back

White626 - Still driving (purchase?)

Blue842 - Still driving on 24 month lease

Silver679 - Still driving (purchase?)

Blue917 - Nissan buy back?

Black782 - Traded at Toyota dealer for Rav4 EV
Blue744 - Nissan buy back to purchase Ford Focus EV

Nissan LEAF Town Hall Meeting - Battery Capacity Reduction & Warranty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuPQe23vP0Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My point is that Nissan is not actually doing anything to correct the problem, just hiding the symptoms and results...

KJD said:
TomT said:
KJD said:
If you own the car like I do, it would make a big difference.
If you had a 39 month lease and wanted to convert it to a new car with a 24 month lease it would make a big difference.
The battery issue becomes Nissans problem and NOT the customers problem.

TomT said:
My point is that Nissan is not actually doing anything to correct the problem, just hiding the symptoms and results...
caplossmnl

Agreed, although they are at least carrying some of the economic implications and risk trough the capacity warranty now. Andy mentioned at the Town Hall that there was a tweak to the chemistry of the battery, but he was very non-specific. I don't want to speculate about it, but someone else mentioned NEC and how addition of an organic sulfur compound to the electrolyte can result in better cycle life. NEC is Nissan's partner in the AESC joint venture.

TomT said:

Just to be persnickety, It's true Nissan haven't *done* anything technically to deal with hot climate issues. But I'm willing to hazard a guess they are doing something behind the scenes to come up with a longer term engineering fix going forward. Whether that be a more durable chemistry, TMS or both we can speculate all day long, but I doubt they aren't doing anything.

In the meantime they've put a short term workaround in place by underwriting the battery capacity. One hopes if by the time the average LEAF owner reaches 60,000 miles they have a fix.

Back