Brodergate: "low-grade ethics violation"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look bottom line, IMHO, Broder is pro XL pipeline, anti EV, wrote damming summations of EV's and Tesla, he's broadly against EV's in general. His Tesla article, released practically on the eve of the president's state of the union address was no doubt designed to help build pressure against future funding of one of the president's darlings, EV's. This is all part of a larger strategy, to help emphasize, IMHO, that XL pipeline is really one of the only viable alternatives, that there is no other viable way to gain independence from foreign oil. In reality of course, the pipeline is mostly about making money, not delivering oil to the US... the pipeline goes straight to our ports. I'd wager a large sum of money that this is exactly why Broder set this trip up to fail, Tesla was getting nothing but glowing reviews and is beginning to show signs of success, a formidable opponent to the ICE industry. It's quite likely the article was a thinly veiled political stab at president Obama and one of many chess pieces being strategically placed to force the pipeline through. there is so much money at stake, it is imaginable to me that the powers that be are in fact this strategic.

Broder either has a big political ax to grind, loves sensationalism or is a shill of some sort or all of the above.

Wait, you forgot; The Man On The Grassy Knoll, MIHOP, Halibuton, Fox News, twin towers inside job (wait, that's MIHOP), fixed Diebold election readers, and 20 ft rising tides.

do you block train?
i block train!
I heard everybody who has been here more than 4 months blocks train.
I heard some call him wreck for short.

As always, everyones gas filling experience will vary but i did track my time for a PC'er a while back and average in the station was 8 mins but average detour time from my route was 17 mins and the length of this detour was 150 yards but done during rush hour traffic

15 minutes? What are you doing, washing it too? I've never waited even remotely that long to fill. 3 minutes...TOPS. Everytime. I'm in, I'm out.

Your math isn't even close to my math.

You are missing the point. If you are going to complain about the 1 hour recharge time on a long trip that we take once or twice a year, then it is only fair that you also take into consideration the time you spend the other 50+ times filling gas. You can't look this one short coming of an EV in isolation and ignore the dozen other advantages over a gas car. An oil-head like Broader would do that.

DaveinOlyWA said:
As always, everyones gas filling experience will vary but i did track my time for a PC'er a while back and average in the station was 8 mins but average detour time from my route was 17 mins and the length of this detour was 150 yards but done during rush hour traffic

That's about my experience too. I always figure an additional 15 minutes travel time if I've got to stop for gas. Some people fixate on the amount of time it takes to physically pump the gasoline, ignoring the time it takes to actually make that happen vs. simply having continued on course. 3 minutes ain't gonna happen unless you've got a pit crew.

thankyouOB said:
do you block train?
i block train!
I heard everybody who has been here more than 4 months blocks train.
I heard some call him wreck for short.
Yup, he is about the only one on my list at this point.

mkjayakumar said:
15 minutes? What are you doing, washing it too? I've never waited even remotely that long to fill. 3 minutes...TOPS. Everytime. I'm in, I'm out.

Your math isn't even close to my math.

You are missing the point. If you are going to complain about the 1 hour recharge time on a long trip that we take once or twice a year, then it is only fair that you also take into consideration the time you spend the other 50+ times filling gas. You can't look this one short coming of an EV in isolation and ignore the dozen other advantages over a gas car. An oil-head like Broader would do that.

Precisely the reason most people wouldn't take a Leaf on a long trip more than once or twice a year. Because it has a range of 70 miles.

I get the point perfectly. I fill up every ten days and take 3 minutes doing it. So a little less than two total hours a year. People don't care about five minutes here and five minutes there. They WILL, however care very much to have to sit there for an hour every time they go more than 150 miles.

http://www.plugincars.com/are-journalists-trying-kill-electric-car-126612.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are Journalists Trying to Kill the Electric Car?

Yes. It couldn't ever possibly be the product itself. It MUST be big oil, journalists, the big three, man on the grassy knoll...

Train said:
Precisely the reason most people wouldn't take a Leaf on a long trip more than once or twice a year. Because it has a range of 70 miles.

I get the point perfectly. I fill up every ten days and take 3 minutes doing it. So a little less than two total hours a year. People don't care about five minutes here and five minutes there. They WILL, however care very much to have to sit there for an hour every time they go more than 150 miles.

I really don't know where you are getting the 150 mile figure from?

the other day I did a little experiment, I drove 150 spirited miles driving at least 5 mph over the speed limit which meant 75+ mph most of the way with spurts of 80+ aggressively passing in the left lane, ambient temps in the upper 30's the night before and 41 degrees at the time, heat set to 72 degrees, 550W stereo blasting, raining, strong head wind, some elevation gain, I sat "idling" with the heat and stereo on for an hour at the destination while reading a book overlooking the ocean, I returned having used exactly 70% of the charge. I paid virtually no attention to the rated or ideal projection, paid all my attention to the SOC bars. I could have easily gone 215 miles driving like a mad man. had I slowed down and drove the speed limit and not sat "idling" for an hour I would have hit the EPA rated range no problem.

I did do a little preparation before the trip, I had the car plugged in and from the mobile APP I preconditioned the battery and prewarmed the cabin... very little inconvenience, but yes, a little bit of a different behavior pattern than driving an ICE.

evnow said:
http://www.plugincars.com/are-journalists-trying-kill-electric-car-126612.html

First they ignore you.
Then, they laugh at you.
Then they fight you.
Then, you win.
----Ghandi

I'd say we're somewhere between the end of "laugh at you", and the beginnings of "fight you".

Tin+Foil+Hat+Sign.jpeg

I thought we are talking about the Model S, aren't we? moving goal posts?

Why am i feeding the troll? <slaps head>

evnow said:
http://www.plugincars.com/are-journalists-trying-kill-electric-car-126612.html

Do you think that's a leap? Considering that 'journalism' has become more marketing than news, and considering that upsetting advertisers isn't a good plan, does anyone think that MSM will be cheering for a disruptive technology until well after everyone else stops thinking it's disruptive tech?

All we have to do is keep on keeping on, and keep on ignoring the ...how can I put this nicely...Idiots... ;) and we'll get there just fine. :lol:

Back