Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No matter how great a design is, there is a random element to manufacturing that will result in a certain amount of dpm (defects per million). A single sighting of an issue does not necessarily mean there is a flaw in the design - there are always lemons. This is why one or two early battery replacements does not mean Nissan knew about the issue - they probably thought these were such anomalies. Only until the recent wave of reports came in of multiple bar loss would they have really had to accept the fact that maybe there really is an issue that needs to be addressed. They have consistently said that there would be some initial loss and then that loss would slow. Apparently 1 bar in a year was expected - not so much 2. This is consistent with their interest specifically in the cars that have lost two or more bars for detailed study. I personally find all these speculative accusations and talk of fraud distasteful and serves no useful purpose. Give Nissan some time. Diagnosis of issues arising during high volume manufacturing cannot happen in one or two weeks - it's can easily take months.

TickTock said:
No matter how great a design is, there is a random element to manufacturing that will result in a certain amount of dpm (defects per million). A single sighting of an issue does not necessarily mean there is a flaw in the design - there are always lemons. This is why one or two early battery replacements does not mean Nissan knew about the issue - they probably thought these were such anomalies. Only until the recent wave of reports came in of multiple bar loss would they have really had to accept the fact that maybe there really is an issue that needs to be addressed. They have consistently said that there would be some initial loss and then that loss would slow. Apparently 1 bar in a year was expected - not so much 2. This is consistent with their interest specifically in the cars that have lost two or more bars for detailed study. I personally find all these speculative accusations and talk of fraud distasteful and serves no useful purpose. Give Nissan some time. Diagnosis of issues arising during high volume manufacturing cannot happen in one or two weeks - it's can easily take months.

Great response. Thank you.

TickTock said:

Agreed.

BTW, TickTock, are you still tracking your gid count?

I'm wondering what the chart you posted earlier looks like now, including the last few months, and with the bar losses indicated.

TickTock said:
This is why one or two early battery replacements does not mean Nissan knew about the issue - they probably thought these were such anomalies. Only until the recent wave of reports came in of multiple bar loss would they have really had to accept the fact that maybe there really is an issue that needs to be addressed.
Yes, but when owners are taking their cars in for any maintenance or check ups, certainly Nissan is getting vast amount of details directly from the car. That with corresponding carwings data it would seem they know/knew. Big company with a lot of resources so certainly they've been analyzing this data for at least a year.

scottf200 said:
so certainly they've been analyzing this data for at least a year.

I disagree. A year ago the oldest car was 6 months old and there were only about 3000 on the road in the USA (the vast majority under 2 months old). It has only been since about the end of June that they have had a significant number of vehicles in for the one year checkup. So really they have only had the information a few weeks.

PlugInMonthlySales.png

palmermd said:
scottf200 said:
so certainly they've been analyzing this data for at least a year.
I disagree. A year ago the oldest car was 6 months old and there were only about 3000 on the road in the USA (the vast majority under 2 months old). It has only been since about the end of June that they have had a significant number of vehicles in for the one year checkup. So really they have only had the information a few weeks.
So maybe not a year here in the USA but certainly several months. Plus I suspect when other maintenance or issues are being taking care of they hook them up to get the data for Nissan.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/assets/An%20open%20letter%20to%20Nissan%20LEAF%20owners%20from%20Carla%20Bailo_FINAL.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also, data received globally from other LEAF vehicles shows that this condition typically occurs...
As well they have global data that started early than the USA deliveries.

scottf200 said:
Yes, but when owners are taking their cars in for any maintenance or check ups, certainly Nissan is getting vast amount of details directly from the car. That with corresponding carwings data it would seem they know/knew.

You are assuming too much..

TickTock said:
They have consistently said that there would be some initial loss and then that loss would slow. Apparently 1 bar in a year was expected - not so much 2.
If 1 bar in first year for hot weather states is expected, then it should have been disclosed to hot weather state customers at the point of sale so buyers can make an informed decision before buying.

A 15% loss in the first year, coupled with a 80% SOC recommendation, is a big deal and could have affected many potential buyers' decision to purchase up front.

