BC2BC Mexico to Canada via Electric Highway June 12-20, 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony, the camerawork looks great, although I cannot officially condone filming while driving! (Something tells me that's worse than talking on a cell phone!)

Certainly, it's at LEAST as distracting as a cell phone, but oddly enough, video is not illegal (yet). Low speeds, great roads, and a little practice seems to work so far. I do have mounted cameras, too. That shot was with the iPhone 4.

A few more hours to go--->>>

83b59939.jpg

^^^
Thanks for the video. BTW, you might want to enable one of the ad types on your videos so you can possibly monetize the views. :)
TonyWilliams said:
Certainly, it's at LEAST as distracting as a cell phone, but oddly enough, video is not illegal (yet).
I don't know the exact details of the CA hands-free phone law, but I've heard claims that you can't even legally touch your phone while driving. :roll: Not sure how true that is, but perhaps that discussion should be in another thread.

TonyWilliams said:

8:55pm. And they're off! about six hours charging and a little over 30 minutes to diagnose a poorly made connector, and repair it! Tony can tell you more - so glad he brought his tools, etc.!

I sent them up the road with fried chicken, fresh raspberries and lemon snap cookies. Should last 'em until the campground in Big Sur! Good luck and safe travels, Tony!

Thanks for the update. I was wondering what happened. It's dark out :)
LindaK said:
TonyWilliams said:

8:55pm. And they're off! about six hours charging and a little over 30 minutes to diagnose a poorly made connector, and repair it! Tony can tell you more - so glad he brought his tools, etc.!

I sent them up the road with fried chicken, fresh raspberries and lemon snap cookies. Should last 'em until the campground in Big Sur! Good luck and safe travels, Tony!

As I recall, the plan called for more charging at a winery in San Simeon before tackling the Big Sur coast road and its elevation changes. But at 10 pm?

Best wishes and bon chance, Tony.

Boomer23 said:
As I recall, the plan called for more charging at a winery in San Simeon before tackling the Big Sur coast road and its elevation changes. But at 10 pm?

Best wishes and bon chance, Tony.

Nope, looks like he's continuing north from San Simeon, so I guess he's just taking it slow and trusting to his new car's fresh battery pack.

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/2702/morrobay2bigsur.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder what the wind conditions are ...

Thanks for the profile Leafer...and yes he did have a full charge when he left my garage. And lots of optimism to fuel his slow, easy driving.

Looks like he's still going about 25-30 mph - halfway to Big Sur - 47 mi from Morrow Bay, 44 mi to Big Sur. Too bad he's driving this stretch at night - it's an absolutely beautiful drive.

To help visualize his progress you can copy in lat/long coordinates from the Spot tracking website into Google Maps.

Here's a map with his last departure point, current position at this time, and destination.

Looks like he's going to need some reserves to make the nearly 1000 ft peak before he descends into Big Sur, but once he makes that peak he should be good to go. At 30 mph he should be good for 130+ miles pretty easily, so it looks like he's playing it conservative which is good.

Looks like they pulled off the road just south of Limekiln State Park after three hours of driving that road. Hopefully just a rest stop, which would make sense.

If he needs assistance, Limekiln would be the most likely spot to get it. Entrance just south of the bridge and down the hill into Limekiln.

He's about 63 miles from Morro Bay, and he's already done the double dip elevation changes according to LEAFer's topography plot. He should still be okay for power, unless the headlights have sapped more than anticipated.

Looks like they are moving along nicely again after a rest stop. Just passed Limekiln and close to Lucia. Tony had Lucia as a possible charging spot if needed. I'm off to bed!

Yeah, looks like he got moving again. I wish there were a way on the spot map to zoom in on the elevation profile. Right click (in the list view) > Show Altitude Profile seems zoomed out.

having driven that road on the way back from Disneyland a few years ago, i can attest that an average speed of 25 mph is making GREAT time. it is one hairpin turn after another with constant ups and downs. will be a very tough hypermile test for anyone made even tougher at night.

the vision on that road is not good even in day light!

**edit**

actually it looks like he is coming up to the real curvy part. definitely worth waiting till daylight. there are some gorgeous cliff shots on that drive!

Back