Can I buy an extra level 1 charger?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davewill said:
They are also actually different sizes, the 6-20 being a good bit bigger (the diagram doesn't really show that)
I built a 6-20P adapter for charging at the Hertz rental LEAF in the parking garage at the train station in Hamilton NJ. The 6-20P is the same size as a 5-20P; a normal L6-20 is considerably larger diameter (except for a molded L6-20). 6-30 an 6-50 are definitely larger than 6-20.

The answer is YES. I was able to buy a "spare" Nissan L1 charging kit (for my future LEAF) last month from my Nissan dealer in PA, who won't be able to sell me a LEAF for a few months, yet. It appears there are no restrictions on ordering the charging kits.

Dave is correct, if the standard EVSE plug will mate with your socket, even with a funky "T", it's safe. If you have to change your plug it's NOT SAFE!

-Phil

Yes! If you google this part number 296M13NA0A (this is for Level 1) there will be a selection of websites that are able to sell you the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) that comes standard with the Leaf. Be prepared to spend at least $749 + for it though. The cost has gone up 33% in a year. Should you want to upgrade your Level 1 to a Level 2 ( capable of charging at 240V and 120V [if you buy the 120V adapter in order to still be capable of charging on a normal household outlet] ) you can purchase a brand new one or exchange your Level 1 (this is the most cost effective-we did it with ours). The upgraded unit can be a hardwired or plug-in version. It's your choice. Google evse upgrade.

There's a Leviton L1 EVSE at warehousedeals.com for $779 http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-EVC11-300-Evr-Green-Portable-Charger/dp/B004G6ZQYY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&qid=1348705536&s=generic&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OpenEVSE can be built for a lot less if you are handy.

Back