The fact that the capacity bars are designed not to be linear initially (first bar is 15% and subsequent 11 bars are 6.25%) means that Nissan knew about this well up front and even designed it into the display to disguise the severity of the initial loss, but chose not to disclose this severe 15% initial loss to customers at the point of sale anyway. It's not documented anywhere in the Owner's Manual. I assume people got this 15% for 1st bar info from the Service Manual (which is not provided to customers), right?

I wouldn't call this fraud, but I certainly find this kind of disguise and non-disclosure from Nissan at the point of sale distasteful.

I'm also a little confused in the math. (6.25% times 11 bars) plus 15% for top bar = 83.75% and not even 100%. Why? Did I miss something?

TickTock said:
edatoakrun said:
BTW, TickTock, are you still tracking your gid count?

I'm wondering what the chart you posted earlier looks like now, including the last few months, and with the bar losses indicated.

I update it daily on GoogleDoc. Link below:

MyCommute

Excellent!

Thanks.

One suggestion.

The kWh range on the vertical axis of the capacity chart is fairly compressed, making it difficult for the viewer to read with precision. Maybe you could revise, for added clarity?

Are you also tracking voltage at 80% and 100%?

How does that look?

TickTock said:

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are making a good-faith effort to understand the phenomenon.

However I simply can't willingly suspend rational thought and it does disappoint me that they are still making noises to the effect that these high rates of degradation are normal. You simply can't create a successful business model with a product that suffers that greatly. Of all the purported "anxieties" surrounding EVs, a major one (perhaps the primary one) is the negative experience that people have had with Lithium batteries in cellphones and laptops. They are familiar with having a battery significantly degraded after a year and needing replacement after two. When they look at $35K car with a potentially $15K battery pack, they get the heebie-jeebies. All they need to hear is that their worst fears are being confirmed in the field. Even if they live in a temperate climate they are just not going to bite. So if Nissan is indeed correct that 15% or even 30% degradation in a year is normal, then their design has a fatal flaw. Explaining that it's "normal" is not going to win any hearts and minds regardless of the veracity of the statement. Roseanne Roseannadanna is not going to say "oh that's different.... never mind...". If it's normal, they need a new normal.

Furthermore, the product was purportedly tested extensively in AZ heat. Were the tests inadequate? Or were the results simply played down at some internal level? Sometimes there is a disconnect between engineers and executives when an inconvenient truth crops up. In any case, whichever way this leans, it reflects poorly on Nissan.

Then there is the issue of the yearly battery check. Even people with high degradation get test results with "5 stars". How do we explain Nissan developing a test that provides exactly ZERO discrimination and gives blue ribbons to even the most problematic batteries? As with the AZ tests we seem to be looking at either incompetence or a sham and neither sits well. And what of the detailed cell results that are sent to Nissan but shielded from our delicate eyes? Did it really take a group of owners kicking and screaming to alert Nissan to a problem? It should not have. Not with volumes of detailed cell reports in hand.

Lastly, I have to agree with other statements that Nissan's reference to the scope of the problem and number of owners affected is insulting, and for the reasons already given.

I really do love my LEAF and want the model and EVs in general to succeed. We as a nation desperately need them to succeed. And so my criticisms stem from enthusiasm and concern. I don't think the cause is helped by looking the other way when Nissan's statements don't pass the sniff test.

Volusiano said:
TickTock said:
They have consistently said that there would be some initial loss and then that loss would slow. Apparently 1 bar in a year was expected - not so much 2.
If 1 bar a year for hot weather states is expected, that should have been disclosed to hot weather state customers at the point of sale so buyers can make an informed decision before buying.

A 15% loss in the first year, coupled with a 80% SOC recommendation, is a big deal and could have affected many potential buyers' decision to purchase up front.

The fact that the capacity bars are designed not to be linear initially (first bar is 15% and subsequent 11 bars are 6.25%) means that Nissan knew about this well up front and even designed it into the display to disguise the severity of the initial loss, but chose not to disclose this severe 15% initial loss to customers at the point of sale anyway.

I wouldn't call this fraud, but I certainly found this kind of disguise and non-disclosure from Nissan at the point of sale distasteful.

