BP Horizon Deepwater Oil Disaster : Open Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyH said:
Can anyone show me where this image can be found on a BP web site?

Here is a WaPo story on this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/19/AR2010071905256.html

Here is the page from which some of those photos are linked.

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9033571&contentId=7061708

ps : What I'm suprised about is that they are trying these kinds of things at all. There is almost no benefit - and obvious downsides.

Thanks very much. I followed the link to the BP image site, but couldn't find the helo picture. I did stumble on the fake video wall issue.

There's too much manipulation going on. BP's been doing it from the start in words so I'm not at all surprised to find them faking images as well. But the helo shot feels a bit too far out in left field - even for BP. :?

Why they didn't plug the thing at the beginning - and why they felt they could afford to plug it now when the relief wells are getting close to completion - is beyond me. Good thing the plug works, but my point is we haven't yet seen clear rationale for their decision to not attempt this very logical solution early on!

johnr said:
Why they didn't plug the thing at the beginning - and why they felt they could afford to plug it now when the relief wells are getting close to completion - is beyond me. Good thing the plug works, but my point is we haven't yet seen clear rationale for their decision to not attempt this very logical solution early on!

It took them this much time to design a good solution. To me this shows that deep water drilling is just too risky - in the sense that if something goes wrong it will takes months to plug.

Sign of the times?

michigan_spill_sign.jpg

Source

AndyH said:
Sign of the times?

Sometimes I wonder whether these things that used to happen in "3rd world" and we completely ignored are coming home. Niger delta has been completely raped by oil companies and not a cent spent on any cleanup. The people are too poor to have a voice and continue to live and die in those areas. Infact for a century we thought it was our right to exploit natural resources in every part of the world and let the locals deal with the devastation.

But now - we are not only taking major risks with deep ocean drilling but also things like oil sands of Canada which leave the areas as barren as Mars. Canada is now thinking of sending that oil - extracted by destroying the ecology to China ... hmmmm ...

evnow said:
AndyH said:
Sign of the times?

Sometimes I wonder whether these things that used to happen in "3rd world" and we completely ignored are coming home. Niger delta has been completely raped by oil companies and not a cent spent on any cleanup. The people are too poor to have a voice and continue to live and die in those areas. Infact for a century we thought it was our right to exploit natural resources in every part of the world and let the locals deal with the devastation.

But now - we are not only taking major risks with deep ocean drilling but also things like oil sands of Canada which leave the areas as barren as Mars. Canada is now thinking of sending that oil - extracted by destroying the ecology to China ... hmmmm ...

You're right. I only wish they only 'used to happen' in less developed countries. :cry:

There was a great comment some time back on a History channel show that I can't recall...something to effect that the North American native people saw the forest as their home while the European settlers looked at a tree and saw board-feet.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/27/gulf.oil.disaster/index.html

Markey cites letters Suttles sent to the Coast Guard on July 6 and July 11, saying that they should "assume flow rate of 53,000" barrels of oil spilled per day when determining the amount of dispersants to be used for cleanup.

Under current law, BP would have to pay up to $4,300 per barrel of oil spilled if the company is found to be guilty of gross negligence, according to Markey's committee. BP ultimately could pay billions of dollars in fines in addition to the billions it's already spent on cleanup and compensation.

I read that BP will again try a "top kill" next Tuesday. Any idea why they would want to do this now, when it seems the current temporary seal is holding and the relief well which is supposed to seal it for good is still in progress? Since there's no oil leaking now, I would be inclined to leave well enough alone. Any thoughts?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bps-grand-milestone-in-the-gulf-2010-08-04

Meanwhile, BP demonstrated its mastery of the U.S. corporate tax code and Anadarko Petroleum (APC 55.42, +2.28, +4.29%) , its biggest partner on the well, reminded everyone that partnerships have legal limits that don't include liability when things go wrong.

Valuable lessons, all. But most importantly, the past three months have shown the oil industry's gritty resolve in the face of adversity and its remarkable ability to secure employment for another generation of lawyers as it fights to "make things right."

http://www.examiner.com/x-55371-Tam...xic-Tony-Hayward-testimony-may-now-be-perjury

In his testimony before a US Senate investigative panel on the BP oils spill disaster in June, BP CEO Tony Hayward answered multiple questions with, “ I didn’t know anything about that.”

However, amid his stonewalling testimony, Hayward did manage to admit that the drilling mud used in the top kill attempt in May was, "Water-based with no toxicity at all.”

That statement, as it turns out - was not true.

Boycotting fuel stations only hurts the station owner as the vast majority are franchisees and not company owned stores. Boycotting US fuel stations hurts American workers, not BP Corporate.

Here's a copy of BP's 2009 annual report: http://quote.morningstar.com/stock-...BP&ft=20-F&d=d7a2c76b17d03966be77a0517fbe4849

On page 33 we can see the major areas of income for the company. Gasoline sales are 40% of their refined product sales - and refined products are only 1/2 of their crude oil sales numbers.

Like it or not, the US Military is one of BP's largest customers - and they need a LOT of fuel every day...

If it makes one feel good to not buy BP products than go for it. But don't expect to get a significant portion of the world to join in. And without a significant global boycott that includes crude oil and petrochemicals, there isn't likely to be any harm to BP Corporate.

Sorry. :(

AndyH said:
Boycotting US fuel stations hurts American workers, not BP Corporate.

Unfortunately this is the case with any boycott. Infact I'd say - even if it hurts a Irani or Russian worker, it isn't really a good thing. Boycotts disproportionately hurt the working class rather than the management. Even with all the child labor we hear about in developing world - what exactly will that child do if we stop buying the shoes they are making ? They are working because of extreme poverty of their parents - it is not like their parents are evil and want to see their children suffer.

That is why most of the boycotts are symbolic. A way to put pressure on the company management - mostly through bad publicity. Ofcourse in the case of BP - they have such bad publicity, it probably has little effect. Even Republicans are taking back their apolagies to BP claiming "misconstrued misconception".

Back