I'm also a little confused in the math. (6.25% times 11 bars) plus 15% for top bar = 83.75% and not even 100%. Why? Did I miss something?
I still believe I have full production car and as such was tested for so long, therefore whatever information was given to customers was based on facts. I do not want much just firm word from Nissan that I will have my 70-80% capacity after 8 years and 100KM without worry that is too hot to drive and charge. As with any mass produced car full disclosure should be provided to all customers to make right purchasing decision and level of equipment that should allow car to be used in hot and cold climate like in every other car sold, after all Leaf is competing for market share with all other cars.

Volusiano said:
With 0 capacity bars showing, you should have 16.25% of the capacity left.

RegGuheert said:
Volusiano said:

At that point does it really matter? You've got a car with 5-10 miles range. The car certainly needs some repair work done once you are down to the last capacity bar.

GaslessInSeattle said:
.....With the fears about extreme heat, I'm now also worried about taking the car even into Eastern WA in the summer, where it can get quite hot.....
I'm at about 11 months and haven't seen any issues, but then again I charge L1 only, have 6200 mi and leave the car at 30-50% SOC most of the the time. We've also had a cool Spring and close to an average Summer. Good luck trying to get down here to SE WA. The geographical center of the state (about Wenatchee) is easy to achieve from Seattle, but much beyond that is more difficult or at least requires a 16 hr day or multi-day stay.
Reddy

Nubo said:
TickTock said:

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are making a good-faith effort to understand the phenomenon.

However I simply can't willingly suspend rational thought and it does disappoint me that they are still making noises to the effect that these high rates of degradation are normal. You simply can't create a successful business model with a product that suffers that greatly. Of all the purported "anxieties" surrounding EVs, a major one (perhaps the primary one) is the negative experience that people have had with Lithium batteries in cellphones and laptops. They are familiar with having a battery significantly degraded after a year and needing replacement after two. When they look at $35K car with a potentially $15K battery pack, they get the heebie-jeebies. All they need to hear is that their worst fears are being confirmed in the field. Even if they live in a temperate climate they are just not going to bite. So if Nissan is indeed correct that 15% or even 30% degradation in a year is normal, then their design has a fatal flaw. Explaining that it's "normal" is not going to win any hearts and minds regardless of the veracity of the statement. Roseanne Roseannadanna is not going to say "oh that's different.... never mind...". If it's normal, they need a new normal.

Furthermore, the product was purportedly tested extensively in AZ heat. Were the tests inadequate? Or were the results simply played down at some internal level? Sometimes there is a disconnect between engineers and executives when an inconvenient truth crops up. In any case, whichever way this leans, it reflects poorly on Nissan.

Then there is the issue of the yearly battery check. Even people with high degradation get test results with "5 stars". How do we explain Nissan developing a test that provides exactly ZERO discrimination and gives blue ribbons to even the most problematic batteries? As with the AZ tests we seem to be looking at either incompetence or a sham and neither sits well. And what of the detailed cell results that are sent to Nissan but shielded from our delicate eyes? Did it really take a group of owners kicking and screaming to alert Nissan to a problem? It should not have. Not with volumes of detailed cell reports in hand.

Lastly, I have to agree with other statements that Nissan's reference to the scope of the problem and number of owners affected is insulting, and for the reasons already given.

I really do love my LEAF and want the model and EVs in general to succeed. We as a nation desperately need them to succeed. And so my criticisms stem from enthusiasm and concern. I don't think the cause is helped by looking the other way when Nissan's statements don't pass the sniff test.
Very well said, Nubo!

After all, let's not forget several key things here:

1. Nissan claimed that they've been working on their own battery chemistry for the last 17 years, so they know their battery inside and out.
2. They claimed that they know it SO WELL that they dismissed others' criticism for not having TMS built into the car and said other manufacturers need TMS because they don't know their batteries as well as Nissan knows its own battery. That's how confident they were.
3. They claimed to have extensively tested the battery in AZ.
4. They chose AZ as 1 of the top 5 (or 6? I forgot) Tier1 states to roll out the LEAF to.

Now all of a sudden, it turns out they don't know their battery that well after all???

You betcha they don't pass the sniff test alright!

palmermd said:
RegGuheert said:
Volusiano said:

At that point does it really matter? You've got a car with 5-10 miles range. The car certainly needs some repair work done once you are down to the last capacity bar.

Not necessarily. Nissan might find that "normal" with 5 stars.

Back